Big Horn is offline Registered User

Live From UVA Pro-Day

Hey all,
    As I posted last week, I got a chance to go to UVA's Pro-Day here in C'Ville. I just got home and wanted to post some of my thoughts on the players and, more importantly in my mind, the pro scouts that attended the work out.

First off let me say that the Rams had far more coaches and scouts (6 in all) than any other team there. Linehan was the only Head Coach in attendance that I could see. Charlie Casserly was there as well as Paul Burmeister from the NFL Network.

Work started inside the weight room. Only about eight players did bench reps w/ the most impressive in my mind being Safety Nate Lyles @ 22 reps. The same eight did the Vert Jump and Lyles turned in the best @ 36". He also had great energy in the locker room, getting all the guys pumped up. He was the biggest surprise of the day for me. Definitely created the most buzz for himself. Chris Long and Branden Albert were in the room but didn't do any of the workouts.

When we went outside to see the shuttles and drills I got a chance to introduce myself to Scott Linehan. I was more than a little nervous and he was very nice about the whole thing, even making some small talk about the poor weather and what not. We got a chance to interview him for the local Networks. More on that later.

I wasn't able to get many forty times but again the man of the hour was Lyles turning in 4.43 and 4.46. Both of the TE's (Tom Santi, Jonathan Stuper) also looked pretty good in the forty. No times for C. Long or B. Albert but that was to be expected.

The main event was Chris's drills. He did mostly standup linebacker work though some DE hand work as well, and it's clear to me that he won't make it past our pick at #2.
    The Rams had him surrounded w/ Tony Softli on one side another scout next to me and Linehan and the rest of the guys across the field. He looked great at everything he did. He showed off four different pass rush moves, but his counter-step speed move was incredible to watch. He just looked so smooth coming off the edge and his hand placement really is top notch. At the close of the workout Al Groh joked "Now if you'll excuse me I've got to catch a plane to St. Louis"

Big Braden Albert also got allot of attention from the scouts. Joe Bugel of the Redskins personally worked him through his drills and seemed very impressed with how he handled himself. Also saw B. Albert talking to the Steelers guy and the Jags guy in private so it looks like he'll definitely go somewhere in the late first round.

Like I said earlier I got to help interview a few of the guys for the local Networks. I would love to be able to post the videos for all of you to see but don't have the know how just yet (mods help?) So I'll give you my personal highlights.

Linehan said that C. Long looks good at everything and has no doubt that he could step into a 4-3 scheme and be an immediate contributer. Said the biggest upside is his work ethic and character. Loves his versatility.

Nate Lyles said that he was excited to workout for the scouts. Doesn't think that he'll get drafted but would love to come in and work out for any team that would have him. Knows that his injury two years ago will be a concern for many teams but promises hard work and leadership. He seemed very level headed and I would love to see the Rams give this guy a shot as a Rookie free agent.

Chris Long gave a 45 min private interview to the Rams and then did an interview with Burmeister and the NFLN (look for it on Path To The Draft). He was pretty low key in our interview. Said that he tries not to think about the draft too much but that he's addicted to websurfing and checks his stock often. Said his weight was around 267 and that he could gain or lose depending on where a team wanted to play him. Also said that he didn't think that the relationship between Al Groh and Parcells had any bearing on if they would take him with the first pick. He mentioned that the Rams asked him about how he likes to spend his off time and he said he was just a low key stay at home guy.

All in all it was a very exciting day for me. A great chance to see the behind the scenes stuff that goes on. If you all have any questions I'll be happy to go into more detail about things.

Big Horn

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Live From UVA Pro-Day

Great job Big Horn! Your up-close and personal observations are appreciated.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Man sounds like a day for you. Great job!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Thanks for the insight!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Great job Big Horn, I'm sure that was tons more than you were expecting. Getting to meet the coach and all that. That was a great synopsis and I'd be more than happy to hear every juicy detail of it. Amusingly enough, both my parents were at UVA today, ushering Baseball and Basketball games.

I was interested in hearing that Chris didn't lift, as I thought he skipped that at the combine because he had a sore thumb. Maybe he'll lift later or in private workouts. I'd have to imagine he'd be in the thirties. It's also good to hear that he did amazing throughout the workout, showing that he has the mobility and quickness to even be a linebacker. That should put to rest worries that he won't be at least a bit of a speed problem for offensive tackles in addition to being a major strength problem.

The SS prospect, Nate Lyles, would be an interesting pickup and maybe he could be the next undrafted player to make an impact in the NFL. Rod Smith, Tony Romo, Willie Parker, all of them were undrafted. Maybe this guy could be next. I hope the Rams look at him too, seeing as we need a new SS and after a year learning from Chavous, maybe he could take over for him. He certainly had some good measurables.

keith m. klink Guest

great job on the info , but this is just making me more excited and i just want the DOLPHINS to take J. LONG or DORSEY and just let us have the kid already .

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It's interesting to hear about the "small-time" players, too. Thanks for your insight, bud.

Lyles might even be an interesting late-round guy; not knowing much of him, it seems like he's built for special teams.

Big Horn is offline Registered User

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback.

It was a pretty incredible experience for me. I'm still taking it all in. If I can post a link to the local CBS station here in C'ville, you all should check out my boys Marc Davis and JW Stehle. JW definitely worked some extra Linehan quotes into his piece for me.

Chris Long Impresses at NFL Pro-Timing Day

In the opening scene you get to see Nate Lyles (in the orange top) doing the Vert. jump. You can see him later helping Chris with the lateral drill.

And if I thought this was fun, it's nothing compared to the possibility of heading up to New York to do some Draft day interviews with Chris. JW has already applied for the credentials I just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Big Horn

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That's a great video, Big Horn. To get Linehan's impression was pretty cool.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod