Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Barry Waller

Thread: Lets Play Rams GM

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Lets Play Rams GM

OK, all you amateur GMs, lets play a little game of roster building, using what Les Snead has to use to build the 2014 team, not just starters, but key backups.

As of now, you have $10 million in cap room, and the following players under contract that count on the cap, as well as free agents that do not who could return.

The number after the FA player is cap hit to retain, so subtract those from the space if YOU keep them in your plan.

Players who look to be cut, and the cap savings is also entered. If you cut, add that space

Also, key players in last year of deal included, with extra cap number if redone NOW

Only 51 players count, the top 51 highest.

QB Bradford / Clemons (UFA $ 2 million)
    RB Stacy, Cunningham, Richardson, Pead, Reynolds
    WR Austin, Quick, Givens, Bailey, Pettis/ Veltung( ERFA $.4)
    TE Cook, Kendricks, Harkey/ McNeill (RFA $.7 million)
    OT Long, Barksdale, Person
    G Washington, Dahl ($ 4 million)/ S. Smith (UFA $1 million), Saffold (UFA $4 million), C. Williams (UFA $2 million)
    C Wells ($4.5 million), B. Jones, T. Barnes (ERFA .6 million)
    DS McQuade
    K Zuerline
    P Hekker

TOTAL PLAYERS SIGNED - 23

DE Quinn ($2 million more in 2014), C. Long, Hayes, Sims, Brodine
    DT Brockers, Langford ($4 million), Conrath, Cudjo
    LB, Laurinaitis, Ogletree, Brown, Armstrong , Steward, Bates/ Dunbar (UFA $1.5 million), Witherspoon (UFA $1 million)
    CB Jenkins, Johnson, Finnegan ($4 million), McGee
    S McLeod, McDonald, Davis, Daniels / Stewart (UFA $.6 million, Pointer (ERFA .4 million)

TOTAL PLAYERS SIGNED 23

SO here are the holes left to fill, using the Rams 2 #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, 4#6 and 2 #7 picks with estimated comp picks, and the free agency cap

Here is a list of the top free agents.
    Top 101 NFL free agents for 2014 - NFL.com

You can figure top guys will cost $8 million plus in cap year one even.
    Second tier guys would cost $4-5 million cap.

Next tier $2 to $4 million

All depending on position and depth at the position in FA.

QB - 1 dvelopmental guy ( I am assuming Clemons returns, couple year deal for that $2 million cap hit)
    RB - No need, could add big RB later in draft
    WR -1-, but ONLY a guy who would compete as #1 right away
    TE - NONE
    OT - 1
    G - 2 Starters, or 1 depending on signing own FA, and a good young guy at G/C swing even if they sign both and cut Dahl as expected.
    C - None unless Wells is gone, then 1 starter. Could also look draft same as guard

DE - None
    DT - 1 young future starter if possible on draft day.
    LB - 2 - one "will" starter, one versatile backup, unless Dunbar returns.
    CB - 1 starter if Finnegan returns, 2 if he doesn't, at least one a starting caliber veteran
    S - 1 FS starter, and a young swing guiy backup.

That's 9-12 possible spots to fill, depending on who they bring back.

So show me how you fill those spots, and the players you think you can draft based on projected draft slot.

No overreaching for an impossible dream, like Roby or Verrett in rd two,D. Bailey in round three etc. Let's keep it real.

Also, I would kind of assume Saffold is a goner, as I don't see the Rams paying more than a $3 to $4 million a year for him first year cap hit.

I myself am assuming Clemens will return, because he proved he can win games if called on.

Have at it guys and gals, build me a winner, without crushing my cap in 2015 and 2016 and beyond by VASTLY overpaying top FA. No overreaching here either, be realistic.

We want to see how accurate we are compared to what the Rams do, not build a playstation team, OK?

So no signing Alex Mack Or Eugene Monroe or even Jairus Byrd, UNLESS you trade a first rounder for him.

Unfortunately no draft trades yet either, though I am sure one at least will happen, moving UP as well as down at some point. I'm pretty sure the Rams can add a pretty high #2 in this draft but too early to see who goes #1 so....

Barry Waller

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lets Play Rams GM

Okay... I'll bite.

QB (developmental): Jeff Matthews, Cornell (Draft: Round 6)

The guy I really want is Jimmy Garoppolo, but I'm not willing to invest a No. 2 pick (unless the Rams get an extra one through a trade). Matthews had a great week at the East/West Shrine game and could be a sleeper.

RB (depth): Tyler Gaffney, Stanford (Draft: Round 5)
    Solid, do-everything, type back who could be a good compliment to Zac Stacy.

WR (potential No. 1): Kelvin Benjamin, FSU (Draft: Round 1, #13)
    I'd prefer Mike Evans, but I think he'll be gone. Benjamin needs to develop his game, but he'll be a size mismatch from day 1.

OT: Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (Draft: Round 1, #2)

I wouldn't argue with Greg Robinson here, but Matthews has a slight edge for me given his camera-ready status.

OG1: Chris Williams (re-sign)
    Cost-effective, and should improve as he becomes more comfortable inside.

OG2: Brandon Thomas, Clemson (Draft: Round 4)
    Would be a nice addition, particularly in the running game.

C: Scott Wells (retain)
    Could see him pushed by Barrett Jones, which could allow the Rams to move on from his contract.

DT: Deandre Coleman, California (Draft: Round 7)
    Perhaps a slight reach, but the Rams could package both of their 7th round picks to get him in Round 6.

SLB: Chris Borland, Wisconsin (Draft: Round 3)
    Perfect fit as a run-stopper on first and second down, and would also provide depth at MLB.

LB (depth): Jo-Lonn Dunbar (re-sign)
    I'm assuming the price will be reasonable.

CB: Cortland Finnegan (restructure contract)
    Lower his cap number, and I think a healthy Finnegan could have a comeback season in Gregg Williams' defense.

CB: Alterraun Verner (FA signing)
    I like the idea of spending FA money on player who are young enough to play out their contract.

FS: Ed Reynolds, Stanford (Draft: Round 2)
    Top of the second-tier behind Clinton-Dix and Pryor.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

QB (Developmental): Aaron Murray, Georgia (Draft Rd4)
    Recovering from a torn ACL and undersized but has time to develop.

RB (Depth): James Wilder JR, Florida State (Draft Rd5)
    A knock on him is that he has yet to prove that he can be the number one - he may not need to be.

WR (Potential No.1): Jarvis Landry, LSU (Draft Rd2)
    Another young addition to the WR corps, adds toughness after the catch.

OT (Starter): Greg Robinson, Auburn (Draft Rd1/2)
    Will open the holes for the running game.

Should be cheap enough and knows what’s required.

OG2: Dakota Dozier, Furman (Draft Rd3)
    Late conversion to guard but has tremendous upside.

C: Scott Wells (Retain)
    The Rams missed his experience at season’s end.

DT: Jay Bromley, Syracuse (Draft Rd6)
    Has some pass rushing ability.

SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar (re-sign)
    The defence improved when he came back from suspension

LB (Depth): Khairi Fortt, California ( Draft Rd7)
    Versatile, aggressive and has range. One to develop.

CB: Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State (Draft Rd1/13)
    You can’t have enough good CB’s. Looks the pick of them this draft.

CB: Courtland Finnegan (Restructured contract)
    Fisher’s guy, he will be given another chance to prove himself

FS: Malcolm Jenkins (FA Signing)
    Gregg Williams knows how to get the best from him, and the price shouldn’t be too bad.

OK, one change. Bills aren't tagging, or re-signing Byrd, so he is available.

Cost : 5 Years, $45 million. First year cap hit $8 million. Then $9 million the rest of the deal.

This is 10% over what Dashon Goldsen got from Tampa Bay , pretty much what he will end up getting.

Fisher got the top CB in Finnegan in 2012, the top OT in Long last year. Can he do it again, with an advantage maybe of Byrd being a St Louisan in high school?

I say why not. Other teams have multiple holes to fill and/or big free agents of their own to tag or sign.

Fisher and Snead should be camped on Byrd and his agent's doorstep March 11.

He should be their ONLY big task this offseason. It frees up their draft a ton.

His agent, Eugene Parker, is a tough nut, but the Rams have dealt with him before, and he gets deals done.

The fact that he wants a ton of cash may drive off the Eagles, who are the Rams biggest competitor.

However, they are gonna have to pay their QB a lot soon, if he plays like he did last year. They have about $9 million in raises for signed guys in cap hit alone in 2015.

However, they do have a lot of cap, more than the Rams, and t he rumors of their desire for Byrd have been all over for a year,

Would Byrd see a better or at least even shot at winning back home as in Philly, hardly a dream destination for athletes?

Fisher is gonna need to turn on the charm, and being an ex-NFL safety, maybe he can build something and get Byrd signed before he leaves town for a tour.

it could be all about where Parker takes him first.

And the Rams better be all in to make it St louis, with a full court press.

The Rams should have $18 million to spend on free agents this year, more if they redo Wells.

Finnegan and Clemens Dunbar,and Williams and Smith should get some to return, maybe $7 million total but rather than overpay Saffold, I ignore him until I get a deal with Byrd or not, and even then it's a fair one time offer, not some crazy overpay.

The Rams should have $18 million in cap room, so even after those above deals, they have $10-11 million left. That's without a Wells adjustment or cut.

Philly had $11 million in cap room before signing Maclin for a year, at a cap cost of $3.5 to $6 million.
    Probably just the $3.5 plus some incentives will count, so the Eagles have only $7.5 million or so available to spend.

They can probably add some by redoing contracts, but they don't have a glut of space, and in fact, the Rams have more with the expected cuts.

So head to head, neither the Rams now Eagles has an edge in cap shape to add Byrd
    Vinnie25 likes this.
    Barry Waller

I guess i should go ahead and put something here, though circumstances could change my ideal plan/

My first move is to offer Chris Williams a two or three year deal for about $2 million first year cap hir. He can take it or move on. I offer what I want to pay to Dunbar and S. Smith, take it or leave it at about $2 million cap hit total.

Then on March 12th, I sign Jairus Byrd to a four year, $36 million deal, with a $8 million cap hit. It's what he's gonna get, and why he would have just played under the tag for that number.

Then, I would cut Finnegan and Dahl, but sign BOTH back to two year deals totally about $5 million cap hit.

Since I assume Saffold is gone, I bring back Dahl, who has played well when healthy, and given the Rams some grit as well. I especially do this if Williams walks.

I have now used all my available cap room. I will redo Wells to get room for my draft picks, and I don't need that room till June. Maybe I take a DT in round one and cut Langford and save $4 million, or a extend him and get cap relief. next year, with his cap number, he's as good as gone anyway.

If i didn't sign Williams, Dunbar, or Smith, I use that cap to sign Clemens, and if I do Keep Williams, I still have enough there. I think Clemens actually may come closer to $1 million, than $2 cap hit wise.

That's all my cap room, but I have PS squad guys that don't count cap wise who could add depth.

There are some guys like Cody Davis or Michael Person that will compete to make the team again.

A guy like Ray Ray Armstrong gets more chance at "will" OLB, and is my top backup there going in.

OK. now all I have is the draft and undrafted guys, or trades, to build the rest of my team.

However, I have kept Dahl and Williams and Dunbar, to provide stability and some veteran presence and attitude. I have also kept Finnegan, who I feel can bounce back big as a slot C for that attitude.

I have Clemens as my backup QB, and I go after a development guy in round four, either Mettenberg, Murray, Fales, or Thomas. The first two are coming off injuries, but Mettenburg is a first or second round guy when healthy, and Murray is a third or second. I might take a flyer on Taj Boyd in round six as well, just to see what he's got.

I'm gonna say we can get Mettenberg somehow.

As far as RB, I love a lot of these college guys coming out, and if Henry Josey falls past round four, I gotta look at taking him. Really any RB that is a value pick after round three would warrant a look. If I don't take one by round five, I'm taking James Wilder jr or George Atkinson, both big backs with NFL DNA.

TE I am fine with my TE, and may bring McNeill back at the minimum.

WR Since I have my safety, and the CB group is very deep this year, I use pick #13 for Mike Evans or kelvin Benjamin, both huge targets with big upside, and different than what the Rams have at WR.

OT - I have J. Long and Barksdale under contract, and i make barksdale a solid backup by taking Jake Matthews with the first pick, either at #2 or at #6 after a deal down.

G - I now have Dahl and Williams, and maybe Smith in place, and some have been saying that Barrett Jones appears to be a better guard than center. Even so, I'n not comfortable here, so I use a third rounder on a guard, among 1. Chris Watt, 2. Brandon Thomas, 3. Anthony Steen. If a C. Richardson or Dakota Dozier falls to mid round three, I go for them first.

Now, in my perfect world, the Rams have added the fifth pick of round two by dealing down with the Falcons so they get Clowney.

If THAT happens, I am now in play for David Yankey, Gabe Jackson, Xavier Sua-Filo, or Cyril Richardson with pick 37 OR 44. I'm gonna wait till 44, cause I have other plans if I have 37.

C - I keep Wells, who has played OK when not injured, and draft a center in round five -seven. I'll say it's Gabe Ikard or Brian Stork.

DE - I am full here, might look for late round bargain as a special teamer and development guy, a designated OLB tweener type pass rusher. A guy like Larry Webster

DT - I keep both starters in place, try to lower Langford's cap hit this year, and bring back Cudjo and Conrath. I'll be looking for a bargain in the mid rounds, but could also surprise earlier if a value falls such as WIll Sutton, Ego Ferguson or A. Johnson. If I go late I'll say DeAndre Coleman
    They seldom do at DT.

I may go DT in round three over guard if we do or don't get the extra pick in round two. Pick 44 could also switch to DT if we get 37. I take guard later if I take DT in 2 or 3.

OLB - I think Dunbar is worth bringing back, and I like Armstrong and Bates because of their ST especially. They make the team. P. Steward still around too I would draft a "will" LB somewhere middle round. I like Kevin Pierre-Louis. who ran really fast at the combine in round four.

MLB - Not much to choose from here, but a late rounder or two could be found, and mine is Andrew (New Hickory) Jackson out of Western Ky.

CB - I have Finnegan, McGee, Johnson and Jenkins. However, I need another starting potential soon guy.
    If I have acquired pick #37, it's an easier go to get one.
    Here we are not assuming deals, so i take a CB in round two and push the other stuff to three or four.
    At pick 44 I won't get one of the top five CBs, but I can get big long S. Jean-Baptist, or Kyle Fuller, or Roberson or Purifoy, whoever I end up liking best. If I go guard at 44, I go a guy like Gaines, K. McGill or P. Desir in round t hree.

S - I've got my starters, hopefully for years, and McCleod is a solid backup who can cover a bit. I still have Matt Daniels, who I like, plus Cody Davis. I will look for bargains late here, big guys like Jon Dowling, or Dontae Johnson or Ty Zimmerman

To recap, my draft, with NO trades, would be
    Rd 1a -OT
    Rd 1b - WR
    Rd 2 - CB or G
    Rd 3 - G or CB
    Rd 4 - QB
    rd 5 - C, DT, OLB
    Rd 6 - 4 picks - RB, CB, QB, S, C/G, DT, LB.
    Rd 7 - 2 picks = see rd 6 above.

UFA ADDED - J. Byrd FS

Own FA possibly retained - Dunbar, Williams, Smith
    Barry Waller

If a high #2 is added here are my picks:
    1a - OT -Matthews
    1b - WR - Benjamin
    2a - CB - R. Roby or Fuller/ Verrett if Roby gone.
    2b- G - G. Jackson
    3 - OLB - Carl Bradford or Adrian Hubbard
    4- QB = Z.. Mettenberger
    5 - C - Gabe Ikard
    6 - 4 picks - RB, S, C/G, DT, LB, QB
    7 - 2 picks - same as 6
    Barry Waller

richtree is offline Registered User

I really didn't want to fill out the whole form but Logan Thomas is the perfect developmental QB that we could get in round 3-5.....big, strong armed, poised, lots of NFL qualities.....go for it

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

WR (potential No. 1): Kelvin Benjamin, FSU (Draft: Round 1, #13)
    I'd prefer Mike Evans, but I think he'll be gone. Benjamin needs to develop his game, but he'll be a size mismatch from day 1.

OT: Jake Matthews, Texas A&M (Draft: Round 1, #2)

I wouldn't argue with Greg Robinson here, but Matthews has a slight edge for me given his camera-ready status.

Cost-effective, and should improve as he becomes more comfortable inside.

OG2: Brandon Thomas, Clemson (Draft: Round 4)
    Would be a nice addition, particularly in the running game.

C: Scott Wells
    Could see him pushed by Barrett Jones, which could allow the Rams to move on from his contract.

DT: Deandre Coleman, California (Draft: Round 7)
    Perhaps a slight reach, but the Rams could package both of their 7th round picks to get him in Round 6.

SLB: Chris Borland, Wisconsin (Draft: Round 3)
    Perfect fit as a run-stopper on first and second down, and would also provide depth at MLB.

LB (depth): Jo-Lonn Dunbar (re-sign)
    I'm assuming the price will be reasonable.

CB: Cortland Finnegan (restructure contract)
    Lower his cap number, and I think a healthy Finnegan could have a comeback season in Gregg Williams' defense.

FS: Ed Reynolds, Stanford (Draft: Round 2)
    Top of the second-tier behind Clinton-Dix and Pryor.
    Ditto these player situations please as noted. These only. Confirm to my office.
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-02-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Office

vanillasue is offline Registered User

No free agents - always build through the draft - Jerry Jones learning the hard way. Chris Williams , Dunbar and S. Smith to offer a take it or leave it small offer. Cut Finnegan and Dahl, but give option to come back cheap. Cut if they refuse.

Assume both a high #2 & #3 is added to my picks:
    1a - OT -Matthews or Robinson (after trade down with Oakland)
    1b - Safety Calvin Pryor and animal at teh combine and maybe another earl thomas (after trade down)
    2a - CB - R. Roby
    2b- WR - Jordan Mathews (another highly underrated SEC stud from Vanderbilt ala Zac Stacy- 4.4 forty 6-2 and 210 pounds)
    3a - RB - Bishop Skansy ( this guy is going to be great and give us depth at a position that always needs it)
    3b - G - Adrian Hubbard
    4- DT for depth
    5 - C/OG for depth
    6 & 7 - depth and a developm QB

Hubbard is a OLB
    Barry Waller

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

You know, Barry, this could have been an interesting thread if you actually responded to other people's plans (which you asked for) rather than just talking over and over about your own plan.
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!