swatter555 is offline Registered User

Less worried about Bradford these days

Drafting an unproven in the NFL QB to a massive contract is a tough thing do. In a general sense, I think focusing on settling our QB issues should be the Ram's most important focus. Certainly that seems what we are about to do, but drafting a less than stellar QB or even a bust is such a huge concern considering the dollars we would have been putting up.

I have been doing some research on recent QB busts and in retrospect there were often warning signs that were overlooked because physical talent was so great. Physical talent was always there, but the busts almost always had character flaws or weren't all that smart. In retropect it is no doubt easier to spot those things, but they were often purposely overlooked.

After reading about Bradford and watching his interviews, he is a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders. His intangibles seem to be really high. Everyday that passes I am a little less worried and think he will do at least very well. Of course signing him to that contract, you expect him to be a superstar, but lets just take that one step at a time.

At this point, I think there is a good chance he will be the best thing to happen to the Rams since we got Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner emerged.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Re: Less worried about Bradford these days

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Drafting an unproven in the NFL QB to a massive contract is a tough thing do. In a general sense, I think focusing on settling our QB issues should be the Ram's most important focus. Certainly that seems what we are about to do, but drafting a less than stellar QB or even a bust is such a huge concern considering the dollars we would have been putting up.

I have been doing some research on recent QB busts and in retrospect there were often warning signs that were overlooked because physical talent was so great. Physical talent was always there, but the busts almost always had character flaws or weren't all that smart. In retropect it is no doubt easier to spot those things, but they were often purposely overlooked.

After reading about Bradford and watching his interviews, he is a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders. His intangibles seem to be really high. Everyday that passes I am a little less worried and think he will do at least very well. Of course signing him to that contract, you expect him to be a superstar, but lets just take that one step at a time.

At this point, I think there is a good chance he will be the best thing to happen to the Rams since we got Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner emerged.
    Rick Mirer?

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I still have a ton of anxiety about Bradford. Are we going to start him? What can we do to keep him from getting blown-up in the pocket?

In 2009, Bradford was KO'd by a 234lb linebacker. Watch that video. BYU's Clawson makes a nice clean hit, and Bradford is out for the season.

Everyone seems willing to bet that our O-line can protect Bradford, but it ties me in knots thinking of a 300+lb defensive lineman turning Bradford into paste.

This is where my anxiety stems. One big hit or awkward tackle, and our shiny new QB is on the sidelines. I read that Bradford's shoulder may be stronger than before due to advanced surgical techniques. I hope it is bionic, or they laced his bones with adamantium, or something, because the evidence suggests that Bradford has trouble staying healthy when he is peeling himself from the turf.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

You offer some interesting points. I too have come away impressed with Bradford's demeanor and personality but what struck me the most was this: He is an avid chess player. Now hear me out, just because he plays chess doesn't mean he's going to be a great QB but the point is, he has a mind for football; exploiting defenses and being smart with the football...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post

This is where my anxiety stems. One big hit or awkward tackle, and our shiny new QB is on the sidelines.
    On the same token, one awkward fall or chop block and Suh's knees could be done. Remember he had surgery on them. Freak or 'bad luck' injuries can happen to anyone at any time, it would be unwise to pass on a player for that type of injury concern. Not all types mind you, but that type.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

I'm not worried about Bradford's shoulder should we take him. I'm worried that he's going to start too soon. Hell, if the Rams take him, I would sit him for 1 and half seasons! I simply do not trust the talent around him. He has no go WR or TE to bail him out. There's questions about the OL staying healthy, so he needs upgrades at the skill positions, and more depth on the OL before I'd even put him in the game. That said, with the holes this teams has, filling other positions would make a bigger impact, and give them a season or two to adjust to playing in the NFL for future seasons. Just hard to justify paying a guy that much money to sit on the sidelines for that long of a time. That's how I see it. Oh well...4 days to remake the David Carr story.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think the points about injury are important and still a concern for me too. Berg and Varg also make good points about injury concerns are universal.

At this point, I say start Bradford. Who does he really have to learn under? I know it was too expensive to keep Bulger for the purposes of being an instructor, but in order to keep Bradford on the bench, he needs someone to learn from.

I think we can design the offense to help him along, only at first counting on him to make the occasion tough throw in a tight situation. If we do it right, we can start him.

I also like the fact he is a chess player. I know an avid chess player and he has a very strategic mind. At the same time, the chess analogy only goes so far. Chess players are not really constrained by time to make decisions. I think the chess player stuff will help with game week planning and analysis.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

I have the exact opposite reaction to Bradford. I find him monotone and with a lack of ambition. Take Grudens one on one he just said "yea" with a pen in his mouth all the time.

System QB with smarts will work for 8 figures guy and we need that in the least. I'll give him that.

not sure he is a leader and can think on the fly. in other words a chess player.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    On the same token, one awkward fall or chop block and Suh's knees could be done. Remember he had surgery on them. Freak or 'bad luck' injuries can happen to anyone at any time, it would be unwise to pass on a player for that type of injury concern. Not all types mind you, but that type.
    Except they're there's an obvious difference between Suh's injuries and Bradford's. Suh played three full seasons after his knee surgery in 2007 (and a previous one to clean up something from high school). Bradford played in three games in 2009 and got hurt in two of them.

Suh has shown since his injuries that he's been able to not only stay healthy but play at a high level in the process. Bradford has not done this. Their circumstances are apples to oranges. The concern regarding Bradford's injuries isn't just about a freak injury. It's about whether he's going to be able to take the kind of punishment that NFL defenders are going to give out.

Freak injuries can happen to anyone, and there's no way of predicting that. But there is a legitimate concern as to whether Bradford will be able to handle the hits at the next level, because he couldn't do so at the collegiate level without getting hurt. That goes beyond just freak injuries, but speaks to the overall durability of the player.

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    At this point, I say start Bradford. Who does he really have to learn under? I know it was too expensive to keep Bulger for the purposes of being an instructor, but in order to keep Bradford on the bench, he needs someone to learn from.
    A.J. Feeley knows the offense and should help mentor Bradford to some degree. I think if he had to open the season as the starter, he could. But if Bradford's only competition at the position is Feeley and Null, it's hard to not envision him getting on the field sooner rather than later.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!