Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: A little frustrated with Devaney

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

A little frustrated with Devaney

Let me start off this post by saying I am very happy with the Rams offseason thus far. None of the moves made have been flashy, but they all fill an area of need for the team. I was never one of the fans who wanted Devaney to get Bush or Sproles, but Norwood seems like a joke to me. I know what Norwood is capable of but the injury risk seems to high to me. Devaney has admitted countless amounts of times that he has ignored back-up running back for too long, and then his solution is an injury waiting to happen in Norwood. To me this shows that Devaney is just making the same mistake in years past. Maybe Norwood works out if he is signed, maybe he gets injured the first game of the season, I dont know. What I do know is Devaney has learned nothing from his past mistakes.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: A little frustrated with Devaney

I know what you been RamBam. Norwood is a stop gap at best.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

SJax is a healthy productive starter that has missed very few games in his career. Is it possible that we had more glaring needs that took priority? Is it possible that Devaney is waiting for some possible RB candidates to be released from other teams as camps progress?

I trust Devaney with all my heart.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

MarTeezy is offline Registered User

I think Norwood is a piece to the backup running back solution. He is nothing more than a change of pace guy, that will probably be on the field for around 10 plays. I think they will bring in a guy that can actually step in and play full time if SJax goes down. Norwood isn't that guy.

And hey, you still have to wait and see what Washington and Toston bring to the table.

My problem BM is that you can't always take a wait and see approach for filling a glaring need. Jackson is still a productive back, but I wouldn't describe him as healthy. I would say he is reliable with a history of health problems. Luckily none of his injuries have added up to large chunks of time being missed. Having someone who can step up and start 4 games with out the offense taking a hit is a glaring need for the Rams, and it has been ever since Steven Jackson was Faulk's backup. Devaney doesn't have to hit a homerun but I am a little disappointed in Devaney's approach to back-up running back yet again.

I know his purpose is to be a change of pace guy, but if he isn't healthy then it doesn't matter what he is good at doing. I just wish Devaney would have targeted a back-up with a cleaner bill of health. When you admit the depth has been a problem, and then settle for a guy who had 2 carries last season shows me he still isn't taking this problem seriously.

MarTeezy is offline Registered User

I think the Rams have to take the wait and see approach. They aren't in a position to just jump out and grab the first guy that's available. Remember, they are only two days into practicing in pads. They have to do their due diligence on the guys that are currently on the roster.

Next week you are still going to have some guys available.

As for Jackson not being fully healthy. That can be said for every single back in the league that has played more than a season. All of those guys are dinged up and have nagging injuries that don't ever really heal. Its a part of the business.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

There seems to be some thought that the Rams will sign 2 RBs (the second possibly being Cadillac Williams), so the jury is still out on this one.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There seems to be some thought that the Rams will sign 2 RBs (the second possibly being Cadillac Williams), so the jury is still out on this one.
    Absolutely. Adding two RB's in FA is a good possibility and a smart move. Devaney deserves the benefit of the doubt until things on the FA front shake out. The Rams have tweeted they will make "an announcement or two" tonight, so it sounds like the wheels are in motion.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

You're a little too quick to judge... The only running backs that have been signed from FA as of now are the big named ones, there are many remaining and like AV said, it looks like were going after 2.

If the Rams sign Norwood and Cadillac Williams I will definitely be eating crow. I know I am being impatient. I just feel like Devaney is taking a different approach to what he talked about in the past two years.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Im sure they would have drafted a RB if they thought he was the Heir-apparent to SJax, since they thought otherwise, they are just trying to find a temporary support crew for Jackson and not overpay for those services. I think there are still plenty of RB's that fit the bill (why rush?) But im like any other Ram fan, i want them to SIGN SIGN SIGN, but if they gave into every whim of RAM Nation, we'd be $30 million over the cap. Pick up one medium salary guy in Brown/Harrison/Snelling/Cadilac and pick up a cheapie in Norwood/Slaton (via trade).

But although as a fan i want instant signing and peace of mind, gotta trust the men up stairs with the process.

Agreed. I just want all offensive players in camp ready to learn McD's system. The longer they miss out, the farther behind they will be in the learning process. With that being said, I can't wait to see our beloved rams play this season.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

how is he taking a different approach? You've also talked about having a wait and see approach but we've went after multiple backs this offseason. We've went after Sproles, had interest in Bush and offered a multi year contract to Brown. It's not like we aren't going after these guys. There just choosing to go other places. There's not much more we can do about it. These are veterans who are getting offered more money and from teams who are perennial super bowl contenders. At this point we can't compete.

Plus Norwood is likely not going to be our primary back up. It's just funny to me how adhd fans have become nowadays. I'm sure TS was one of the same people complaining last week that we weren't making enough moves before we filled nearly all of our needs. Be patient for once. Seriously there is an announcement tonight that could be about this issue.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Well all I can say is at least DeSpags is trying to address the issue. They didn't do anything last season except stick with Darby and Toston. A healthy Norwood is a very flashy player. Of course "healthy" is not usually next to Norwoods name. It's a start!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast