View Poll Results: What would your pick be at 11 if all these guys were there?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Cutler - QB

0 0%
  • Vernon Davis - TE

13 37.14%
  • Chad Greenway - LB

0 0%
  • Michael Huff - DB

21 60.00%
  • Haloti Ngata - DT

1 2.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Lets just say this happens...then what??

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    I think it's more telling of the perceived disparity in value.
    The perception is that if we get either of those two, we're getting a really special talent.
    yeah I agree I wouldn't mind either I hope one of them falls to us Given a choice I would pick Huff because I think there are better TE's available in 2 than S/CB

general counsel is offline Registered User

Huff, unless vernon davis can play defense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    huff...

good TEs can be had in round 2...

Agree, its gotto be Defence and I would go for Huff!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

viper is offline Registered User

I would love to have Davis, but I'd have to go with Huff. Our secondary has just been shredded too often for too long. We need to get that turned around now!

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Thats sorta hard Huff or Davis......I'd go with Huff...

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I like the BPA strategy, and I feel Huff is the BPA from that list. I like Lewis or Klopfenstein in the 2nd.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Vernon Davis. In my opinion the best player available and he is definitely one of our needs.
    I agree with RF16, Vernon Davis has the potential of being a major offensive impact similar to Gates. It would open up our offense, and prevent defenses from double teaming our 1 and 2 WR's. While some feel that our TE needs could be filled in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I believe that our backup LB's, secondary, and DL's can be filled in those same rounds in this draft. An instant impact TE of Davis' caliber doesn't come along often, and Linehan has indicated that his offense will incorporate the TE extensively. Unlike some have said, we have no appreciable depth at TE, and NEED this pick badly. I say take Davis. In fact, I believe the Rams should trade up to get him.
    Last edited by bigredman; -04-13-2006 at 09:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

While I will concede that the tight end spot could be filled later, I just can't pass on Davis. If we're selecting on BPA, I think Davis wins out. I would rather take Davis and the best linebacker available in round 2 than Huff and the best tight end available in 2, and we don't know who will be left in round 3. I am willing to stand with what we have in the secondary if necessary. Butler, Brown, Fisher, Bartell (if he doesn't move to safety), and Groce give us pretty good depth at corner. Chavous, Atogwe, Carter, and Bartell (if he does) give us decent depth at safety. I can't say the same for TE.

raleigh_ram is offline Registered User

Why Huff? I know we had problems last year with the secondary, but don't you think that had alot to do with the coaching? I think Huff is very talented, but we already enough capable players lined up to compete for starting positions from last year and have added one from FA. Vernon Davis and Michael Huff could be considered of equal talent-- just on opposite sides of the line, but I like Davis. We are lacking in TE's. He could fill a major hole, if he played to is potential. We have plenty of picks to choose another player to compete for a secondary position. Probably a player not as talented as Huff, but with all the compitiion it will bring the best out of whoever(whomever) we choose.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh_ram
    We are lacking in TE's.
    And we're loaded in safeties?

We need two starters at safety. Chavous should be one, and Atogwe who played in FOUR games last year, looks to be the other. Behind them, the only other safety that's not a camp body is Carter.

Two starters, and one back-up. We're not exactly rolling with depth or a proven capable free safety.

So Nick, you are saying that given the players we have on TE's and Safety, the TE position has a better starter and depth the both safety positions? What do you think about Manumaleuna not showing up for the non manditory work outs? I like both Huff and Davis, but I think if Davis is going to be there, which I don't, at the 11th pick, Linehan is going to choose him. Our defense needs improvement, but I feel we already have enough NFL experienced players for us not to choose a first round secondary player. If Huff starts and sometimes fails at safety then it will be far more detrimental than Davis failing sometimes at the TE position. Anyway, Linehan will choose, what he and the rest of the Rams organization, feels is the most talented regardless of the position.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So Nick, you are saying that given the players we have on TE's and Safety, the TE position has a better starter and depth the both safety positions?
    No, I'm not saying that, nor did I in my response.

My point is we have an experienced starter (albeit one who needs upgraded) at the tight end position, where only ONE player starts and does not always see the field on every offensive down. There are a variety of offensive plays in which the tight end isn't on the field.

Meanwhile, we have one experienced starter at safety, where TWO players start and ALWAYS see the field (barring perhaps rare goalline packages). Our "starter" at free safety played in a very small number of games last year, and our lone back-up was unimpressive and needs a good amount of work.

Furthermore, our defense is in far greater need of a playmaker than our offense is, considering the personnel on each side of the ball.

What do you think about Manumaleuna not showing up for the non manditory work outs?
    Hard to tell. Maybe it means he recognizes the fact that the Rams are likely to look for an upgrade at TE. Of course, they can do that outside of the first round with Day One players like Joe Klopfenstein, possibly Marcedes Lewis, and definitely an Anthony Fasano. Not to mention Day Two.

Our defense needs improvement, but I feel we already have enough NFL experienced players for us not to choose a first round secondary player.
    Who is the NFL experienced player that will start for us at free safety? Atogwe has NFL experience in a whopping four games! I like the kid, but come on. We have one experienced safety that has shown he can play (Chavous), and we need two. Maybe Atogwe is that guy, but I'm not so confident in him that I'd pass up on Michael Huff in the process, knowing that this is a deep class of tight ends and, given the talent at our offensive skill positions, tight end will likely never be the primary focus of this team, so a playmaker at that position is a luxury, not a necessity.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    I agree with RF16, Vernon Davis has the potential of being a major offensive impact similar to Gates. It would open up our offense, and prevent defenses from double teaming our 1 and 2 WR's. While some feel that our TE needs could be filled in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I believe that our backup LB's, secondary, and DL's can be filled in those same rounds in this draft. An instant impact TE of Davis' caliber doesn't come along often, and Linehan has indicated that his offense will incorporate the TE extensively. Unlike some have said, we have no appreciable depth at TE, and NEED this pick badly. I say take Davis. In fact, I believe the Rams should trade up to get him.
    I agree man. I happen to think that when Vernon Davis comes into the league that he is already a Top 10 Tight End. Thats just my thought.
    RamsFan16

Nick, Huff hasn't played one second of PROFESSSIONAL football. Everything Huff has done COLLEGENTLY shows he MAY be a great NFL player, but one never knows. At least our safeties have a range of NFL experience. Huff has zero experience. I do not want to come across like do not like Huff, I would love to have him on our team, I would rather have Davis if available. Just a difference of opinion. Anyway, Huff and Davis probably will not be there...therefore I like Manny Lawson. I know it's a stretch...lol

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

My point is we have an experienced starter (albeit one who needs upgraded) at the tight end position, where only ONE player starts and does not always see the field on every offensive down. There are a variety of offensive plays in which the tight end isn't on the field.
    There are a variety of defensive plays that leaves only on safety on the field. The TE position is very important in Linehan's offense. If Davis somehow fell to the Rams, you cant pass on him.The Rams have one TE on the roster with game experience, I believe. Where's the depth there? The one TE we do have is not starter material.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast