Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Latest WalterFootball mock draft

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Latest WalterFootball mock draft

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Lets go back two years ago, we took Pettis and Salas. One is not even on the roster and as I stated. Pettis is not the long term answer IMO. Do you think Pettis is going to be our number one anytime soon or ever? I don't.

Last year we took Quick who may take three years to develop coming form a smaller school. I think he will make a jump this year but from what little we have seen not sure if he is the long term answer.

Seeing as we are in desperate need of playmakers, I say get aggressive and go get them.

I addressed the safety in FA, go get one that is established, since we can't afford a guy like Wallace. We can afford a legit safety.

Sometimes in life you have to play the cards you are dealt. So you tell me what is the answer resign Gibson for his experience? He's going to get 25 million over four years. Go sign a vet that has no upside but has been in the NFL five plus years? It would be nice to have a Jennings with leadership and skills, but the fact is we can't afford that guy. Re-sign Amendola, That works if he is willing to come back at the right price. It is what it is.

I would put Young in this slot with Pettis. Young did most of his work outside but he would do just fine in the slot IMO. I would keep Givens on the outside with his speed. Again I don't have a ton of faith in Young, until I see how that all works out.

I would let Da'Rick Rogers, Cordarelle Patterson and Quick battle for the number one or two spot.

Remember sosa I never forget these post and next year when you are calling out our offense because they sink and you have in the past, I will say see, we could have loaded up and let the cream rise to the top!
    1) Actually, as of right now we have 2 million dollars to spend. With that kind of money we can't afford a Louis Delmas. But, I do anticipate some clearing of the cap. Now tell me, why would we go out and sign a injury prone player to big money? Delmas is a great player when healthy, which isn't often. Also, why would the Lions who are HORRIBLE in the back end (and they are about to lose their #1 CB) let go of their only playmaker in the secondary?..

2) Experience isn't a huge thing, but there is 1 thing I know for certain, and that is that I DAMN SURE want Danny Amendola on my football teams.

3) You say you dont believe and dont expect anything from Young, and yet you want him starting in the slot? What happens if he gets cut? Whose your slot? This reminds me perfectly of the situation the Eagles were in 2 years ago when they had Asante Samuel, DRC, and Asomugha and none of them could play slot, so they slid DRC in there and he sucked.

4) Even if we were to go get a guy like Rogers as well as Patterson, what makes you think our offense will be dynamite next year? WR's RARELY ever come into the NFL and light it up, and I'll sure as hell bet Rogers wont make a difference if we suck next year or not. Maybe in 2-3 years yes, but a 3rd round rookie WR with off the field issues wont make or break this offense next year.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Slow down kid. You already lost me.

When did Jeff Fisher switch to a 3-4?
    What makes Jarvis Jones exclusive to the 3-4? Maybe a player like Dion Jordan or Keke Mingo is exclusively only a 3-4 player, but not Jarvis Jones. He is a clone of Von Miller, and I sure as hell know that Von Miller aint having no troubles at 4-3 OLB.

Keep Jones at 4-3 OLB and let him rush the passer on obvious passing situations.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    4) Even if we were to go get a guy like Rogers as well as Patterson, what makes you think our offense will be dynamite next year? WR's RARELY ever come into the NFL and light it up, and I'll sure as hell bet Rogers wont make a difference if we suck next year or not. Maybe in 2-3 years yes, but a 3rd round rookie WR with off the field issues wont make or break this offense next year.
    i agree with what your saying Sosa, but what other options do we have? We dont have the cap space to sign Bowe/Wallace and maybe even Jennings, and only way we will is if we cut a lot of players, which will make our draft needs even greater. Basically we can sign 1-2 FAs at 5mil or less after cuts while resigning Danny and SJax and maybe Hayes. not sure really. but draft is the best option. Maybe they dont hit it off their rookie year, but in time they will.

I really wish we had 14 draft picks like the ***** do....would make things so much better. maybe not for next year, but for 2014 and beyond. ughh, even that still has its problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    i agree with what your saying Sosa, but what other options do we have? We dont have the cap space to sign Bowe/Wallace and maybe even Jennings, and only way we will is if we cut a lot of players, which will make our draft needs even greater. Basically we can sign 1-2 FAs at 5mil or less after cuts while resigning Danny and SJax and maybe Hayes. not sure really. but draft is the best option. Maybe they dont hit it off their rookie year, but in time they will.

I really wish we had 14 draft picks like the ***** do....would make things so much better. maybe not for next year, but for 2014 and beyond. ughh, even that still has its problems.
    Football is a process my brother. We cant expect to have everything solved in one off-season. The way to build the team is to gain talent off-season after off-season. Unfortunately for us, our past regimes have left huge messes in terms of terrible cap space, horrible drafting, and nothing but busts in the FA pool, leaving our new regimes with lots of work to clean.

Now I'm not saying that Da'Rick Rogers can't be a good player, matter of fact he reminds me a lot of Blackmon/Boldin. I think he can make a good #2 for a team that can utilize him effectively. The problem is, we already have guys that are talented, they just need time to develop and further their arsenal of skills. Givens has all the potential on this earth. Guy can be a seriously good wideout. Everybody knew what we were getting with Quick. He's a guy that'll take time, and I'm willing to give it to him. Amendola is as good as a slot WR as you'll find. I'd like to add another WR to that (Patterson, Hopkins) trio because guys get hurt, they rotate, all that stuff.

I'd rather go into the draft and solve our offensive line issues (Warmack) and be absolutely solid up front. Then we also upgrade Sams favourite spot to go (TE - Ertz or in this case Eifert). Then we have up and coming WR's, as well as the best prospect (most say) in this draft in Patterson.

There is a point where its over-kill. I'm all for adding talent, but you know what happens the second we add both of those guys? Quick enters the doghouse, gets no practice time with the 1's and absolutely no playing time, and BAM you wasted a 2nd rounder who had potential.

If we were talking about adding a #1 WR (Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, even Harvin) as well as a young guy, then I'd be all for it. At least in that case you let all the young guys duke it out but you do have real insurance.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

1) Actually, as of right now we have 2 million dollars to spend. With that kind of money we can't afford a Louis Delmas. But, I do anticipate some clearing of the cap. Now tell me, why would we go out and sign a injury prone player to big money? Delmas is a great player when healthy, which isn't often. Also, why would the Lions who are HORRIBLE in the back end (and they are about to lose their #1 CB) let go of their only playmaker in the secondary?..
    I also made it clear if you even took the time to read my post. Here is what I said...

I would also sign one of the FA safeties. Louis Delmas comes mind he's a bit of an injury risk but that could make him available and at the right price.
    2) Experience isn't a huge thing, but there is 1 thing I know for certain, and that is that I DAMN SURE want Danny Amendola on my football teams.

He is also injury prone player kind of the same boat as Louis Delmas. Both are going to have to take less and both with have to stay healthy.

3) You say you dont believe and dont expect anything from Young, and yet you want him starting in the slot? What happens if he gets cut? Whose your slot? This reminds me perfectly of the situation the Eagles were in 2 years ago when they had Asante Samuel, DRC, and Asomugha and none of them could play slot, so they slid DRC in there and he sucked.
    I said this: I don't have a ton of faith in Young, until I see how that all works out.

Meaning if he makes it through OTAs and Camp.... then I would play him in the slot. Until I see that I'm not starting him anywhere. If he get cut Pettis would play the slot... I think you are making my point here... This kind of reminds me when Amendola got hurt and we slid Smith in there and he sucked because we do not have any depth. Again this MOCK is if Amendola does not get resigned not that hard.

I'm not planning for one year, as I said WR take time to develop. That why the sooner we get the young WR on the team the sooner we can start developing them for the future. You can be negative with any pick you want heck some would say a troubled CB like Jenkins won't have an impact in fact some did and they where wrong.

If you think Da'Rick Rogers or Cordarelle Patterson won't have an impact that's fine. But you can't keep putting off developing talent and then complain when we don't have any playmakers.
    Mike Mayock on Cordarrelle Patterson: “I put the tape on, my jaw dropped. He makes people miss all over the field
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-14-2013 at 06:35 PM.

There is a point where its over-kill. I'm all for adding talent, but you know what happens the second we add both of those guys? Quick enters the doghouse, gets no practice time with the 1's and absolutely no playing time, and BAM you wasted a 2nd rounder who had potential.
    I dont see it that way, Patterson and Rogers would replace Smith and possibly Gibson. And yes, they might push for Quicks reps, but its a dog eat dog world. Maybe in a year we have production from all 3 of them all while Givens is takin it deep. It might be overkill yes, but i rather overkill then undersell it. As i said before, id be more then fine with a TE and WR in rounds 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I dont see it that way, Patterson and Rogers would replace Smith and possibly Gibson. And yes, they might push for Quicks reps, but its a dog eat dog world. Maybe in a year we have production from all 3 of them all while Givens is takin it deep. It might be overkill yes, but i rather overkill then undersell it. As i said before, id be more then fine with a TE and WR in rounds 1-3.
    I never said I didn't want a TE and WR.. Matter of fact, I've made about 10 mocks and just about all of them had me signing or drafting both a TE and WR. And even on this thread I was down with a TE and WR, what I'm not here for is 2 WR's and 1 TE in rounds 1-3...

THE DREAM TEAM

I also made it clear if you even took the time to read my post. Here is what I said...

He is also injury prone player kind of the same boat as Louis Delmas. Both are going to have to take less and both with have to stay healthy.

I said this: I don't have a ton of faith in Young, until I see how that all works out.

Meaning if he makes it through OTAs and Camp.... then I would play him in the slot. Until I see that I'm not starting him anywhere. If he get cut Pettis would play the slot... I think you are making my point here... This kind of reminds me when Amendola got hurt and we slid Smith in there and he sucked because we do not have any depth. Again this MOCK is if Amendola does not get resigned not that hard.

I'm not planning for one year, as I said WR take time to develop. That why the sooner we get the young WR on the team the sooner we can start developing them for the future. You can be negative with any pick you want heck some would say a troubled CB like Jenkins won't have an impact in fact some did and they where wrong.

If you think Da'Rick Rogers or Cordarelle Patterson won't have an impact that's fine. But you can't keep putting off developing talent and then complain when we don't have any playmakers.
    1) You make no sense on Titus Young. " Meaning if he makes it through OTAs and Camp.... then I would play him in the slot. Until I see that I'm not starting him anywhere." ?? How the hell would you start him anywhere before TRAINING CAMP? And if he doesn't make it past OTA's, he wouldn't even be on the team so he'd be irrelevant.

2) How does that make your point at all? You have 5+ WR's on this team, and none of them can play the slot effectively, and yet you say "I make your point" as if it was the same as me having 2 good LT's, 1 gets injured, the other one can step in and play there. None of the WR's in your Mock world are able to play the slot, especially not effectively.

3) You have so many "what ifs". Young could be cut tomorrow. Rogers has off the field issues and looks pretty immature to me. Banking on Pettis to play the slot if Young cant make it, and by the way, history suggests he wont? You really think that's a recipe for success?

4) I don't understand what Janoris Jenkins has to do at all with this conversation. I didn't hear not 1 person pre-draft talk about Jenkins not having an impact. Matter of fact, all I heard was he has great hips, should be in contention for the #1 CB, and WILL make an impact. Sure there were OFF THE FIELD CONCERNS, but no-one ever questioned his ability as well as the impact he has on the field...

5) I never said Patterson won't have an impact. Will he have 1,200+ receiving yards and 10+ TD's? Probably not, but thats not the point. I said don't think with Patterson our O will be ranked 25th and if we added Rogers all of a sudden we would have been ranked top 10.

THE DREAM TEAM

I never said I didn't want a TE and WR.. Matter of fact, I've made about 10 mocks and just about all of them had me signing or drafting both a TE and WR. And even on this thread I was down with a TE and WR, what I'm not here for is 2 WR's and 1 TE in rounds 1-3...
    I wasnt putting down your past mocks or ideas Sosa. I didnt say that to argue with you, was just saying what i would like. Ive agreed with your mocks for the most part. I can understand why your against drafting two wr's early, i really can. But i can also understand the logic behind doing it. My ideal draft is like yours, a WR and TE early in the draft. But if we went overkill on wr early in the draft, i wouldnt mind it as much as you is all.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think if you look at my post I have always said we should draft a WR if we got Jennings in FA.
    Always? Sorry, I'm calling BS on this.

In October, in your Pick Three Players thread, you stated that Greg Jennings and Amendola would be more than enough for Bradford. Around Thanksgiving, you said you not only had no problem passing on a FA receiver, but on top of that, you changed your opinion on drafting a receiver and think the Rams should get another young playmaker (indicating you didn't think they should before).

So no, you can't now say you always wanted to draft a receiver if the Rams got Jennings, sorry. If anything, your views on how the Rams should approach the WR position going into 2013 have changed numerous times over the course of the last half year.

Which would be absolutely fine... if you weren't trying to convince me now that they actually never did.

Finally...

Overkill? Guys get hurt during the season... rookies take time to develop. We need to get better on the offense if we are going to become a legit playoff team.
    I would let Da'Rick Rogers, Cordarelle Patterson and Quick battle for the number one or two spot.
    It's pretty tough to try and have it both ways here. You seem to be arguing on one hand that rookies take time to develop while on the other suggesting that both rookies would immediately compete for starting jobs. That just doesn't seem very realistic, as we found out with Quick in 2012. I don't think a person who really believed rookies take time to develop would be so quick to move on from Pettis and wavering already on Quick's long term prospects.

I believe - and I feel like I've maintained this for a while now - that the best thing to do for Sam and this offense to address this desperate, immediate need at the position would be to find a way to bring in a veteran, #1-type receiver who can step on the field on Day One and be that kind of go to target for Sam. I really hope they can dig deep and find the cap room to do that. I think in the absence of a veteran, a first or second day receiver would be the next best solution. But two in the first three rounds?

It's important to remember there are only so many snaps to go around. If the Rams have a starter in Givens, add another starter in Patterson, and add a legitimate receiving tight end in Eifert, then suddenly everyone else - Quick (2nd rd), Pettis (3rd rd), Rogers (3rd rd if you had your way), and Young (waivers) - become situational players with limited numbers of snaps.

Look at the snap totals for teams with two established starting receivers and a capable tight end in the passing game. Teams like Atlanta, Houston, the New York Giants, and Dallas, for instance. Heck, look at teams like Cincinnati, San Diego, even Detroit who have one established receiver and kind of rotated the second and third guys through part of the season. There really aren't a lot of snaps to go around to the #4-6 guys, and in some cases, not even the #3 guy either if the tight end is seeing a lot of time on the field.

That's why, IMO, it's overkill. That pick can be better spent on a guy who is going to see the field more, and thus, have more of an impact on this team's success. If you want to draft a second receiver after getting one in the first, I'd much rather see it done on the third day, where it's easier to justify doubling up on a position because of the expectations generally associated with those picks.
    TekeRam and sosa39rams like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Always? Sorry, I'm calling BS on this.

In October, in your Pick Three Players thread, you stated that Greg Jennings and Amendola would be more than enough for Bradford. Around Thanksgiving, you said you not only had no problem passing on a FA receiver, but on top of that, you changed your opinion on drafting a receiver and think the Rams should get another young playmaker (indicating you didn't think they should before).

So no, you can't now say you always wanted to draft a receiver if the Rams got Jennings, sorry. If anything, your views on how the Rams should approach the WR position going into 2013 have changed numerous times over the course of the last half year.

Which would be absolutely fine... if you weren't trying to convince me now that they actually never did.

Finally...

It's pretty tough to try and have it both ways here. You seem to be arguing on one hand that rookies take time to develop while on the other suggesting that both rookies would immediately compete for starting jobs. That just doesn't seem very realistic, as we found out with Quick in 2012. I don't think a person who really believed rookies take time to develop would be so quick to move on from Pettis and wavering already on Quick's long term prospects.

I believe - and I feel like I've maintained this for a while now - that the best thing to do for Sam and this offense to address this desperate, immediate need at the position would be to find a way to bring in a veteran, #1-type receiver who can step on the field on Day One and be that kind of go to target for Sam. I really hope they can dig deep and find the cap room to do that. I think in the absence of a veteran, a first or second day receiver would be the next best solution. But two in the first three rounds?

It's important to remember there are only so many snaps to go around. If the Rams have a starter in Givens, add another starter in Patterson, and add a legitimate receiving tight end in Eifert, then suddenly everyone else - Quick (2nd rd), Pettis (3rd rd), Rogers (3rd rd if you had your way), and Young (waivers) - become situational players with limited numbers of snaps.

Look at the snap totals for teams with two established starting receivers and a capable tight end in the passing game. Teams like Atlanta, Houston, the New York Giants, and Dallas, for instance. Heck, look at teams like Cincinnati, San Diego, even Detroit who have one established receiver and kind of rotated the second and third guys through part of the season. There really aren't a lot of snaps to go around to the #4-6 guys, and in some cases, not even the #3 guy either if the tight end is seeing a lot of time on the field.

That's why, IMO, it's overkill. That pick can be better spent on a guy who is going to see the field more, and thus, have more of an impact on this team's success. If you want to draft a second receiver after getting one in the first, I'd much rather see it done on the third day, where it's easier to justify doubling up on a position because of the expectations generally associated with those picks.
    Here is my first crack at it... After the last game has been played here is where I stand.

Free Agent
    Greg Jennings WR

Re-Sign
    Steven Jackson
    Danny Amendola
    William Hayes
    Rob Turner

Draft:
    Rd 1 - Chance Warmack, OG, Bama
    Rd 1 - Tyler Eifert, TE, Florida
    Rd 2 - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor
    Rd 3 - Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    Rd 4 - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
    Mock Draft by Rambos

No sure if I'm full of **** or not but here is my mock that I was thinking of if I had chimed in on another mock... forgive me they all seem to merge together after awhile. In this mock I'm taking Jennings and drafting a receiver.

To be honest Nick I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Hub put up a mock I respond to what the mock did and said what I would do. You then commented on my post. You are the one trying saying it overkill and that's fine no worries...

I think you read to much into my post... I don't what to hijack this thread with what has been the on going receiver chatter so I will end it here... seems to happen all to often these day when post.

Time to just lurk for awhile.

Here is my first crack at it... After the last game has been played here is where I stand.

Mock Draft by Rambos

No sure if I'm full of **** or not but here is my mock that I was thinking of if I had chimed in on another mock... forgive me they all seem to merge together after awhile. In this mock I'm taking Jennings and drafting a receiver.

To be honest Nick I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Hub put up a mock I respond to what the mock did and said what I would do. You then commented on my post. You are the one trying saying it overkill and that's fine no worries...

I think you read to much into my post... I don't what to hijack this thread with what has been the on going receiver chatter so I will end it here... seems to happen all to often these day when post.

Time to just lurk for awhile.
    I don't want to hijack the thread either, but you claimed you've always supported a specific strategy that I knew you hadn't. So I went back and found some previous posts to show that.

It seems, because of that, you're saying you're going to stop responding and lurk for a while. That seems like an overreaction, when I'm only doing to you what you just told Sosa in this very thread you'd do to him if he complained about our lack of weapons next season.

Again, I have no problem with people who change their mind. I change my mind often. But it's silly to try to suggest your opinion has always been one thing when it hasn't, and it's even sillier to seemingly get upset when someone does to you what you just said you'd do to someone else.
    sosa39rams likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

What makes Jarvis Jones exclusive to the 3-4? Maybe a player like Dion Jordan or Keke Mingo is exclusively only a 3-4 player, but not Jarvis Jones. He is a clone of Von Miller, and I sure as hell know that Von Miller aint having no troubles at 4-3 OLB.

Keep Jones at 4-3 OLB and let him rush the passer on obvious passing situations.
    Yes, we all know that Mel Kiper compared Jones to Miller. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. But even if he could perform in a 4-3 as Miller has, would that mesh with the Fisher/Walton philosophy? Could our Run D support a full-time blitzing LB?

Not to mention Jones' health risk.

Why not take the better overall player, Warmack? He would fit the scheme better with much less risk. Not to mention, he's just simply the better player.
    Nick likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Why not take the better overall player, Warmack? He would fit the scheme better with much less risk. Not to mention, he's just simply the better player.
    This is going to be a very interesting draft, I think. You've got Kiper with Jones at the top of his board, and Mayock with Warmack at the top of his. Talk to ten different scouts/analysts/journalists, and you'd probably get ten different top players in this class. Heck, even Ryan Nassib is viewed by at least one person as the best prospect in the class (really, Russ Lande?). Could make for a very exciting April, especially at the top of the first round depending on how these QBs shake out, that's for sure.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is going to be a very interesting draft, I think. You've got Kiper with Jones at the top of his board, and Mayock with Warmack at the top of his. Talk to ten different scouts/analysts/journalists, and you'd probably get ten different top players in this class. Heck, even Ryan Nassib is viewed by at least one person as the best prospect in the class (really, Russ Lande?). Could make for a very exciting April, especially at the top of the first round depending on how these QBs shake out, that's for sure.
    I like the comment made by one of the experts (Mayock, I believe?) that "picks 5 through 20 are basically the same".

It's a good year to have 16 and 22.
    Nick likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast