View Poll Results: What would your pick be at 11 if all these guys were there?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Cutler - QB

0 0%
  • Vernon Davis - TE

13 37.14%
  • Chad Greenway - LB

0 0%
  • Michael Huff - DB

21 60.00%
  • Haloti Ngata - DT

1 2.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Lets just say this happens...then what??

There are a variety of defensive plays that leaves only on safety on the field.
    I'd like to hear more about these defensive sets that include only one safety.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by raleigh_ram
    Nick, Huff hasn't played one second of PROFESSSIONAL football. Everything Huff has done COLLEGENTLY shows he MAY be a great NFL player, but one never knows.
    Since this applies to every rookie coming out of college, I don't see what the point is of specifically associating it with Huff. I don't recall seeing any NFL contests on Davis' resumé either.

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    There are a variety of defensive plays that leaves only on safety on the field.
    And I mentioned goal-line packages. Can you expand on the variety of other packages that don't feature two safeties?

Somehow I can't imagine there are as many as you imply, and they certainly aren't featured as much or more than the offensive packages without a tight end.

You're right, we don't have good depth at tight end, which is why we need to address it on Day One. But we also don't have it at safety, either. Davis and Huff are both excellent prospects. So what does it boil down to?

To me, it boils down to the near bottom of the barrel defense that was on the field compared to the offense that, even with injuries, line issues, and an inconsistent running game, still ended the year in the top ten.

I'm not opposed to taking Davis at all, but IMO, it has to be because there isn't a stud defensive player on the board that could really help the part of our team that needs the most talent.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I'd like to hear more about these defensive sets that include only one safety.
    Hopefully that was just a typo or a brain fart on RJ39s part.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

raleigh_ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    No, I'm not saying that, nor did I in my response.

My point is we have an experienced starter (albeit one who needs upgraded) at the tight end position, where only ONE player starts and does not always see the field on every offensive down. There are a variety of offensive plays in which the tight end isn't on the field.

---He maybe a starter and have experience, but I have hurt nothing good about him. How long has he been in the league and had a chance to prove himself---6 years. Why was Collins drafted and Williams signed, because he hasn't proved he is the starter.

Meanwhile, we have one experienced starter at safety, where TWO players start and ALWAYS see the field (barring perhaps rare goalline packages). Our "starter" at free safety played in a very small number of games last year, and our lone back-up was unimpressive and needs a good amount of work.

Furthermore, our defense is in far greater need of a playmaker than our offense is, considering the personnel on each side of the ball.

---We already have young and veteran players that haven't had time to prove themselves. You think Huff is going to come in and take over a starting position. How do you know? You've only seen him perform in college.

Hard to tell. Maybe it means he recognizes the fact that the Rams are likely to look for an upgrade at TE. Of course, they can do that outside of the first round with Day One players like Joe Klopfenstein, possibly Marcedes Lewis, and definitely an Anthony Fasano. Not to mention Day Two.

Who is the NFL experienced player that will start for us at free safety? Atogwe has NFL experience in a whopping four games! I like the kid, but come on. We have one experienced safety that has shown he can play (Chavous), and we need two. Maybe Atogwe is that guy, but I'm not so confident in him that I'd pass up on Michael Huff in the process, knowing that this is a deep class of tight ends and, given the talent at our offensive skill positions, tight end will likely never be the primary focus of this team, so a playmaker at that position is a luxury, not a necessity.
    ---You can't pass on a TE like Davis, They don't come around that often.

Well, like you said, difference of opinion. Davis is an amazing prospect, but Huff isn't too shabby either. They're both top eight players on my big board. One's not significantly better than the other, and in this instance, I would take the one that would most significantly help my team. IMO, that's Huff.

raleigh_ram is offline Registered User

If Huff is there...I say take him---Although I like Manny Lawson, alot. Nick,How do you feel about Lawson?

I see Lawson as a late first round guy. Right now I have him projected to New England at 21. He hasn't skyrocketed up draft boards like Ware and Merriman did last year, for various reasons. I don't think he'd last very long into the second round if he fell out of the first, though.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

you have to take huff, he is a starter right away for us, davis would be to, but huff is the bigger need, but i would love to have either one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123