throwback week

sakl18 is offline Registered User

LeGarette Blount

When I look at LaGeratte Blount, I see a talented player with some character concerns and a fair amount of talent. I think that we should consider him in the fifth round for several reasons.

1) He would provide us with the #2 back that we've been looking for, and he could step in for a game or two and start if Jackson gets hurt. He's a bruiser of a back, and we could use him on third and short situations amongst other things.

2) He would bring a great versatility to our running game. We could keep defenses guessing by going with a two back set as they wouldn't know who's getting the ball. He could also play spot duty at full back so he could fill in for Karney or lead block in a two back set.

3) He's a second round talent who has fallen to fifth round consideration because of his character concerns. However, I don't think that the concerns are as bad as some people make out. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Boise State incident was disgusting and there was no excuse for it, however I think his problems lie with controlling his emotions rather than off-field incidents. He would be in a good situation in St. Louis as SJax could take him under his wing and really help him develop as both a running back and a person. Also, I think that he's smartened up after the Boise State game, as he now knows that there will be severe consequenses for his actions (he wasn't even expected to play college ball again, let alone get drafted).

Overall, I think that he would be a steal in the fifth round and that he would be in a good situation to really develop and mature here in St. Louis. What are your thoughts on him?

msha is offline Registered User

Re: LeGarette Blount

If he's there in the fifth and we have not drafted a RB yet, I would not mind picking him up

Damned Ramz Guest

I dunno he can't be very smart...punching a guy with all those cameras around?? what are you thinking guy?

Hopefully after he slips in the draft he'll come into the nfl with a chip on his shoulder and smartens up. I think a 5th rounder for that talent would be worth the trade-off of character flaw, but with spags' whole four pillars thing I doubt it...the four pillars is probably good for such a young team tho....

The Optimistic Lamb Guest

What does that say to the rest of the team? We are willing to make an exception if you're good enough?

Team integrity above all. Go Rams!!!

sakl18 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    What does that say to the rest of the team? We are willing to make an exception if you're good enough?

Team integrity above all. Go Rams!!!
    DeSpags have come out and said that they are willing to overlook some things when drafting players as they know that people do dumb things when they're young (and older, for that matter). Blount's problems occured a little while back and I think he has been showing remorse about it. whether that's enough to fit in the exception range, I don't know, but I think he has a chance.

#39 Fan Guest

The fifth round is ideally where I'd have us drafting a back as well (1 Bradford, 2 BPA-DE/DL/CB, 3 Curran/Worilds/Edds/Etc, 4 Graham/Gonzalez/Dickson, then a RB2), if he or Tate are there, they're definitely worth consideration, imo

edit: for the record, I'm cool with rolling this year with Avery, Robinson, Gibson, Amendola, and Foster - I want to see what we have here when they're together, and hopefully healthy for an entrie season.
    Last edited by #39 Fan; -04-06-2010 at 03:22 AM.

Herron63 is offline Registered User

In regards to the four pillars comment, I think what Spags is trying to do is a great thing, but now lets see if it works. If Blount falls that far in the draft snatch him up. Let him then come into an environment where high character standards are placed on him, and see if he buys into the culture. Everyone deserves a second chance and no oe should be completely written off because of their past. I dont condone what happened by any means, but sometimes having a culture of high character means that you need to reach out to people that need to learn to build their character. Just my feelings on it maybe I am too nice. Don't forget I believe he was mentored by Tony Dungy after the accident. If he can find something good him in the Rams sure could.