Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limas Sweed

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Limas Sweed

I just finished up Matt Mosley's first mock on his blog on ESPN, and he has Sweed dropping out of the first because of his wrist. Now, without the wrist issue, Sweed is arguably the top WR in the draft. If he falls to #33, and the wrist just needs time to heal, do you take the chance on him, knowing he could be a bargain pick in a few years?

As I love me my DE's assume we took Gholston or Long up top.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Limas Sweed

Mike Maylock does not have one WR rated as a first round pick. So I'm not sure if he is hurt we would be getting a steal.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Mike Maylock does not have one WR rated as a first round pick. So I'm not sure if he is hurt we would be getting a steal.
    I'm sure Mayock is a great scout and all that, but I get the impression that he goes far out of his way to adopt a contrarian view. It could be (not saying it is, just could be) that Mayock wants to make waves by saying there isn't a single 1st-round WR on the board. He's also said McFadden is not a top-20 pick, but I doubt many teams would feel they're "reaching" to grab him at #15 or so.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Mayock said there isn't a "first round graded" receiver out there, but he also said that up to 4 of them will go in the first. So if Sweed is there, I'd be concerned with why up to four teams needing a receiver passed on him.

Having said that, if the docs are comfortable with his wrist, I'd take him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Looking at Mayock's position rankings(couldn't find his projections), he also has Sweed as the top WR in the draft, so I guess getting him at the top of round two wouldn't be too bad. Then again, he has Mendenhall as the top RB and DaJuan Morgan as the top safety, so I'm a bit curious as to what's a real ranking and what's to be different, as I don't even care about RB's and I know McFadden't the better prospect.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Mayock said there isn't a "first round graded" receiver out there, but he also said that up to 4 of them will go in the first.
    Yeah thats right and they will all be a reach in his mind because none grade out to be taken in the first round.

keith m. klink Guest

FROM what i heard , his wrist was good at the combine , if the doctors do give him the go ahead , is he the speed demon to strech the field or just a good tall possesion receiver . i myself like him , and would want him to push bennett out of the starting lineup and off the damn team next year . Unless they both rock , then we'll see .

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I didnt hear much on him, but after doing some research, I'm going to say he would be a nice draft pick. Who knows, he might be a great WR.

keith m. klink Guest

HE is not a speed demon , but at 6-4 and 217lb , and running a 4.6 for a long strider isn't bad at all . i mean if it was DEREK STANLEY at 5-10 and 179 lb than i would say CRAZY PERSON ! , but sweed would be o.k. at rd #2 . IF WE GOT LONG or GHOLSTON .

Sweed is a TO kind of #1 receiver. He's not a burner to stretch the field, but he'll draw double coverage or else he make teams pay, and that's just as good, if not better.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

with the second round pick, i think theres gonna be plenty of options..if sweed is BPA then take him...kenny phillips and dan connor may fall to our pick also so we`ll see.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Sweed can play, ask Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. I watched him alot here at UT and he's a gamer. Got hurt his senior year but man, had a monster junior campaign.

Exactly, TX. Which is why I think if his injury causes him to slide to the second round, he becomes easily the BPA. We have two starting WR's, so even if he wouldn't be ready to work until training camp, it'd be worth it because of what he can do for us in the future.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I like Sweed and I wouldn't mind getting James Hardy out of Indiana. The two have very similar builds but Hardy is slightly bigger

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81 View Post
    I like Sweed and I wouldn't mind getting James Hardy out of Indiana. The two have very similar builds but Hardy is slightly bigger
    Agreed, I like James Hardy a lot, and I believe he'd be more of a steal than Sweed. Also like Will Franklin from Mizzou and Donnie Avery from Houston.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast