Rambos is offline Registered User

Lets do what it takes, go out and get some players.

Lets get serious and beef up our defense, why not go out and add some big time players to this side of the ball. Do we not have the cap room? What would we need to do to allow us to make a run at some of the talent out there? I would like to bring these guys in, to show we want to balance out both sides of the ball.

OLB Cato June

CB Nate Clements

DE Aaron Kampman

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Lets do what it takes, go out and get some players.

I think any team is going to have a hard time getting all three of these guys based on the contract size they'll probably demand. Clements very well could ask for something similar to what Champ Bailey got two years ago when he became a Bronco (seven years, $63 million total, $18 million in bonus). It's hard to say what June and Kampman will demand, but both had great seasons and are not likely to be signed for cheap.

I'm not convinced this club wants to pony up that much money for a player, considering how difficult it was to sign Orlando Pace to a smaller contract this spring. But if we were to acquire Clements, I imagine there are other linebackers and defensive ends out there that wouldn't command the bigger paychecks but could still be very servicable.

For linebackers, I would look at Akin Ayodele (Jaguars),
    Ben Taylor (Browns), David Thornton (Colts), Keith Adams (Eagles), Nick Greisen (Giants), Scott Fujita (Cowboys), and Warrick Holdman (Redskins).

At defensive end, I'd check out Carlos Hall (Chiefs), Kalimba Edwards (Lions), Kyle Vanden Bosch (Titans), N.D. Kalu (Eagles), and Raheem Brock (Colts).

These are players that I think can add something to this defense but aren't in the top tier and will likely have more reasonable contract demands.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

lets take Keith Adams off because we need a strong side backer. Also, no Kalimba, he is a bust and Kyle will likely cost too much as a free agent.

I'm not convinced this club wants to pony up that much money for a player
    So it’s more of a business decision not to spend the money. We need to get some big time playmakers on the D. Holt, Pace, Bruce, Marshal all pro bowlers, Hall of fame candidates. Name the HOF players on the D. Holt, Pace and Bruce are not cheap. We need to spend some cash on the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Holt, Pace and Bruce are not cheap. We need to spend some cash on the D.
    You basically outlined the problem. We have a number of big money players on offense that make it difficult to spend money on the defensive side of the ball. Yet when someone brings up the possibility of having to do something with Bruce because of his high cost, the idea is scoffed at for sentimental reasons.

What is the number that's floating around? Something like 30-40% of the Rams' cap money is spent on 5-6 offensive players? You can't do that AND expect a team to go out and spend millions upon millions landing the best (and most expensive) free agents. That's one of the reasons the Rams signed Claiborne and Coakley rather than spending more money to get a player like Hartwell, Bell, or Pierce.

We have estimated 16M in cap room, which is pretty healthy. I know the last two years we where still paying Warner’s contract that’s a done deal now. Bruce I love like the rest of us but he needs to restructure his deal. Marshal already did his deal last year. Pace just got a big contract but he was not cheap when he was tagged every year. For a QB Marc is pretty cheap. It seems every defensive player we develop we can’t afford once they come into there own, that has to stop, we need some guys on the defensive that can turn a game around.

We are going to have to spend the cash to get this D playing in the top ten.

It’s funny during the season most of us thought our defensive players where just not up to the task. We look like a high school team at times, could not stop any body. But now that the season has ended, well maybe Bartell will play better, Fisher is not so bad, Hargrove will come around, it’s the scheme all wishful thinking? I hope we start to balance out the pay scale on both side of the ball.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-11-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    We are going to have to spend the cash to get this D playing in the top ten.
    I agree. An estimated $16M in cap room is pretty healthy. Consider last year that we had an estimated $15M in cap space prior to franchising Pace, and even after doing so, could still make a moderate splash in free agency, with Claiborne and Coakley being the biggest signings. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to land at least one high quality free agent if not more, although I'd be interested to see how the CBA factors into our strategy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    An estimated $16M in cap room is pretty healthy.
    With the rookie cap being, what, about 4-5 mil, that would leave us 11-12 mil for FA.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What kills me with all this salary cap stuff is the total lack of loyalty by the players. The league needs to create some sort of clause that rewards players for playing on the same team for an extended period of time.

Just my opinion.

:clanram:

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    With the rookie cap being, what, about 4-5 mil, that would leave us 11-12 mil for FA.
    And that $11-12 million for free agents will also have to cover resigning our own. For instance, for those that want to resign Pickett and Archuleta, that number's going to go even lower.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    And that $11-12 million for free agents will also have to cover resigning our own. For instance, for those that want to resign Pickett and Archuleta, that number's going to go even lower.
    Resigning those two turns an $11-12 million into half that.....about where we were last year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    What kills me with all this salary cap stuff is the total lack of loyalty by the players. The league needs to create some sort of clause that rewards players for playing on the same team for an extended period of time.

:clanram:
    That would be nice. Maybe they could knock off a percentage of the cap number for each year over a certain number that the player had been with the same team. Say after 6 years with a team, your salary starts being figured for cap purposes at 5% less than it really is for each additional year or something like that. That way the home team could always afford to pay them a little better to stay put. Just a thought.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0
    Won't happen without guaranteed contracts. Loyalty of players? What about team front offices that cut loose players who have bleed for the organization and want to stay? While I understand your sentiment, money will trump this issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]