Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Lions have begun negotiations with a possible #1 pick... whomever he is...

Lions have already started negotiations with their No. 1 pick
    by Tom Kowalski
    Sunday March 22, 2009, 4:54 PM

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The talks are only preliminary and the real target has yet to be identified, but the Detroit Lions are already in the process of negotiating a contract with their first-round draft pick. Lions president Tom Lewand said the team could move very quickly in getting a deal done, adding that "By the rules, we could agree to terms with somebody tomorrow if we wanted to.''

Because the 2010 season is an uncapped year in terms of salary, the contract language for incoming rookies will be much different than it's been in the past. Lewand said it was important for him to get on the same page with the agents as soon as possible.

"We have to have robust dialogue with the agents of the players we're interested in. We've started that process and we've made it very clear to all of them that we have to have that as this month draws to a close,'' Lewand said.

"We won't put a timetable on it. From our standpoint, it's whenever everything that needs to come together, comes together. There's no timetable one way or the other. If we make the decision and (general manager) Martin (Mayhew) and (head coach) Jim (Schwartz) and everybody else is comfortable with it and we can come to a contract with the guy, there's no reason we can't do that tomorrow. If we can't - and any one of those pieces isn't in place - and it doesn't get done until the night before the draft, that's fine, too.

"Whenever the muffin rises above the tin, it's time to eat.''

schut39 is offline Registered User

Re: Lions have begun negotiations with a possible #1 pick... whomever he is...

Wait, does that mean they are going to do it tomorrow, or does it mean they are able to do it tomorrow?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Wait, does that mean they are going to do it tomorrow, or does it mean they are able to do it tomorrow?
    Its just means they have started the search for the cheapest guy. KFFL is reporting Jason Smith is there guy. It is early so im not to sure about that, but it seems verry reasonable. There also reports they are more interested in Sanchez than Stafford. It makes a whole lot of sense to take Smith then use their 20th pick to trade up for Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    They're able to do it whenever. Tomorrow is pretty unlikely, but nothing's stopping them from agreeing to terms with whomever they'd like to draft. Remember, Miami signed Jake Long like a week before the draft last year.

iStillBelieve is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    I'm glad they like Sanchez more, IMO he is a way better QB then Stafford, especially in pocket presence and leadership. That sucks for Sanchez though if he does go to Detroit.
    Why? He has the best receiver in the league, a very talented young running back, and an improving offensive line with two young, first round tackles (if they take Smith).

Oh ya, Calvin Johnson is a great WR but not the best, in the top 5 though. It's just my opinion, I like Sanchez and I would like to see him go to a good franchise.
    It goes:

1. Andre Johnson
    2. Calvin Johnson
    3. William Franklin
    4. Larry Fitzgerald
    5. Justin Gage

but Andre is about 4 years older than Calvin, that makes Calvin's upside so much higher, and he will be around alot longer...so if I was a young QB entering the league, CJ is the first receiver I would want on my team.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

That may be the weirdest top 5 WR list ever to be concocted

shower beers is offline Registered User

This is really, really early. The draft is over a month away. You'd think they'd like to evaluate the pick some more, but I guess it would stay with the Lion's style.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

That's funny. Who is william franklin?
    From Wikipedia;

William Franklin (1731-November 17, 1813) was the last Colonial Governor of New Jersey. William was a steadfast Loyalist throughout the Revolutionary War, despite his father's role as one of the most prominent Patriots during the conflict, a difference that tore the two apart.
    He was born in Philadelphia, the illegitimate son of Benjamin Franklin. His mother's identity is unknown though evidence suggests she was a "Low Woman".[1] He was raised by his father and his common-law wife Deborah Read. There is some speculation William's mother may have been Deborah Read, and that because of his parents' common law relationship, the circumstances of his birth were obscured so as not to be politically harmful to William. He accompanied his father on several missions, including his trips to England. Although often depicted as a young child when he assisted his father in the famed kite experiment in 1752, William was 21 years old at the time.
    Definitely sounds like top 5 material to me.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The Jason Smith thing doesn't sound that far-fetched if they plan on taking a quarterback later in round one. It's basically the same thing the Browns did by going with Joe Thomas early and then picking up Brady Quinn later in the round. Picking a quarterback and an offensive lineman in the first round the same year also worked pretty well for the Falcons with Matt Ryan and Sam Baker.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Allow me to summarize the true intent of this article.
    Lions have already started negotiations with their No. 1 pick
    by Tom Kowalski (as edited by HUbison)
    Sunday March 22, 2009, 4:54 PM

We know who we want and we can pull the trigger on this guy whenever we want to. So, if our guy (and we're not saying who) is the guy you other 31 teams want, then you better start upping your ante to make a trade with us.

Hurry up. We're going to sign this guy real quick. You better start a trade deal with us right now! No seriously! We'll do it! We'll sign him today dangit!
    There, that should be a little clearer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Update to the story...

Detroit Lions in contract talks with several first draft pick prospects
    by Tom Kowalski
    Monday March 23, 2009, 4:12 AM

DANA POINT, Calif. -- The Detroit Lions still are not saying who they might select with the first overall draft pick, but they are getting closer to putting that player's name on the dotted line.

Lions president Tom Lewand, who is attending the annual owners' meetings with several members of the team's front office, said the team already have started initial contract negotiations with several No. 1 prospects.

Because the Lions have the first pick, they are allowed to begin negotiating before the April 25 draft.

"By the rules, we could agree to terms with somebody tomorrow if we wanted to," Lewand said.

The top four prospects for that first pick are believed to be Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford, Baylor left tackle Jason Smith, Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry and Virginia left tackle Eugene Monroe.

Lewand indicated he has been in contact with the agents of other players as well. One of those might be Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji who made a visit to Allen Park last week to interview with Lions officials.

The Lions want to begin negotiations early because contract language will be different than previous years because the 2010 season does not have a salary cap.

"We have to have robust dialogue with the agents of the players we're interested in. We've started that process, and we've made it very clear to all of them that we have to have that as this month draws to a close," Lewand said. "Because of the complexity of the rules, we've already started discussions. I don't see any reason we can't advance those discussions with multiple parties as we're narrowing the decision-making."

The Lions have indicated they want their No. 1 pick to be signed before they officially select him, but Lewand said there's no timetable on when that will happen.

The first order of business is the Lions making the decision; coach Jim Schwartz will have heavy input, but the final say will come down to general manager Martin Mayhew.

"There's no timetable one way or the other. If we make the decision, and Martin and Jim and everybody else is comfortable with it and we can come to a contract with the guy, there's no reason we can't do that tomorrow," Lewand said. "If we can't -- and any one of those pieces isn't in place -- and it doesn't get done until the night before the draft, that's fine, too."

The Lions want the draft pick signed prior to the draft because it eliminates any possibility of a holdout in training camp. If the Lions select a player who is unsigned, the leverage immediately shifts to the player, because he can withhold his services, much like LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell did with the Oakland Raiders two years ago. Russell missed all of training camp in a contract dispute.

The Lions have the leverage by negotiating with several players before the draft. Last season, the Miami Dolphins were in talks with four players and eventually signed Michigan tackle Jake Long before officially selecting him at No. 1. The Lions want to put themselves in the same position -- as soon as possible.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

IMO, if they don't pick stafford, they are going to seriously regret it. I see Stafford as a Jay Cutler type QB, and Sanchez being more like Chad Pennington. I don't think Sanchez has the arm to make all the throws in the league. Also,they will regret it if they take smith or monroe because Stafford is going to be something special. If the lions don't take Stafford, we will also look back at this draft nand wish we would have taken Stafford.
    We won't take him, but when he's a hall of famer, i hope we didn't draft sam bowie

You guys obviously aren't Mizzou fans...

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    That may be the weirdest top 5 WR list ever to be concocted
    Ya I want some of what he's smokin' !!
    I'm amazed that you guys thought I was serious. Of course I know that Wayne, Housh, White, Bryant, Boldin, and even Keenan Burton are better than Will Franklin...BUT HE WAS A TIGER. So was Justin Gage, I was thinking about throwing Brad Smith on that list over Fitzgerald, but you guys would have freaked out even more.

Do you honestly think I was serious when I put a 2nd year receiver who had maybe 10 catches his first season as a top 5 receiver?

On a side note...6'1 210, sub 4.4 speed, and 40+ inch vertical...I really wish Will had fallen to us with our second pick in the 4th round last year because he has all the physical tools he just needs to learn the technique. And he is a great guy so I know he can do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast