Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fortuninerhater

Thread: Latest "Per League Source" news ..

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Latest "Per League Source" news ..

Per League Source: St. Louis Rams Have Offers on Table from Cleveland Browns, Washington Redskins and a Few Surprise Teams

Tuesday, February 28, 2012
    By Bear Heiser
    Senior Writer

As the draft stock of quarterback Robert Griffin III soars, so does the value of the No. 2 overall pick currently held by the St. Louis Rams.

While Andrew Luck still appears to be a lock at No. 1 overall, Griffin III has become top choice of many QB-needy teams not named the Indianapolis Colts.

After speaking to a team executive Monday evening, offers for the Rams' No. 2 pick have started coming in, and a few teams have already dropped out of the race.

The Cleveland Browns have been the favorite to land the pick, given they arguably have the most ammunition. Per the league source, Cleveland has offered the No. 4 overall pick, two second round picks and a fifth round pick, but not the No. 22 overall pick. However, if the No. 22 overall pick is a must for the Rams, while reluctant, the Browns would likely be willing to include it.

Another team with an offer on the table is the Washington Redskins. According to the source, Mike Shanahan's team has offered the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks, along with a third round pick and a second round pick in the 2013 draft.

It is believed the Seattle Seahawks are another team who made an offer, but the details of the offer are unknown at this time.

Now this may shock you, but the Mark Sanchez-led New York Jets also spoke with the Rams about the No. 2 overall pick, but as of now, they weren't able to devise a package large enough.

For now, while not necessarily surprising, it appears as if the Browns and Redskins are clear front-runners for the No. 2 overall pick. With that said, this writer fully expects the Rams to deal the pick within the first few days of the league year—which begins March 13 at 4:00 p.m EDT.

Once the league year begins and we learn the fate of Peyton Manning and get an idea as to where Matt Flynn will land, the value of the pick could diminish.

Ultimately, it would be very wise for Jeff Fisher and the Rams to deal the pick while RG3's stock is sky-high and before it ascends back to Earth.

Whatever happened to Armen Dacity? I believe now's the time he should weigh in on this crucial dilema .. Clearly it is becoming more and more apparent that we need to trade the #2 pick before the week is out or all will be be lost ..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Latest "Per League Source" news ..

I hope they hold out making a deal as long as possible so the deals get sweeter. This is simply a first blush and won't be considered until the picks get better and/or more plentiful. We are truly the "winners" of the Combine.

Go Rams!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Truthfully, unless Flynn and Manning go to Washington and Miami in either order, the price will keep going up. Holmgren won't be bringing in either of those guys, so the Browns' offer is going to stay. I can see Flynn going to one of them, but Manning isn't going to either in my mind. He won't want to battle Brady twice a year(also puts Jets out of the running), and won't want to battle his brother twice either. It'd be great for TV, bad for Peyton.

That leaves Washington probably as the odd one out, and the one who will keep driving up the price to keep up with the Browns and any mystery teams. Peyton will be going out west in my mind, either the Chiefs or to our own Shehawks or Cards. Jags would also be an interesting destination, so he could play Luck twice.
    I believe!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Truthfully, unless Flynn and Manning go to Washington and Miami in either order, the price will keep going up. Holmgren won't be bringing in either of those guys, so the Browns' offer is going to stay. I can see Flynn going to one of them, but Manning isn't going to either in my mind. He won't want to battle Brady twice a year(also puts Jets out of the running), and won't want to battle his brother twice either. It'd be great for TV, bad for Peyton.

That leaves Washington probably as the odd one out, and the one who will keep driving up the price to keep up with the Browns and any mystery teams. Peyton will be going out west in my mind, either the Chiefs or to our own Shehawks or Cards. Jags would also be an interesting destination, so he could play Luck twice.
    I don't know what in the world would make you think that Peyton Manning wouldn't go to a particular team because Tom Brady is in the division. Are you kidding, that may be his main reason for selecting the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills.

Peyton Manning is as competitive an athlete as there is, and has ever been. I don't believe he'd give it a second thought not to go somewhere because of Tom Brady. And in fact, I'm sure he'd be insulted at the mere suggestion of that.

Not quite sure how battling his little brother twice a year, would be "bad" for him either.

On to the matter at hand.............. I believe Cleveland would have a deal if they included the 22nd pick or their 1st next year and subtracted one of the 2nds. That would be 2 firsts (both this year or one this year and one next year), a 2nd and a 5th.

I believe Washington would have a deal if they either turned that 2nd next year into a 1st or added a 3rd next year to their existing offer. That would be 2 firsts (one this year and one next year), a 2nd, and a 3rd. Or a 1st, 2 seconds (one this year and one next year), and 2 thirds (one this year and one next year).
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-28-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    FestusRam likes this.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

"SI.com's Peter King confirms the Rams have already received a trade "feeler" for the No. 2 pick from a team "you would never expect."
    Let the intrigue begin. Our initial guesses are the Chiefs, Eagles, Broncos, and perhaps the Jets. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli were blown away by RGIII over the weekend. Griffin told King he "really enjoyed" his time with Andy Reid, and the Eagles have a pair of second-rounders in addition to Asante Samuel and DeSean Jackson to dangle in front of St. Louis. Regardless, the Browns and Redskins remain the heavy favorites to land RGIII."

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    "SI.com's Peter King confirms the Rams have already received a trade "feeler" for the No. 2 pick from a team "you would never expect."
    Let the intrigue begin. Our initial guesses are the Chiefs, Eagles, Broncos, and perhaps the Jets. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli were blown away by RGIII over the weekend. Griffin told King he "really enjoyed" his time with Andy Reid, and the Eagles have a pair of second-rounders in addition to Asante Samuel and DeSean Jackson to dangle in front of St. Louis. Regardless, the Browns and Redskins remain the heavy favorites to land RGIII."
    I believe the Eagles interest is solely based on driving up the price for division rival Washington, which suits me just fine. I absolutely would not take their deal, even for both players and both 2nd rounders. They'd have to throw in Lesean McCoy and Rodgers-Cromartie as well.

I'd be interested in knowing what the Chiefs and Jets are offering though.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I don't know what in the world would make you think that Peyton Manning wouldn't go to a particular team because Tom Brady is in the division. Are you kidding, that may be his main reason for selecting the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills.

Peyton Manning is as competitive an athlete as there is, and has ever been. I don't believe he'd give it a second thought not to go somewhere because of Tom Brady. And in fact, I'm sure he'd be insulted at the mere suggestion of that.

Not quite sure how battling his little brother twice a year, would be "bad" for him either.
    Competitive, yes. Stupid, no. Peyton is going to come back for one reason and one reason only. Rings. He is competing with Brady and Eli for rings. He couldn't care less about regular season stats right now. So, why would he go to a division where it will be extra difficult to get a home playoff game, either of the East divisions, and not go to one of the West divisions, where they have hada constant rotation of who has won, and not because they've been competitive.

Peyton has a year's worth of rust and will be learning to throw to new receivers. He's going to want the easiest path into the playoffs. Why would he want to have to fight for a wild card against Brady, or fight against Vick, Eli, and Romo?

My guess is Dallas for the mystery team. Jerry has never said that Romo is definitely is QB.
    I believe!