throwback week

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's Make A Deal!!!

This time of the year, the popular talk is always about what the Rams will do with their 1st pick. Rarely is there consensus on a single player. However, there is not even consensus on IF the selection should be a player. Why don't we "trade out" of the pick?

Much like the phrase "I'll take the rest on a gift certificate, Pat" was the easiest option for contestants on the old school Wheel of Fortune, the phrase "let's trade the pick for more picks" is equally rewarding in results and vague in detail. It's like saying, "let's draft a pro-bowler with our first pick." Great idea, but where are the details?

So here's what this thread is for:

Post any ideas for trading out of the #2 pick that you have. But you got to give us some details. What do we get in return? Are players involved? If so, what are the cap ramifications? Who is our trade partner? Why would our partner agree to the trade?

Maybe you are of the opinion that we should actually use the #2 pick to select (insert player's name here). Great......take it to another thread. This one is for all those pick brokers out there that want to see #2 turn into something else.

So with that.....

LET'S........MAKE......A...DEAL!!!
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-23-2009 at 11:59 AM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

Re: Let's Make A Deal!!!

worst thread ever created

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Care to expand on your observation?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

SJacks039 Guest

I admit im a pick trader and I know its harder than said to trade that pick. Maybe someone would like to snatch Crab before seattle(Oak, Jags,Whiners?). I would say what we could expect back but i dont have a draft pick point system. Maybe they switch their No.1 with us then give us a 2nd and 3rd possibly another pick just depends on how far back the team is we would trade with. I don't know just taking a stab.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    This time of the year, the popular talk is always about what the Rams will do with their 1st pick. Rarely is there consensus on a single player. However, there is not even consensus on IF the selection should be a player. Why don't we "trade out" of the pick?

Much like the phrase "I'll take the rest on a gift certificate, Pat" was the easiest option for contestants on the old school Wheel of Fortune, the phrase "let's trade the pick for more picks" is equally rewarding in results and vague in detail. It's like saying, "let's draft a pro-bowler with our first pick." Great idea, but where are the details?

So here's what this thread is for:

Post any ideas for trading out of the #2 pick that you have. But you got to give us some details. What do we get in return? Are players involved? If so, what are the cap ramifications? Who is our trade partner? Why would our partner agree to the trade?

Maybe you are of the opinion that we should actually use the #2 pick to select (insert player's name here). Great......take it to another thread. This one is for all those pick brokers out there that want to see #2 turn into something else.

So with that.....

LET'S........MAKE......A...DEAL!!!
    Hub, great idea for a thread. Notwithstanding Richtree's snide comment.

I've had a scenario that I have been kicking around for awhile now and it involves the Jets. For this to work they have got to absolutely fall in love with one of the QBs available-namely M. Stafford or M. Sanchez. Admittedly when I first conceived of this,Sam Bradford was the player I thought would be available, but, alas, he did not declare.

At any rate, it works like this: Since it is looking more and more each day that Favre will NOT return to play for the Jets next year,and all they have on their roster right now is Kellen Clemons, they are going to need a QB to build around. Sooo...the deal is this:
    1.) We trade our first pick overall to the Jets

2.) Jets agree to trade their first and second picks in this draft AND their first and third picks in next years draft.

I realize thisscenario is not very likely in that neither Stafford nor Sanchez have the appeal to motivate teams to pay a king's ransom to move up. But, like I said, I figured Bradford may have been the franchise-type of QB that would make this work.

WHAT SAY YE?

richtree is offline Registered User

because now you are going to get a brunch of trades that aren't realistic

and for the few that are realistic they probably have no shot anyway because with a new coach and management there is a 99% chance we are going to keep this pick

then you are going to have people talk about trading up and down to draft certain players that after the combine won't even be there

How many people actually believe this would ever happen or is even fair.

""""" Jets agree to trade their first and second picks in this draft AND their first and third picks in next years draft.""""""""""""

Lets all calm down, wait for combine, lets enjoy the super bowl , hopefully dirty Kurt can win another one, and try to post something that is more fact than fiction

txramsfan is offline Registered User

rich, it's the offseason.....we have to come up with creative ideas to make things interesting around here after December.

I don't think we should trade our first round pick, but I could see us swapping 2nds and picking up an extra third from someone.

because now you are going to get a brunch of trades that aren't realistic
    Maybe, maybe not........but that determination itself if worthy of debate.
    and for the few that are realistic they probably have no shot anyway because with a new coach and management there is a 99% chance we are going to keep this pick
    And when did improbability become a deterrent to discussion? If that were the case, there is no need to mention another Rams SuperBowl because that too probably won't happen either. Yet we discuss the possibility regardless of probability.
    How many people actually believe this would ever happen or is even fair.

""""" Jets agree to trade their first and second picks in this draft AND their first and third picks in next years draft.""""""""""""
    To answer the question, it only takes two......Devaney & the Jets decision maker. But that is beside the point. The suggestion itself is the discussion point.
    Lets all calm down, wait for combine, lets enjoy the super bowl , hopefully dirty Kurt can win another one, and try to post something that is more fact than fiction
    Rich, I know you're new here, but what you have to understand is that speculation is what drives any fan site. We are fans, not reporters. It is opinion and debate of future events that keeps this place moving, not recitation of past facts.

But you already know this. A large number of your posts have been speculation, not facts, as to the NFL career of Kenny Britt. Know what I mean?

jbell15 Guest

The MOST we will get if we swap 1st round picks with the jets will be a second and third.
    i have been thinking more along the lines of the jags falling in love with one of the tackles or the ***** falling in love with crabtree.
    that would give us either the nine or eleven pick, and bring us back a second rounder.
    that would allow us to either take oher or maualuga in the first and have two, very well needed, second round picks.

Quote Originally Posted by ramarkable
    At any rate, it works like this: Since it is looking more and more each day that Favre will NOT return to play for the Jets next year,and all they have on their roster right now is Kellen Clemons, they are going to need a QB to build around. Sooo...the deal is this:
    1.) We trade our first pick overall to the Jets

2.) Jets agree to trade their first and second picks in this draft AND their first and third picks in next years draft.
    You said it right.......they'd have to fall in love with one of the QBs to make it happen. Jumping from 17 to 2 will cost a pretty penny, so they better be star-struck by their man.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Nice. So let's talk more about Kenny Britt shall we?

One possible scenario is that maybe the Giants would want to get Crabtree, because their receiving corps isn't that great. With the Burress incident, they have Toomer who is getting older and slower, a developing Hixon and Smith, and I think that's it.

Another possibility could be where the Titans want to get Crabtree, because their receiving corps isn't all that great either.

The Steelers might want to trade up and grab a top-tier tackle to help solidify their o-line, but with so many talented o-linemen this year, the chances for trading picks with them look slim.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ohhhh nice with the Titans. They are desperate for an impact WR and Crabtree would be perfect for them

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

What about the Eagles trading their two 1st rounders and a player (maybe Lito Shephard) to the Rams for the Rams first rounder. The Eagles have two good but aging OT's and could have their choice of OT's. They also might have a shot at Stafford if they decide to let McNabb go.

My Ram picks would all have good size for their positions as well.

My Ram picks would be:
    Round 1:
    21st: James Laurinaitis MLB 6'3 245
    28th: Alex Mack C 6'5 316
    Round 2:
    35th: Ron Brace DT 6'3 330
    Round 3:
    67th: Fenuki Tupou OT 6'5 328

Some alternate picks:
    21st: Brian Cushing LB 6'4 245, Tyson Jackson DE 6'5 292, Eben Britton OT 6'5 310
    28th: Max Unger C 6'5 300

That would give us the following:

DL
    Long
    Brace
    Carriker
    Little (Ideally get Peppers only save 2 mil if we cut Little so keep 1 yr unless we get Peppers)

LB's
    Pisa
    Laurinaitis
    Witherspoon

CB's
    Bartell
    Shephard
    Hill
    King

FS
    Atogwe

SS
    Free Agency / Draft after 3rd round / Trade (Pace or Holt also reduces cap)

OL
    Tupou / Grecco
    Incognito / Setterstrom
    Mack /Romberg
    Bell
    Barron / Bell

QB
    Bulger

WR
    Avery
    Burton
    Bennent
    Stanley
    Looker

TE
    McMichael

RB
    Jackson

FB
    Free Agency / Draft after 3rd round
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-23-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ohhhh nice with the Titans. They are desperate for an impact WR and Crabtree would be perfect for them
    Ahhh, see this is interesting. I'd say perhaps a more apt target would be our own Torry Holt.

Draft kenny britt round 2 !!!!!
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -01-24-2009 at 09:27 PM.