Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Lions have an Agreement with Aaron Curry

The Lions have reached an agreement with LB Aaron Curry.

If they can't sign QB Stafford today or Friday, they will make Curry the First pick in the Draft.

Teams may be interested in that second pick if they can get Stafford there.

Last edited by Nick; -04-23-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: No links!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Lions have an Agreement with Aaron Curry

The original story.....
    Source: Lions have Aaron Curry in fold if Matthew Stafford doesn't sign soon
    by Tom Kowalski
    Wednesday April 22, 2009, 5:15 PM

AP File Photo
    Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry runs a drill at the NFL football scouting combine in Indianapolis.According to a league source, the Detroit Lions have completed contract terms with Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and the team is now waiting to see if it can reach an agreement with their No. 1 target, Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford.

The source said the Lions will not allow a decision to go beyond Friday and if a deal isn't done with Stafford by then, the team will sign Curry and take him with the first overall draft pick.

The source said he believes that Stafford's agent, Tom Condon, will eventually agree to a deal with the Lions but probably won't do it until it gets closer to the Friday deadline.

The price of the contract can only go up in the final hours so Condon likely will push the issue as far as he feels he has something to gain.

The Lions, according to the source, aren't budging and are just waiting to see if Stafford accepts their deal before they move to Curry. The Lions have been adamant that they want to get their draft pick signed before the draft starts at 4 p.m. Saturday.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

If the lions took curry i would take stafford.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Sounds like they are using Curry for leverage on Stafford. This is exactly how dysfunctional franchises are run. If they end up going with Curry isn't that like saying well we took the player we didn't really want because the guy who is really our target cost too much? You should draft the player you think will make the biggest impact for your team, not the player who has the best sign-ability. That being said I really hope that their ruse works and they get Stafford's agents to blink so we can draft Curry or whomever we think is the best player for us. All i know is that I don't want the Rams to look at how much it costs for rookies, because the sucky thing is, that is where the NFL is at.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I think there will be pressure to do that.

I think about 32 teams assumed that Stafford will be gone at the first slot. If that doesn't happen, then I think we'll get some offers for that pick.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't know if this is a really good thing for us or not. I really want to get Curry, but perhaps we'll get a lot more offers if he becomes a Lion. This will really be an interesting draft...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I've been very much gravitating to Curry the last few days as I realize that we really need a right tackle more than a left tackle, and there's one or two that hopefully will be available at #35. So, if the Lions do take Curry, I'll still be very happy with Monroe or Smith, but it won't be my number one choice.

From what I've heard so far though, is that Stafford looks like he's going to drop pretty far if he's not taken by the Lions because a lot of teams have him rated below Sanchez. But hey, someone who wants Sanchez can always get the runner up I guess.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know, Curry was projected as a third round pick last year. He excelled in a down ACC conference (guess so did BJ Raji). If the Lions want to take him at #1 that's scary.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I think Sanchez would be a better fit for our offensive, if we're going with a West Coast variant.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Sounds like they are using Curry for leverage on Stafford.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    You should draft the player you think will make the biggest impact for your team, not the player who has the best sign-ability.
    Signability is an important factor, though. I'm sure any Oakland Raiders fan will tell you that (referencing JaMarcus Russell). You want to make sure the guy you just dropped $30 million guaranteed on is going to be in camp on time so you can get the most bang for your buck. If you draft a guy and you can't get an agreement in place for whatever reason, that could result in missed camp time, missed learning opportunities, and less immediate impact. Obviously you don't want to choose an incredibly lesser prospect just because he'll sign, but my point is that it is important for NFL teams to consider signability at the top of the draft. And that's why you see teams negotiating with 3-4 guys rather than just the one guy they want.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You know, Curry was projected as a third round pick last year. He excelled in a down ACC conference (guess so did BJ Raji). If the Lions want to take him at #1 that's scary.
    And Jason Smith was unheard of. This time last year, the two top OTs were Andre Smith and Oher. Now, they will probably be 3rd and 4th OTs off the board.

Things change.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I agree......Things change. Heck, I don't know. At least I have the guts to say I don't know

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't think it's such a surprise that he'd rise over the course of a year. The more you see a guy play, the more you know about him. Weaknesses can be exposed or he can dispel myths about what people think he can or can't do.

Shoot, look at Albert Haynesworth. A year ago he was best known as the guy who stomped on someone's head. By the end of the 2008 season, people were talking about him as possibly the most dominant player at his position. Perceptions can change pretty dramatically over the course of a year.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

This happens every year though with no name guys and they usually wind up becoming good players that were worth the pick anyways.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams