throwback week

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By macrammer

Thread: Let's step back and revisit for a few minutes

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Let's step back and revisit for a few minutes

Just curious what you all think about this question. What did opposing teams do to us last year that exposed our weaknesses and we had no counter attack for ? List 2 or 3 in priority order that you think have to be addressed in this draft.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Let's step back and revisit for a few minutes

I'd respond this way...

When we ran the ball effectively, the offense worked. When we didn't, our QBs were under constant pressure, leading to too many 3 and outs.

On defense, when we defended the run well, we were often able to pressure opposing QBs, except when we played too soft a coverage and allowed quick hits.

So...

#1 Priority: Ensure that we have an OL that can open holes for our RBs.
    #2 Priority: Improve the DB to give our pass rushers more time to get to the QB.
    #3 Priority: Bolster the run defense.

Rambos is offline Registered User

On the offense they took advantage of our guard play until Saffold moved inside but one of the guards was still too soft. Upgrade, Robinson and or Gabe Jackson.

Offensive line played OK but not nearly good enough need to add depth as we have some injury concerns that might bite us again. Draft two or three linemen.

On the defense they took advantage of the soft coverages and lack of blitzing on third downs. New DC and draft another safety and corner.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Soft coverages was a big issue. Getting nicked and dimed for scores, usually right after we scored.
    Tighter man to man, with good safety help.

Line could not open holes at times, especially early. Literally no where to run. OT/OG

Defense. As good as we were at times, other times we got ripped apart in the run game. ok backs were made to look like superstars. Donald would be awesome in stopping that. Strong and fast LB play.

So my priority would be

1 OL/OT
    2. run Defense
    3. Defensive back end.

Reason I put it in that order is I think Williams will help alot in coaching and scheme as far as the back end goes. It still will need to be addressed though. I really feel Donald even though he is a smaller player, could be a real disruptive force keeping the run game in shambles for the other team.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think everyone has pointed out the key issues that we need to resolve, so rather than pile-on, I'm going to cite a few issues that haven't been identified to this point. Now realistically you cannot expect to solve all our most critical weaknesses in the draft. Some of the answers are on the team already.

1. Exploiting mismatches more on offense, specifically more creativity for Tavon and Jared; drafting an explosive playmaker that defenses have to account for whenever that player is on the field
    2. Emerging from the exhibition season ready to play almost to mid-season form; this is more a coaching matter, but you can draft some immediate starters such as a safety & OT/OG
    3. Minimize penalties; here you draft players that can adapt to the pro-game faster either by their athleticism, smarts or technique

These are variations of what others have said here, but I don't see us drafting a lot of players who make us a playoff team this season. We have plenty of talent on this team now, its simply a matter of coming together and getting players to execute within a system. If we stick to our board and go for the BPA when we're on the clock, this will be a great draft.

Go Rams!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I think everyone has pointed out the key issues that we need to resolve, so rather than pile-on, I'm going to cite a few issues that haven't been identified to this point. Now realistically you cannot expect to solve all our most critical weaknesses in the draft. Some of the answers are on the team already.

1. Exploiting mismatches more on offense, specifically more creativity for Tavon and Jared; drafting an explosive playmaker that defenses have to account for whenever that player is on the field
    2. Emerging from the exhibition season ready to play almost to mid-season form; this is more a coaching matter, but you can draft some immediate starters such as a safety & OT/OG
    3. Minimize penalties; here you draft players that can adapt to the pro-game faster either by their athleticism, smarts or technique

These are variations of what others have said here, but I don't see us drafting a lot of players who make us a playoff team this season. We have plenty of talent on this team now, its simply a matter of coming together and getting players to execute within a system. If we stick to our board and go for the BPA when we're on the clock, this will be a great draft.

Go Rams!
    Good stuff... how realistic will number two be with Sam playing limited reps in preseason. Jake Long will also be held out of the preseason. I do agree we need to be ready to roll week one.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Catching balls thrown to receivers. Too many dropped passes. Hire Torry Holt and get them on his program. 1000 catches a day.
    Haste likes this.