Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Logan Mankins Requests A Trade

Per Mike Reiss:

Updating a previous item, restricted free agent LG Logan Mankins requested Monday that the Patriots trade him.
    "I don't need to be here anymore," said Mankins, one of the NFL's top guards. "This is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people." It sounds like the sides have had no substantive talks about a long-term deal, perhaps because the Pats don't believe in investing high-dollar contracts on offensive guards. Despite previous suggestions otherwise, Mankins does not plan to sign his tender and vows to skip training camp. Jun. 14 - 3:38 pm et.
    Is anybody interested?

There's no salary cap this year and as it stands, we would more than have the cap room to pay him in any case.

IMO, it would be pretty cool to do a New York Jets and turn a team weakness for a number of seasons into a team strength over the course of one offseason.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Logan Mankins Requests A Trade

The Rams signed Jacob Bell to a rather lucrative contract in 2008, and then signed Jason Brown as a free agent and Jason Smith as a rookie to big deals as well.

Mankins is probably looking for a deal close to the extension Jahri Evans got from New Orleans last month (seven-year, $56.7 million). I don't see the Rams trading for and investing a fourth big contract in another offensive lineman.

I suspect they think someone they already have on the roster - be it Fraley, Roger Allen, John Greco, or Adam Goldberg - who can start in that spot.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Logan Mankins Requests A Trade

In addition to all the names Nick mentioned, we used a second round pick on Roger Saffold this year. We've invested pretty heavily in the line, and I'd have to agree that more than likely the Rams are looking for improvement to come from within the current ranks.