Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Long/Dorsey, Smith/Curry, Bradford/Suh.... Blackmon/Kalil

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Long/Dorsey, Smith/Curry, Bradford/Suh.... Blackmon/Kalil

It seems that in the (all too frequent) years in which the Rams have held a Top 10 pick, the decision has come down to two players.

2008: Chris Long vs. Glenn Dorsey
    Although Jake Long was in the discussion for a while, ultimately it was clear that the Dolphins planned to select him with the first pick. At that point, it became a two-man race between Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey. Up to draft day, many "insders" were certain that they knew which way the Rams would go (half were right, half were wrong). The Rams went with Long and, at this point, virtually everyone would agree that they made the right choice.

2009: Jason Smith vs. Aaron Curry
    In the months leading to the draft, names like Michael Crabtree and Eugene Monroe were mentioned as leading candidates for the Rams' selection. In the end, though, it came down to Smith vs. Curry for most. Smith has been a disappointment, both in terms of his play and his durability, but Curry has not been any better (already having been traded for a late round draft choice). In the end, perhaps that was just a bad overall draft year.

2010: Sam Bradford vs. Nndamukong Suh
    This two-man race was and, to some extent, continues to be, among the biggest subjects of debate in recent years. Both players had great rookie years. Both players have had their troubles in their second season. In the end, though, if Bradford develops into the franchise QB many still believe he can be, you have to go with the QB over a DT.

And now, with Matt Kalil announcing that he is entering the 2012 draft, I think we are looking at the next great 2 man debate:

2012: Justin Blackmon vs. Matt Kalil
    This is going to be a tough one, that will likely come down to a debate of football ideologies. Both players are elite prospects. Both play a position of primary need. The ultimate question will be, do you build with a playmaker (Blackmon) or an anchor (Kalil). While I have my opinion (I'm pro-Blackmon at this point), I think this debate will be marked by a lot of comments that essentially say "I favor [Player A], but I completely understand why you favor [Player B]." If both meet their potential, this will ultimately be a "can't lose either way" choice.

Let the debates begin!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-16-2011 at 12:21 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Long/Dorsey, Smith/Curry, Bradford/Suh.... Blackmon/Kalil

2008: Chris Long vs. Glenn Dorsey
    Lest the vocal few get upset; there was a die-hard group pushing for Gholston as well. Gotta love YouTube.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Lest the vocal few get upset; there was a die-hard group pushing for Gholston as well. Gotta love YouTube.
    Godlike.

Its a toss up for me, and really depends on what we do in free agency. I wouldn't mind to see Smith slide inside to LG. Saffold to RT and Kalil at LT. But this team needs playmakers, whether we draft em, re sign em, or sign em.
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

And now, with Matt Kalil announcing that he is entering the 2012 draft, I think we are looking at the next great 2 man debate:

2012: Justin Blackmon vs. Matt Kalil
    This is going to be a tough one, that will likely come down to a debate of football ideologies. Both players are elite prospects. Both play a position of primary need. The ultimate question will be, do you build with a playmaker (Blackmon) or an anchor (Kalil). While I have my opinion (I'm pro-Blackmon at this point), I think this debate will be marked by a lot of comments that essentially say "I favor [Player A], but I completely understand why you favor [Player B]." If both meet their potential, this will ultimately be a "can't lose either way" choice.

Let the debates begin!
    For me, this begs the question: "Which player will help elevate Sam Bradford's play more next year - Blackmon or Kalil?" Anyone want to bite on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    For me, this begs the question: "Which player will help elevate Sam Bradford's play more next year - Blackmon or Kalil?" Anyone want to bite on this one?
    Single handedly? The answer has to be Blackmon.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

One thing I'd point out is that, in the previous three drafts you mentioned, the Rams had the opportunity to take both of those players and had to choose one. This year, if the Minnesota Vikings stay ahead of the Rams in the draft order, I think it's very possible if not probable that the Vikings select either Kalil or Blackmon, and thus make the choice for the Rams.

At this point in the process, I'd actually be pretty happy with either of them. I've been a guy who for three seasons now has talked about this team's need for a playmaking wide receiver, but with as atrocious as the line has looked in 2011, a franchise left tackle to protect and stabilize the line would be a good move as well.
    Rambos and Tampa_Ram like this.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Has to be Blackmon. I'm always excited and optimistic about the Rams for a new season but I can't get excited about the current WR corps and they'll be destined for medocrity until they get a genuine no. 1 receiver. I don't care if Bradford gets 10 seconds in the pocket, Brandon Gibson still won't be able to get open and gain any YAC.

Look at the best offenses in the NFL - the Packers, Saints, Texans, Patriots, Lions - none of them have elite LTs but have great targets for the QB. The best tackle in the league, Joe Thomas, plays on the worst offense in the NFL (apart from ours). Matt Kalil won't make this offense good but Blackmon can.
    Tampa_Ram, punahou and jmk321 like this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I think it's likely Minnesota picks Kalil if they end up at 2. So we might not have a choice at all. I'm in the Kalil camp but I both guys would be great imo.

RKDfan is offline Registered User

I used to be on the Kalil train, but have switched over to Blackmon.
    IMO The reason Bradford is getting sacked so much is because defenses aren't scared of our receivers and just blitz Sam because they know they only need one man on a receiver like Brandon Gibson. I think the O-Line may be getting a bit too much heat. So I think that with another legit receiver opposite of Lloyd, defenses won't be blitzing the safeties and linebackers on every play. Just thinking out loud.
    md8 likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Single handedly? The answer has to be Blackmon.
    After watching A.J. Green yesterday, I'm inclined to agree. How does Blackmon stack up against Green?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    After watching A.J. Green yesterday, I'm inclined to agree. How does Blackmon stack up against Green?
    He's not the physical specimen that Green is, but he arguably has better fundamental skills.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

You almost see a Blackmon every draft. You only see a Green every 5.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RKDfan View Post
    I used to be on the Kalil train, but have switched over to Blackmon.
    IMO The reason Bradford is getting sacked so much is because defenses aren't scared of our receivers and just blitz Sam because they know they only need one man on a receiver like Brandon Gibson. I think the O-Line may be getting a bit too much heat. So I think that with another legit receiver opposite of Lloyd, defenses won't be blitzing the safeties and linebackers on every play. Just thinking out loud.
    Hmmm..I've been in the Kalil camp for weeks now but I must admit that I am s-l-o-w-l-y starting to come around to this line of thinking.

It has occurred to me that a lot of our protection problems have been as much blitz related as anything else, and this, for the most part, is not on the offensive line.

So what is the issue then? You are supposed to "burn" teams that blitz you...maybe with our Wrs we just can't get it done.

Also, you are supposed to make an opponent think twice before sending a blitz; again maybe they just don't fear us sufficiently to reconsider.

I sure remember the halcyon GSOT days when the Rams would all but pay the other team to blitz Kurt Warner. Oh pleeeze...send the blitz!!! Lol

Kurt and co. would definitely make them pay. It's time to return to those days...

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    You almost see a Blackmon every draft. You only see a Green every 5.
    I don't agree with that. Green was a rare prospect, no doubt, but there have been plenty of drafts when there were no prospects at the level of Blackmon.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I don't agree with that. Green was a rare prospect, no doubt, but there have been plenty of drafts when there were no prospects at the level of Blackmon.
    True but do you think Blackmon is going to be a big time first year contributor? Those are very rare at the wr position. That being said Green is a better talent. Sure Blackmon would be the #1 receiver in many drafts but he probably would of been #3 last year. It's a shame we couldn't get either Jones or Green. Also a shame that their hasn't been an uber receiver in a few years. Oh for a Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast