Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    keith m. klink Guest

Re: Let's talk 2nd round pick

rams always pick heads or tails kinda ways, like DEFENSE and then offense and then defense and then offense . it's kinda their way it seems . what they should do is ,

1ST -DE ,
    2ND-SS ,
    3RD-WR ,
    4TH-OT ,
    5TH-QB ,
    6TH- C ,
    7TH- OT , or the best kicker available , i picked STEVEN GOSTKOWSKI as a great kicker and the best one in that years draft , even though other kickers were suppose to be better , i said he was good enought to take in the 4th , or even 3rd round . only NEW ENGLAND listened . we need insurance just in case of a bad senario with WILKINS .

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    rams always pick heads or tails kinda ways, like DEFENSE and then offense and then defense and then offense . it's kinda their way it seems . what they should do is ,

1ST -DE ,
    2ND-SS ,
    3RD-WR ,
    4TH-OT ,
    5TH-QB ,
    6TH- C ,
    7TH- OT , or the best kicker available , i picked STEVEN GOSTKOWSKI as a great kicker and the best one in that years draft , even though other kickers were suppose to be better , i said he was good enought to take in the 4th , or even 3rd round . only NEW ENGLAND listened . we need insurance just in case of a bad senario with WILKINS .

I like that draft layout. I know people would argue that we need an OT at 2nd pick, but I dont think so. I think we'd be great signing one in the free agency and drafting a safety. I'm more than sure we can get a good one in the 2nd round.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I know people would argue that we need an OT at 2nd pick, but I dont think so. I think we'd be great signing one in the free agency and drafting a safety. I'm more than sure we can get a good one in the 2nd round.
    Surely you don't think it will only take one free agent lineman to right the ship? Say you sign an OT; that means you're putting all your egss in the basket of Setterstom. What if he stinks? What if he's hurt again?

There's no guarantee our backups; McCollum and Steussie, will return.

Say you sign a guard. What happens if Pace goes down again?

Does the mighty Milford Brown take the reigns?

My point is, I think both guard and tackle are needs. For me, guard in free agency, tackle in round two ensures that you're covered. Because now you have the depth at both positions to ensure that if your starter gets hurt, there's plenty of depth there.

I think a strong safety can be found in free agency.

Mooselini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Surely you don't think it will only take one free agent lineman to right the ship? Say you sign an OT; that means you're putting all your egss in the basket of Setterstom. What if he stinks? What if he's hurt again?

There's no guarantee our backups; McCollum and Steussie, will return.

Say you sign a guard. What happens if Pace goes down again?

Does the mighty Milford Brown take the reigns?

My point is, I think both guard and tackle are needs. For me, guard in free agency, tackle in round two ensures that you're covered. Because now you have the depth at both positions to ensure that if your starter gets hurt, there's plenty of depth there.

I think a strong safety can be found in free agency.
    ah youre right. i was imagining that our line would stay healthy..but it hasnt seemed that way for a few years now.

i guess this would be the way to go. im sure we could find a strong safety in the free agency and sign a OT in the draft. infact, im starting to believe that would be the wiser choice now. its all clear to me. our line hasnt stayed healthy for a while, and having some depth would be good.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

not alot of great SS out there in FA maybe Mike Doss, but he hasn't played since he came to the Vikes.

Heres what I think we should do. Sign Ryan Lilja and Devery Henderson in FA then draft like this

1. Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    2. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbuilt
    3. Courtney Greene, SS, Rutgers
    or if the Phins take Long
    1. Jake Long, OT, Michigahn
    2. Philip Merling, DE, Clemson

Then Draft one of those great WR next year

No great SS out there in FA. Theres Mike Doss, but he hasn't played in forever. I would get Ryan Lilja, Dan Kreider, and Devery Henderson(speedy 3rd wideout) in FA. then draft like

1. Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    2. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbuilt
    or if the Phins take Long

1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan

STLunatic Guest

If Dan Connor is there at that pick (which I can almost guaruntee he wont be) and the Rams don't take him. I am no longer a Rams fan. Dan Connor is a top 5 talent in my opinion.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by STLunatic View Post
    If Dan Connor is there at that pick (which I can almost guaruntee he wont be) and the Rams don't take him. I am no longer a Rams fan. Dan Connor is a top 5 talent in my opinion.
    Ke?

With so many needs, and a solid substitute even if Chillar leaves, Conner would be little more than a luxury pick. If we were the patriots, I'd scream until forever for this guy. He's a nice talent, not top 5 IMO, but mid-late first round.

The way to go has to be tackle. You insure your franchise LT with the future franchise LT at a fraction of the cost of Jake Long. This way, if he sits on the sideline and learns for a year or two, it doesn't matter. Your'e buying peace of mind.

STLunatic Guest

Connor wouldn't be a luxery pick. He is definetly a better player than both Chillar and Pisa. He would come right in and make a instant impact. If you watched game film of him you would see he is the real deal. a duo of Witherspoon and Connor alone could get you 250-300 tackles easily. Im not really gonna put much effort into debating this becuase theres a 0% chance he will be there.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Connor wouldn't be a luxery pick. He is definetly a better player than both Chillar and Pisa. He would come right in and make a instant impact. If you watched game film of him you would see he is the real deal. a duo of Witherspoon and Connor alone could get you 250-300 tackles easily. Im not really gonna put much effort into debating this becuase theres a 0% chance he will be there.
    Welcome aboard, Mrs. Conner.

Seriously, he's a good prospect and probably goes somewhere late in the first, but to think that he (or any college kid) and Spoon (or any pro) would "easily" rack up 250-300 tackles is a bit of a stretch. From what I've seen, he's this year's Paul Puz.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

STLunatic Guest

Paul Puz probably would have ended up with 140 tackles had he not gotten hurt week 3. They could both very easily get 125 tackles if not more.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Paul Puz probably would have ended up with 140 tackles had he not gotten hurt week 3. They could both very easily get 125 tackles if not more.
    Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm a Puz fan. I took heat last year from some anti-PSU types over support of him. And maybe Conner is going to hit it big, I don't know. But to describe anything in the NFL as "easily"..........just not buying it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

top guys on my second round board are

1. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbuilt
    3. Mario Manigham, WR, Michigan
    4. Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon (this years Eric Weddle)

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post

1ST -DE ,
    2ND-SS ,
    3RD-WR ,
    4TH-OT ,
    5TH-QB ,
    6TH- C ,
    A set draft plan is the bust plan.

PossumBoy9 Guest

RB Felix Jones
    RB Jamaal Charles
    WR Devin Thomas
    LB Curtis Lofton

I'd love to get one of those four, particularly if Chris Long is the pick at #2 overall. There certainly should be some good prospects galore at pick #34.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12