Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: La Canfora expects the Rams to "strongly" pursue free agent TE Jared Cook

Rambos is online now Registered User

La Canfora expects the Rams to "strongly" pursue free agent TE Jared Cook

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora expects the Rams to "strongly" pursue free agent Jared Cook if he indeed reaches the market.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher was Cook's head coach in Tennessee, and St. Louis OC Brian Schottenheimer made solid use of similarly vertical tight end Dustin Keller with the Jets. The Rams will have a need at slot receiver if Danny Amendola departs, and Cook played the vast majority of his 2012 snaps in the slot. Just about to turn 26, Cook figures to command in excess of $5 million per year.
    Related: Rams
    Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Titans have decided against franchise tagging Jared Cook, increasing the chances Cook hits the free-agent market.
    The Titans want Cook back -- and figure to continue to negotiate -- but they were unwilling to initiate a battle over his position. Cook had the NFL Players Association's backing that he's a wide receiver after spending 70 percent of his 2012 snaps out wide or in the slot. Free agency opens on Tuesday, March 12. Look for Tennessee to prioritize re-signing Cook until then.
    Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-04-2013 at 05:31 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora expects the Rams to "strongly" pursue free agent Jar

To me, this is a good news/bad news report.

On the positive side, Cook is a promising young TE would would be a good fit with the Rams.

On the negative side, La Canfora is always wrong.
    Rambos and KoaKoi like this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: La Canfora expects the Rams to "strongly" pursue free agent TE Jared Cook

Might be cheaper for the Rams to sign Cook and line him up in the slot a majority of his time on the field rather than resign Danny to a big contract.
    Rambos, Bar-bq, DE_Ramfan and 1 others like this.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

But if the Rams get Jared Cook to play the slot, where is my favorite Rams draft hopeful Tavon Austin going to play

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    But if the Rams get Jared Cook to play the slot, where is my favorite Rams draft hopeful Tavon Austin going to play
    In this scenario? Somewhere else.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I have 3 thoughts on this :

#1 The NFL needs to put a stop to this franchise tag situation where players are TE one day and WR the next...etc...

#2 Jason is simply guessing here - trying to connect dots

#3 Cost is important to Rams -- Cook hasn't put up good numbers in his NFL career but continues to think his potential will pay him...lots of TEs out there making Cook not so hot

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    First of all, Cook is a versatile player as is Austin. They both could line up almost anywhere on the field and be productive.

If Cook's in the slot, Austin could line up outside or even in the backfield. If Austin's in the slot, Cook could line up outside, on the line of scrimmage or as an H-back. It's just a matter of Shottenheimer being creative.

So no worries, IMO they'd have no problems co-existing.

Imagine the match-up nightmares they'd create though.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Between Cook the WR and Amendola the TE, I wonder if the League and the Union will have to come to some sort of agreement on tag amounts for not just WR and TE, but SE, FL, Slot, inline TE, split TE, and H-back?

Instead of just two designations (WR and TE), there may need to be upwards of 6.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Between Cook the WR and Amendola the TE, I wonder if the League and the Union will have to come to some sort of agreement on tag amounts for not just WR and TE, but SE, FL, Slot, inline TE, split TE, and H-back?

Instead of just two designations (WR and TE), there may need to be upwards of 6.
    I don't see that as being particularly feasible. All it would do is create more fights over which tag is to be applied. The problem is confined only to players close to the line between WR and TE. Drawing more lines doesn't solve that problem, it just creates more players who may fit into multiple categories.

Also I doubt the Rams considered tagging Amendola as a TE, or a punter as one report said. I doubt they entertained tagging him at all except to make sure they were all in agreement that they weren't doing it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I don't see that as being particularly feasible. All it would do is create more fights over which tag is to be applied. The problem is confined only to players close to the line between WR and TE. Drawing more lines doesn't solve that problem, it just creates more players who may fit into multiple categories.

Also I doubt the Rams considered tagging Amendola as a TE, or a punter as one report said. I doubt they entertained tagging him at all except to make sure they were all in agreement that they weren't doing it.
    Oh, I don't know. It wouldn't be that difficult. They are already breaking down what percentage of plays these guys are lined up in specific spots. If each of those spots had their own tag number (which is simply an average of top "x" number of players in that position), there would be no more arguing over what amount a player is to be tagged at.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

The actual tweet is this:

with Jared Cook hitting free agency, look for the Rams (with former Titans coach Jeff Fisher) to pursue strongly

While I would be in favor of bring Cook on board, I can't take this as much more then "Hey, this makes sense. I'm going to tweet about it." Not until I see something to suggest the FO is actually considering this.
    Nick likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Oh, I don't know. It wouldn't be that difficult. They are already breaking down what percentage of plays these guys are lined up in specific spots. If each of those spots had their own tag number (which is simply an average of top "x" number of players in that position), there would be no more arguing over what amount a player is to be tagged at.
    We already have fights over whether someone is a TE or a WR. Don't you think teams would attempt to tag WRs at a lower slot depending on lineup? It would create a firestorm of controversy over how players are used and how you define what slot they are in versus how many times they are the primary receiver, etc. etc. Not to mention how much the franchise tag might change depending on players moving in and out of particular slots. Sounds like a logistics nightmare to me, and a gateway to bitter battles between teams and players. Players already despise the franchise tag, no need to make it worse by throwing in the possibility of teams tagging them at lower rates by narrowly defining their position.

So we have a couple of TEs who have been used frequently as WRs and have an argument to be made that they are, in fact, WRs. I don't think that's a reason to create a mess of the system and try to narrowly define roles, potentially creating the situation where there aren't even 5 players at a particular role to define the franchise tag.

Back to Cook: Would love to have him, and would allow the Rams to address other needs early in the draft.

general counsel is offline Registered User

For anyone commenting on Cook's numbers, who exactly has he played with that can throw a pass to him? By definition, when you sign a free agent, you are paying for expected FUTURE performance, not past statistics. Teams commonly screw up in all sports (and in business all the time as well) by paying people based on what they have done in the past rather than what they realistically expect them to do in the future.

I agree that past performance is often the best predictor of future performance, but in a team sport like football, that statistical performance is a function of many different things. Said another way, Cook can only catch balls that are thrown to him, and then only in catchable form. Chances are pretty good that with Sammy, he would have a chance to improve statistically, although i would defer to Fisher and Snead as to what degree Cook would constitute an upgrade over the improving Kendricks and how that fits into our overall plan for cap management to address our needs.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Jim Wyatt, who is a Titans beat writer for The Tennessean, believes Cook could get a contract worth $7-8 million per year on the open market...

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/sta...81113903628288

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jim Wyatt, who is a Titans beat writer for The Tennessean, believes Cook could get a contract worth $7-8 million per year on the open market...

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/sta...81113903628288
    Not in St. Louis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast