Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Lions shopping the #2 pick

ESPN website reports the Lions are shopping the #2 pick. Me thinks trading up for Alan Branch is a smart move. Okoye doesn't look to last till the 13th pick, so why wait.

If your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. Go get the best at the DT position in this draft.

Thoughts?

Semper Fi!

bigtiger737 Guest

Re: Lions shopping the #2 pick

trading up to the no 2 pick isn't going ot be worth it at all! No way

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

2 would be a massive reach for Branch, and we would have to give up so much to get to the number 2 pick.

If we do even trade up for number 2, there is no way you can pass up on the talent of a guy like Clavin Johnson to take a DT with motivational issues

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    2 would be a massive reach for Branch, and we would have to give up so much to get to the number 2 pick.

If we do even trade up for number 2, there is no way you can pass up on the talent of a guy like Clavin Johnson to take a DT with motivational issues
    i agree 100%, if you trade up to #2. you have to take johnson,you just can't pass on a talent like that,i don't know if he's a big need for us,but take him anyways,he will be awesome.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

its not a massive need, but its a pick that be well served once Bruce retires

i dont see it happening though, its a lot to give up

keith m. klink Guest

that would be the only guy i would pick if we moved to number 2, johnson is the closest thing to a sure bet. nobody else would be worth the move, NOBODY.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Thats the thing though, possessing the #2 is a good place to start. Perhpaps you trade down a spot of two from there, still get Branch. I wouldn't do it for Johnson when there is a massive glaring gapping energy sucking blackhole of a need at DT. I just don't see the RAMs getting that impact player at 13.
    Semper Fi!

RamOfDenmark Guest

I agree that chances don't look so good that we get our impact D-lineman at #13, but #2 is too far to trade up, it would be prohibitively expensive I think. To get Branch I believe we need to look at trading up to #5 because I see Washington at #6 as a team that will be very likely to take him. Unfortunately such a trade will be very expensive too, is it worth it? Possibly, I'm a little on the fence but if we could get the #5 at a reasonable price (per the standard trade value chart or so) I'm leaning towards 'yes'.

If a trade up isn't happening a trade down might be good to consider too, I'm just not all that happy with our position at #13, looks to me like we'll be left just out of the group of prime talent. I don't know if Patrick Willis is still a possibility for us, but I could see him still on the board at #13 and he might be the best pick for us if Okoye and Branch are both gone. I don't think a LB will be the key player that can turn around our defense, but if the top-2 DT's are gone and we can't find suitable offers for trading, then grabbing Willis don't look so bad to me.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Thats the thing though, possessing the #2 is a good place to start. Perhpaps you trade down a spot of two from there, still get Branch. I wouldn't do it for Johnson when there is a massive glaring gapping energy sucking blackhole of a need at DT. I just don't see the RAMs getting that impact player at 13.
    I agree if we trade up to the number 2 we could also trade down again to the number 5. The Cards would probably do it to be positive they get Joe Thomas although I'm not sure we want them taking Thomas.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't see the point unless there is a standout DT that will immediately make a huge impact for us. Is there anyone there that has the motivation, the talent, the team spirit? Not really, I say stick with the picks we got, and find the talent we need defensively. And even if there was a standout, look at last year's 1st round draft pick...There's going to be gems and busts, that is the unfortunate part of the draft, and unfortunately, this year really doesn't have anyone I'd want to gamble on...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Trading up only to trade back down? That seems exceptionally far fetched to me. :x

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about trading up or down at this point. But that being said, if we're trading up for a defensive lineman, I don't think we'd have to trade up higher than 6th (Washington) to get a talented prospect, and Washington could be looking to move down simply because they don't have many picks this year. We could also find trading partners in Minnesota or Miami, I would think.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how I feel about trading up or down at this point. But that being said, if we're trading up for a defensive lineman, I don't think we'd have to trade up higher than 6th (Washington) to get a talented prospect, and Washington could be looking to move down simply because they don't have many picks this year. We could also find trading partners in Minnesota or Miami, I would think.
    Do you think we should? It seems to me that getting a true impact DT is really the best thing that we could do in this draft. Quality over quantity. Last year the extra picks we got from trading down didn't turn out all that well for us, at least not yet.

Country Guest

I see the Rams going down in the draft than anywhere. Moving up is to costly for a single player when the Rams have multiple areas of need.

I don't see how the move down last year has not worked out for the Rams. I would ahve lokied Haloti Ngata, but we got Tye Hill who was becoming a very good CB by the end of the year and a LB in Jon Alston that I think is going to have an imopact on defense this year either at WLB or at SS.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Though Mike Ditka would disagree... ....I'm not in favor of giving up our entire draft for one dude.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

13 is really a tough position to be in. Especially in this draft. Nick makes a good point, go to 6th with Washington. That way, you get either DT that is available, and you really don't break the bank with the trade.

C'mon people....the Rams have to take some risk in order to win this year. While we all agree going the Daniel Snyder route doesn't work, every team can't be the Patriots and have that much luck spending no money.

You know who could move up to the two spot and become really scary? The Ravens. What if they move up to #2 and snag the QB they have desperately wanted? If Quinn somehow goes to that team, they are solid for years to come. He can sit back this year and watch McNair then take over next year. That D is still pretty young.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-19-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast