Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Question Lions are taking OT Jason Smith (KFFL)

Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
    Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700

KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Now what do we do? Monroe, Curry or Stafford? I don't believe we take a WR that high. Frankly it would not bother me any of those ways. I hate taking Tackles and Linebackers that high. This is a down year for O-Tackles though. What are your thoughts?

Re: Lions are taking OT Jason Smith (KFFL)

IMO usually Tackles get drafted and trained by a team. Then just as they get good they get big free agent money to go elsewhere. Besides When Pace was drafted there was no doubt he was going to be Dominate. I just don't see that all world dominance this year. Don't get me wrong I dont think Smith or Monroe will be a bust.

As for Curry I think he would fit our needs perfectly but I can't remember the last time a LB was taken #2 overall. But he is rated as the best player in the draft I would take hime. I just wonder if he is a Middle linebacker is all. I am so sick of watching the previous front office draft a player that played linebacker and try to make him a safety. I hate it when they draft a player and try to convert him.

B.J. Raji is a stud D-tackle but I am shell shocked from the previous drafts (Damion Lewis etc) is all.

I don't know what the thinking is about Stafford with Devaney/Spags. If they believe he is the real deal you take him. If you don't obviously try to trade down(won't happen IMHO). Next year there should be some good QB's coming out anyway.

FYI: I think Rams go Monroe.
    Last edited by Rookie; -03-23-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

They're taking Smith!? Wow, didn't see that coming. =/

Well, that just means we're going to get my boy Monroe! Come on, he's buddies with Chris Long. And when he arrives, he'll be buddies with Jackson and Bulger. Can't go wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I want more sources.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Talking Re: Lions are taking OT Jason Smith (KFFL)

Fantastic if true...

Leaves the top OT (imo), Curry, and creates trade opportunities for teams moving up for Stafford (or Curry)

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by #39 Fan View Post
    Fantastic if true...

Leaves the top OT (imo), Curry, and creates trade opportunities for teams moving up for Stafford (or Curry)
    I still won't believe it until I see it confirmed somewhere other than KFFL and with a credible source, but I don't see why someone would want to trade to number 2 to get Stafford, anyway. The Cheifs aren't going to take him and their pick would invariably cost less. I don't see the Cheifs giving up a player like Curry, anyway, but they'd the prime benefactors if this were true.

Exclamation Re: Lions are taking OT Jason Smith (KFFL)

I agree with you. I don't remember KFFL breaking a story. Usually they are the best to get it to the public. I hope someone over their is not jumping the gun or getting paid to leak it.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If true, it still doesnt mean that they are going to take him. If they are negotiating with him, it only means that they want to see what it will cost to sign him. They can negotiate with anyone they want. This makes sense to me, it gives them a little leverege visa vi stafford or anyone else.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

Who do we have better chance wining with, right now? I would take OT, if you are going to invest good money on someone - do it on OT because they are hard to find - at least good ones. I know Curry is tempting, however is he going to bring big change to the team that will effect NFC WEST. If yes, then you draft him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I am so sick of watching the previous front office draft a player that played linebacker and try to make him a safety.
    Other than Arch (which was 8 years ago and a player who was projected to play SS, not just some whim by the Rams), give me a name of a college LB that the Rams tried to make play Safety.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's a USA Today story which is the closest to an actual report that I can find....
    Quote Originally Posted by From USA Today
    Lions already negotiating with potential No. 1 draft picks

The Detroit Lions have already begun negotiating contracts with the players they're considering choosing with the first overall draft pick.

Team president Tom Lewand told reporters today that the Lions want to get a deal done quickly and want to set parameters with the agents and the players before the month ends.

In the mix as potential No. 1 picks are Georga QB Matthew Stafford, Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry, Virginia OT Eugene Monroe and Baylor OT Jason Smith.

Lewand didn't set a timetable for coming to terms, though he did acknowledge that technically it could happen anyime.

"From our standpoint, it's whenever everything that needs to come together, comes together," Lewand said. "There's no timetable one way or the other. If we make the decision and (general manager) Martin (Mayhew) and (head coach) Jim (Schwartz) and everybody else is comfortable with it and we can come to a contract with the guy, there's no reason we can't do that tomorrow. If we can't - and any one of those pieces isn't in place - and it doesn't get done until the night before the draft, that's fine, too.

"Whenever the muffin rises above the tin, it's time to eat.''

It would be unlikely for the Lions to make a final decision on a player until the draft draws near and their and other teams' evaluations of all players are complete.

The team has set up a private workout with Stafford on March 31. (Stafford revealed that he scored a 35 on the Wonderlic test all prospects take. By comparison, Matt Ryan, last year's Offensive Rookie of the Year, scored a 32.)

Lewand said that negotiating with multiple players could benefit the Lions' bargaining position.

"That does create options, and more often than not, options are a good thing," Lewand said.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
    Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700

KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.
    I suspect KFFL jumped the gun a bit with their wording, rushing to the conclusion that Smith was the pick because Detroit has started negotiating with him. Really, they'll probably negotiate with Stafford and Curry as well, if not also Monroe and maybe even Raji.

I hate taking Tackles and Linebackers that high. This is a down year for O-Tackles though.
    Not at the top, where you've got Smith, Monroe, and possibly Oher depending on how you view him.

IMO usually Tackles get drafted and trained by a team. Then just as they get good they get big free agent money to go elsewhere.
    I don't think that's really the case. Most teams make sure they keep quality tackles, specifically on the left side. You really don't see many good tackles hitting free agency any more. That's why it's important to draft and develop them.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

alert!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Other than Arch (which was 8 years ago and a player who was projected to play SS, not just some whim by the Rams), give me a name of a college LB that the Rams tried to make play Safety.
    Jon Alston.

it never translated to anything on the field, so most don't remember it happening, but if my memory serves me right, there were a number of practices devoted to giving Alston a chance to develop as a strong safety. its possible they never went thru with it, but i know it was considered.

it didn't work out obviously, and they ended up leaving him at LB. then that didn't work either....

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    alert!

Jon Alston.

it never translated to anything on the field, so most don't remember it happening, but if my memory serves me right, there were a number of practices devoted to giving Alston a chance to develop as a strong safety. its possible they never went thru with it, but i know it was considered.

it didn't work out obviously, and they ended up leaving him at LB. then that didn't work either....
    That's funny, I always made him a DE in my Madden Franchises and he TORE UP quarterbacks. I think I got him up to like 27 sacks one season.

Now returning to your regularly scheduled debate...

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Well, personally I truely believe we musttake Curry and if possible Monroe although If we take Curry, the chances of us also getting Monroe as well are slim to nonexistant. What say you????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast