Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limas Sweed

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Limas Sweed

I very much believe that a quality receiver will be there at the top of the second and hopefully a few of them so we have our pick of them, or the option of trading down a couple slots if one of the second tier QB's is there too, and then grabbing one of the receivers who's left.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Don't get too attached to Sweed, if Tennessee's GM wants to keep his job he'll be off the board at that pick. Careful about Avery though, Houston passes that ball alot. That's why Kevin Kolb was a risk pick, it's why every offensive player coming out of Georgia is a risk, it's why Michael Crabtree will be a risk. Isn't that a weird name? Crabtree...yuck

RANDYRAM Guest

I like those guys Sweed,Hardy,but Chris Johnson 5'11" 197lbs 4.24 40 will stretch the Field !!!! FASTEST COMBINE 40 EVER!!!!!

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Don't get too attached to Sweed, if Tennessee's GM wants to keep his job he'll be off the board at that pick. Careful about Avery though, Houston passes that ball alot. That's why Kevin Kolb was a risk pick, it's why every offensive player coming out of Georgia is a risk, it's why Michael Crabtree will be a risk. Isn't that a weird name? Crabtree...yuck
    As long as they catch it, I don't see why this would be a problem for WRs. If anything, it means they have more experience catching in game situations. Most GMs are too smart to simply look at production numbers and nothing else.

I agree that Sweed is most likely going to be gone at Tennessee's pick, but that's why I started this thread. If Sweed is damaged goods, and slips to us at #33, do we take him, knowing that he might not be in top shape this year.

Randy, are you Johnson's agent or something? Plenty of guys have been able to stretch the field before and haven't had to run a 4.24. Yes, I understand he's fast, but for that forty time to only raise to a second round grade, means that there are other concerns, namely production. He's a RB/WR tweener, so he probably can't handle more than spot duty in the backfield, and he's not a real NFL grade WR either, or else he'd have played there his whole career. As I said before, he'll probably end up like a poor man Reggie Bush or maybe even compared to Devin Hester in the same sentence. I'm sure he'll make plays from time to time, but I just can't see him being a pro bowl player, little lone a superstar. Speed is not the end all be all.

RANDYRAM Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I agree that Sweed is most likely going to be gone at Tennessee's pick, but that's why I started this thread. If Sweed is damaged goods, and slips to us at #33, do we take him, knowing that he might not be in top shape this year.

Randy, are you Johnson's agent or something? Plenty of guys have been able to stretch the field before and haven't had to run a 4.24. Yes, I understand he's fast, but for that forty time to only raise to a second round grade, means that there are other concerns, namely production. He's a RB/WR tweener, so he probably can't handle more than spot duty in the backfield, and he's not a real NFL grade WR either, or else he'd have played there his whole career. As I said before, he'll probably end up like a poor man Reggie Bush or maybe even compared to Devin Hester in the same sentence. I'm sure he'll make plays from time to time, but I just can't see him being a pro bowl player, little lone a superstar. Speed is not the end all be all.
    TEKE your probably right!! Chris GO ALL THE WAY Johnson will be just like
    Devin PRO BOWL Hester or Reggie PRO BOWL Bush in the 2nd round ???
    I should just stop wasting my time looking at this guy. ARE YOU KIDDING!!
    SOME PEOPLE NEED TO OPEN THERE EYES and look who YOU are comparing
    him too!
    there's only 1 teem poorer than the RAMS last year!
    A poor mans Reggie Bush or Devin Hester Ill take that any day !!!
    He didn't go to USC!!! He went ECU I've never even herd of ECU
    AND (LOL)I am not his agent!!
    Last edited by RANDYRAM; -03-17-2008 at 02:07 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

what a bout Lavelle Hawkns??? I'm a huge USC fan and he always had solid games against us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    TEKE your probably right!! Chris GO ALL THE WAY Johnson will be just like
    Devin PRO BOWL Hester or Reggie PRO BOWL Bush in the 2nd round ???
    I should just stop wasting my time looking at this guy. ARE YOU KIDDING!!
    SOME PEOPLE NEED TO OPEN THERE EYES and look who YOU are comparing
    him too!
    there's only 1 teem poorer than the RAMS last year!
    A poor mans Reggie Bush or Devin Hester Ill take that any day !!!
    He didn't go to USC!!! He went ECU I've never even herd of ECU
    AND (LOL)I am not his agent!!
    Really, you would take a poor man's Bush or Hester? Reggie Bush has helped his team accomplish nothing other than a bottom 10 finish this year. Last year he was a bit player who couldn't carry the load and did nothing to show his amazing return skills. He had a few good plays but he couldn't get into the endzone until late in the year. As for Devin Hester, he's scored 13 touchdowns, two on offense, four on kick returns and seven punt returns. Considering that some of those are in the same game, he's really only directly affected the outcome in 9 or 10 games out of his 32.

The point I was trying to make was that at best, Chris Johnson will be compared to Devin Hester as a return man. Not that he would ever produce anywhere close to him. Further, while Devin Hester has made an impact on special teams, he was a horrible cornerback, and has yet to make significant strides learning the Bear's offense other than how to run a fly route. Towards the end of the year he was nullified by punters kicking the ball out of bounds. On kickoffs, he's been good if you look at his TD's, two each year, but he has a subpar average on kick returns, so that actually hurts his team. Also hurting his team? The 15 fumbles he's had over his two years in the league.

On the other hand, Reggie Bush has explicitly shown that he cannot carry the load in the NFL and requires a power back to wear down opposing defenses for him. He averages a mediocre 3.7 yards per carry and 41 yards a game. For all the hype of his return abilities, he has one return touchdown and a paltry punt return average of 7.4. In 28 games he has fumbled the ball 10 times with limited touches. He has 2305 career yards from scrimmage. I believe that Jax put up that amount in in 2006 alone, and with more touchdowns.

The Rams don't need a special teams star, that is why we brought in Dante Hall. Further, our special teams don't have the quality that Chicago does, and so Devin Hester wouldn't be Devin Hester anywhere else, namely Saint Louis. We also don't need a RB/WR tweener who can't even put up the numbers Reggie Bush has jokingly accomplished. We need a true WR who can in a few years be a primary receiver, not a bit player on special teams and a few patterns on offense. I'm hardly even comparing the three of them, I'm saying that he won't even be as much of a difference maker as either of them. In fact, I would say that there's a likely chance that if he plays RB in the NFL, he'll spend a lot of time on IR.

I'd also like to point out that while yes, Devin hester has made the pro bowl both his years in the league, it is for returning kicks, not his playing ability otherwise. Also, Reggie Bush has come no where close to even sniffing an invitation to the pro bowl. So no, I don't want a poor man's Bush or Hester, I want a proven wide receiver who can start in the league for 8-10 years.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RANDYRAM View Post
    I like those guys Sweed,Hardy,but Chris Johnson 5'11" 197lbs 4.24 40 will stretch the Field !!!! FASTEST COMBINE 40 EVER!!!!!
    No the guys on NFL Network said it was the fastest 40 they have seen in however many years they have been reporting at the combine (I think it was like 5-8 years). It is also rumored that Prime Time Deion Sanders ran like a 4.17.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

As long as they catch it, I don't see why this would be a problem for WRs. If anything, it means they have more experience catching in game situations. Most GMs are too smart to simply look at production numbers and nothing else.
    Running routes, blocking, knowing what the blazzes is going on... Catching is key obviously that's why they play the position but there are other things. If catching is all that mattered, you get the point.

GMs should be smart enough to look beyond that production. But what do you say about Colt Brennon-an-en? He has off the chart production, is it because of the system or is he really that good. When you have all 5 guys out there to throw to you get a lot better as a QB. The BC coach said about Matt Ryan, "If you(refering to the commentators) have to make the comment, he threw that one through the window, he made the wrong pass." Those systems are built so they can get easy passes and lots of yards. I know BC isn't Hawaii, but you're probably smart enough to get how I'm using it.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7 View Post
    Running routes, blocking, knowing what the blazzes is going on... Catching is key obviously that's why they play the position but there are other things. If catching is all that mattered, you get the point.
    Sure, but how does being in an offense where they throw a lot somehow mean you don't know how to run routes, blocking, knowing what is going on....you get the point.

GMs should be smart enough to look beyond that production. But what do you say about Colt Brennon-an-en?
    For starters, I'd say its a lot tougher to evaluate QBs than WRs because they're performance depends a ton on the OL, RB, WR, and system. You can probably get a much better sense of a WR's ability to translate his skills into the pros (though admitedly the number of first round busts at that position doesn't suggest I'm correct). The problem with QBs, of course, is that you can't really evaluate NFL decision-making until you're in a game situation. So, I'd say they're always a bigger gamble.

In any case, my point is that the system has a lot more to do with QB performance than WR performance.

Quote Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
    Sure, but how does being in an offense where they throw a lot somehow mean you don't know how to run routes, blocking, knowing what is going on....you get the point.

For starters, I'd say its a lot tougher to evaluate QBs than WRs because they're performance depends a ton on the OL, RB, WR, and system. You can probably get a much better sense of a WR's ability to translate his skills into the pros (though admitedly the number of first round busts at that position doesn't suggest I'm correct). The problem with QBs, of course, is that you can't really evaluate NFL decision-making until you're in a game situation. So, I'd say they're always a bigger gamble.

In any case, my point is that the system has a lot more to do with QB performance than WR performance.
    Pass happy systems and well rounded receivers are not mutually exclusive, but here's an example from last year's draft. Ohio State had two very good WR's Ted Ginn and Anthony Gonzalez. Ginn had speed and flash and hands and was the higher rated receiver. He can't run a precise route to save his mother's life. Gonzalez was a step slower, but he's an intelligent receiver who uses his short range quickness to make hard cuts and run precise routes that create the separation for him. I'm not sure of either's blocking, but I would bet that Gonzalez is probably the better one.

Quarterbacks are very much the hardest position to grade and draft correctly, and it gets harder the higher rated they are. Peyton Manning vs Ryan Leaf. But there's one significant difference between QB's and WR's, for the most part, QB's, even bad ones will become better known and more famous as they go on. Wideouts will go from being the big fish in a little pond to just another fish in a huge pond. Being a diva, me first kind of position, this affects them in a lot of different ways. Some suck it up, deal and become great teammates. Others become distractions for the team, and make themselves famous. Others get angry and just lose all motivation. That's how receivers become harder to grade, is what they do when they get that big signing bonus and then get on a crappy team that doesn't give them the stats and the national headlines they want.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    HE is not a speed demon , but at 6-4 and 217lb , and running a 4.6 for a long strider isn't bad at all . i mean if it was DEREK STANLEY at 5-10 and 179 lb than i would say CRAZY PERSON ! , but sweed would be o.k. at rd #2 . IF WE GOT LONG or GHOLSTON .
    He ran in the 4.4's at the combine and running tomorrow at the Texas Pro Day because he's been timed faster. He does have speed.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I seriously doubt that he'll be available at 33. I would love it, but I doubt it. If he times any faster he will probably be a Jag. They don't seem to pass up many tall fast receivers. Hell, they even turn tall fast qb's in receivers. Sweed, has got the tools to make an impact immeadiately IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    He ran in the 4.4's at the combine and running tomorrow at the Texas Pro Day because he's been timed faster. He does have speed.
    I believe he ran a 4.52 in Indy, didn't he?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast