Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Latest Draft-Week Rumor: Rams targeting WR Hakeem Nicks?

This is from Chicago Bears beat writer Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun Times...

The bottom line is there could be a real run on receivers here. As many as six could come off the board in the first round. You could be looking at 10 or more in the first two rounds. Let's run down a list of teams that could be in the market for a wide receiver in the 25 picks leading up to the Bears' selection.

1.25 Miami: When Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo are two of the top three receivers, help is needed.

1.26 Baltimore: Joe Flacco is the future and Derrick Mason and Mark Clayton will both be free agents after 2009.

1.27 Indianapolis: Replacing Marvin Harrison will be? Some think Ohio State's Brian Robiskie fits here.

1.29 New York Giants: If they don't pick up Edwards in trade from the Browns, someone has to replace Plaxico Burress.

1.30 Tennessee: Rumor is they will lose out on the Torry Holt sweepstakes.

1.31 Arizona: Running back is a much more pressing need, but if they deal Anquan Boldin they could have extra draft picks and then target a wideout.

2.33 Detroit: Calvin Johnson is paired with who?

2.34 New England: Patriots might look defense with their first two picks but they also own the 47th pick and could be looking at a wideout there.

2.35 St. Louis: Word is if Hakeem Nicks makes it this far he will go to the Rams right here.

2.36 Cleveland: Browns really could use a receiver even if they keep Edwards. They are set to work out Rutgers' Kenny Britt on Friday, according to one source.

2.39 Jacksonville: Even if Holt signs here, the Jaguars are in need after letting Jerry Porter, Reggie Williams and Matt Jones go.

2.44 Miami: See above.

2.45 New York Giants: See above.

2.47 New England: See above.
    We know WR is a big need on this team, and Nicks will probably be one of the best players available at the top of the second round if he's there. Do the Rams pull the trigger and pair Nicks with Avery in the West Coast offense?

How would Rams fans react if St. Louis took an offensive tackle in round one followed by a wide receiver in round two?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Latest Draft-Week Rumor: Rams targeting WR Hakeem Nicks?

I like Nicks. I think he is one of the more "camera-ready" WRs in this draft.

I am, however, concerned that leaving the defense until Day 2 could be a mistake. I suppose that if the Rams were to get a MLB in Round 3 (Appleby, McKillop) and a NT in Round 4 (Moala, S.Hll), it could work out okay.

In the end, there will still be holes after this draft. I guess you just go with the BPA. Nicks could be that guy at #35.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know whats scary about all this? is the amount of needs on this team. I've said it before, the Rams could take every position in the top 3 but these: FB, RB, LS, K, P. I've adjusted it to include FB (as if it would be drafted early anyway, as a K or P too). However, the point isn't what I think is not a need. The point is that the Rams need alot and at this point I don't care who they chose. I don't. 2009 is a pipe dream to be successful anyway so Devaney, I'll trust your judgement. Get whoever you think is help this team later. WR, QB, LB, OT, etc etc etc. I don't care.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind grabbing Nicks in round 2. But, that means that defense is a MUST on day 2, and we would have to spend at least 3-4 picks on defense on day 2.

I would want it to go like:

OT
    WR
    SLB
    NT
    MLB
    DE
    C/RB

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i agree with you there TX, although i think at safety we probably dont need an upgrade

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I have a man crush on Nicks, and I'd take him there unless Laurinitis/Maualuga are still on the board. If both are gone, I wouldn't take anyone over Nicks unless there's some other sure-fire first rounder that fell and fits our needs.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I could live with this....provided that the offense is simplified for the Rams. That Wunderlic score for him was not pretty.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I forgot to mention that if this is true, we can all but rule out Sanchez at #2. I don't think Devaney would have the balls to take him and then pass on an OT at #35 for Nicks. If the plan is to snatch Nicks, you can sure as hell bet we are taking one of J. Smith or Monroe at #2.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I have a man crush on Nicks, and I'd take him there unless Laurinitis/Maualuga are still on the board. If both are gone, I wouldn't take anyone over Nicks unless there's some other sure-fire first rounder that fell and fits our needs.
    Exactly how I feel. Nicks is a stud. If he gets past Indy, which I heard Peyton is infatuated with him then we must have him here. Love that Peyton likes him, that means he gotta be good. (No source for this, heard it in a convo with friends the other day).

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If Nicks is there at 35 regardless of who is there I would probably take him, because IMO he would definately be the BPA unless Rey Mauluga is there and WR is a huge need. Since you can find good LBs later I think Nicks along with Robiskie and Britt would be enticing.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

I too would be okay with that (Smith/Monroe , then Nicks) so long as we address the D more or less exclusively afterwards for a few rounds.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If he is the best player, then we should take him. If we pass on Laurinaitis or Malauga however, then i probably would not be very happy. But then I would calm down and realize that I am no talent evaluator and leave it to the pros.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I would love to get Nicks in the 2nd he is a flashy receiver that would help the team.

Nicks: "Its prime-time in St. Louis, oh yea St. Louis fans gettcha popcorn ready"

The Rams need a guy with good height Nicks is okay with that just under 6-1. Also Nicks can leap. Scott Wright compares him to Musin Mohamad.

Also i agree with Bald if Lauriniatis and Mauluga are off the board we go Nicks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't think we should get too tied up with how many picks go to offense or defense. As others have pointed out, we've just got too many areas that need improvement for us to hit them all. What we need are players who will improve the team regardless of which side of the ball they're on.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    what about if Ziggy Hood was still there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast