smitheRAM is offline Registered User

Late first round pick

What kind of trade, if any, would it take for the Rams to drop to a late first round pick? No hope of getting any of the top ten players.

keith m. klink Guest

Re: Late first round pick

WHY , they can't do that this year , they are not in a position to trade back , they need impact players right now and the best available . maybe trade a few spots back in the 2nd or 3rd if you are concerned about grabbing some extra picks , but everyone knows that the RAMS have too pull 2 day 1 starters on day one of the draft, anything after that is just ICECREAM .

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by smitheRAM View Post
    What kind of trade, if any, would it take for the Rams to drop to a late first round pick? No hope of getting any of the top ten players.
    It would have to be really HUGE. No team would want to give up what it would take, plus, with the 2nd overall pick, the Rams have a rare opportunity to pick up a true impact player and would be foolish not to take advantage of that.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

To get into the mid 20's, I'd have to have the team's entire 2008 draft, the 2009 1st round pick, AND a young "cusp of the pro bowl" player.

For example, if the Jags wanted the #2 pick, they'd give up their entire 2008 draft (#26 pick), the 2009 1st rounder, and Reggie Nelson
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-11-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

chiguy is offline Registered User

Given the depth of OT in this draft, the lack of DEs, and the fact that the best WRs can be had in the second round, it makes more sense to secure another second round pick. It would come cheaper and yield results that are just as good.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Given the depth of OT in this draft, the lack of DEs, and the fact that the best WRs can be had in the second round, it makes more sense to secure another second round pick. It would come cheaper and yield results that are just as good.
    I agree completely, however the problem is, how are you going to do it? We'd need a trade partner, probably two, to trade us down to 5 or 6, and pick up a 2nd and maybe 3rd as well, trade the Chiefs or Jets down and then the X team up to two, probably for McFadden. As great as AP was last year, I just don't see something like that really happening, as McFadden will drop to at least #4. If a team's crazy for Ryan, we make sense, or for one of the Longs, but I don't see those either.

I think it might make more sense to trade down using our second(virtually a late first) into more of the middle of the round, and then trade the picks gained from that and use our third and fourth to trade up into the late second and third.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

How about the NY Giants entire offensive line for the our picks in Rounds 1 and 2? That's about what it would take for me to relinquish those picks.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I agree completely, however the problem is, how are you going to do it?
    I'd offer a swap of third round picks and a fifth or sixth. That *might* be enough to get it done, depending on the team. If the right player was there, I'd consider trading next year's second round pick.

You're right that it is tough to do, which makes it unlikely. And I'm realistic enough to know that. But if we're were to make a trade, I'd so much prefer that it be into the second round than the first. It makes a lot more sense to me in terms of our needs and our cap space. For example, if you have two 2nd round picks you are much more welcome to reach a bit for Gholston.