Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    chipperjones is offline Registered User

Re: Let's get this out of our system now.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Oh, that's a good point chipper. Never thought of that one. If Carriker and Ryan are good enough at DT's to bypass on Dorsey, why an OT like Jake Long when we have Pace and Barron?

DE. DE only. The sword to the Rams throat if they chose anything BUT a DE in Round 1.

Damn the torpedos, full DE ahead.
    Your being sarcastic arent you???but oh so correct.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

"Rams take V. Gholston"

Would be a great pick, provided we traded down to #6 to grab him. This guy is not a prospect on par with Dorsey, either of the Longs, etc. Yes, I realize he "fills a need." Is LT going to be a need anytime soon? Which is easier to grab, a franchise LT or a one-dimensional DE?

This isn't just about '08. I hate to break it to you, but no single player we draft is going to propel us into the SB next year. Yes, Gholston can contribute next year. So can J. Long. But J. Long has the added advantage of being a better prospect at a more important position over the next 10-15 years. Next year we'll likely be in a position to draft a Gholston-like player in the mid 1st round. We won't be in a position to draft a franchise LT, which are hard to come by outside of the top 5 picks.

Gholston is a short-sighted pick who will not help our team as much as the other prospects in the long run.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I believe we need a DE in the first round. If Chris Long is gone, it has to be Gholston. Any other position we pick, and we're done. We need to fill that DE position. Sure, Jake Long will be a good player for any team that signs him, but we have NO DE.

Thats why our defense is ranked so low. there is absolutely no pass rush on this squad, and quarter backs get nearly a year and a half to throw back there. Our DB's look bad because we have no front four. Once we figure this problem out (by drafting C Long or Gholston) we can address the many other needs we have.

After signing Macklin, we addressed one problem. We need to add a good WR because Bennett won't do any better than he has in the past. He won't ever reach that one good season he's had in TEN. So why rely on him? He's already proven that he won't succeed much more. Sign a new receiver, Hardy, Manningham, whoever. Just get it fixed.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

The Dolphins select Matt Ryan the Rams Select Glenn Dorsey.

Me: HOLY _____ you have got to be kidding me

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    In the 4th Round, the Rams select Dennis Dixon to play WR.

Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I believe that was a Mike Martz thing, I think Linehan is far more conservative in that area. So I think we're safe as far as drafting QB's to turn them into WRs and RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    "Rams take V. Gholston"

Would be a great pick, provided we traded down to #6 to grab him. This guy is not a prospect on par with Dorsey, either of the Longs, etc. Yes, I realize he "fills a need." Is LT going to be a need anytime soon? Which is easier to grab, a franchise LT or a one-dimensional DE?

This isn't just about '08. I hate to break it to you, but no single player we draft is going to propel us into the SB next year. Yes, Gholston can contribute next year. So can J. Long. But J. Long has the added advantage of being a better prospect at a more important position over the next 10-15 years. Next year we'll likely be in a position to draft a Gholston-like player in the mid 1st round. We won't be in a position to draft a franchise LT, which are hard to come by outside of the top 5 picks.

Gholston is a short-sighted pick who will not help our team as much as the other prospects in the long run.
    You certainly have a right to your opinion, but I disagree wholeheartedly about Gholston. I see Gholston as a Dwight Freeney type and he will make a world of difference coming off the edge opposite Leonard Little for our pass rushless defense.

I agree it's generally harder to find a LT than it is a DE, but disagree that they can't be found outside of the top 5 picks. In fact most are found outside the first 5 picks. You just have to do your homework, and not rely on he-said, she-said so much.

Besides, at the salary Orlando Pace is making, I think we need to squeeze at least 2 more years out of him.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You certainly have a right to your opinion, but I disagree wholeheartedly about Gholston.
    That's the purpose of this thread, to air our differences before the draft when things become more emotional.

In any case, I guess we'll see about Gholston. Having misplaced my crystal ball, I obviously can't say Gholston won't be the best pick in hindsight. I'm just saying given what we know at this time, I believe there's a good chance that J. Long will have a better career than Gholston. If the Rams take Gholston then I hope I'm wrong.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    The Dolphins select Matt Ryan the Rams Select Glenn Dorsey.

Me: HOLY _____ you have got to be kidding me
    I can one up that... Dolphins select Glenn Dorsey, Rams select Matt Ryan.

That's one big WTF moment right there! I think I'd probably say something x-rated followed by, "Well, let's just wait and see who my new favorite team picks... I wonder if there's a Clan Colt"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    That's the purpose of this thread, to air our differences before the draft when things become more emotional.

In any case, I guess we'll see about Gholston. Having misplaced my crystal ball, I obviously can't say Gholston won't be the best pick in hindsight. I'm just saying given what we know at this time, I believe there's a good chance that J. Long will have a better career than Gholston. If the Rams take Gholston then I hope I'm wrong.
    J.Long may well end up having a better career than Gholston. But that still doesn't mean he would be a better pick than Gholston for this current Rams team. The fact that the Rams in it's current state need a pass rushing DE far more than they need a LT only makes it obvious (to me at least) that Gholston would be a better choice at this time.

So there is no need for your crystal ball afterall.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I believe that was a Mike Martz thing, I think Linehan is far more conservative in that area. So I think we're safe as far as drafting QB's to turn them into WRs and RBs.
    If you insist on being a fuddy-duddy, the Linehan version:

"In the 4th Round the Rams select Dennis Dixon to play TE.

Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Better?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

RG: With the second overall pick in the 2008 draft, the St. Louis Rams select Howie Long, DE, West Lakes retirement viallge.

BBQ: ?

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

How about any tight end, in any draft for the next 6 years? I'd be pissed if we took didn't take an O-lineman in the first, and one of the top tackles was sitting there at #33 and we pass.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    If you insist on being a fuddy-duddy, the Linehan version:

"In the 4th Round the Rams select Dennis Dixon to play TE.

Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Better?

Now that's more like it.

Linehan: Does anybody know how many reps he did at the combine?

TE's coach: Seems kind of small for a TE coach. What's he, about a buck 70?

Linehan: Yeah, but he's quicker'n hell.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Every year there will be some draft pick that sends a certain percentage of the membership here in apoplectic shock. The Rams will pick a player who some are convinced will be the downfall of this team. It may start sane, but inevitably will end up in some maniacal fit that sacrifices all reason and logic at the alter of hyperbole.

You get the point.

Alright Clan, let 'em hear ya.
    In order to knash my teeth and whine with conviction - along with making informed comments on other posters - it is imperative that I wait until after the draft ..

39thebeast is offline Registered User

with the second overall pick the Rams select Frank Caliendo, TE, Fox Sports

Me: Well at least the TE position will be funny in the right way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast