Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Long/Dorsey, Smith/Curry, Bradford/Suh.... Blackmon/Kalil

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Re: Long/Dorsey, Smith/Curry, Bradford/Suh.... Blackmon/Kalil

come on now.. Blackmon is a RARE prospect also, not every year there is a blackmon.. who wins the Best Receiver award back to back?? HE DOES! he's more physical then both jones and green.. Green and blackmon have similar 40 yard dash time.. and correct me if not right. blackmon has a higher vertical then green.. julio out jumps both of them though.. I say we put J.Smith at Guard. let bell go Saffold at LT again, sign someone HUGE in FA for lineman cause blackmon is gonna become a ram!
    mde8352gorams likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    True but do you think Blackmon is going to be a big time first year contributor? Those are very rare at the wr position. That being said Green is a better talent. Sure Blackmon would be the #1 receiver in many drafts but he probably would of been #3 last year. It's a shame we couldn't get either Jones or Green. Also a shame that their hasn't been an uber receiver in a few years. Oh for a Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss.
    Last season, when weighing up the WR's from last seasons draft. I had Blackmon behind Green, but still in front of Jones. I do not think Blackmon has the physical prowess of Jones, but I still feel he is the better natural WR, of the two players.?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Last season, when weighing up the WR's from last seasons draft. I had Blackmon behind Green, but still in front of Jones. I do not think Blackmon has the physical prowess of Jones, but I still feel he is the better natural WR, of the two players.?
    Same as me. Green to me is by far the best WR since Megatron. I had him at #1 and Blackmon at #2. He looks more like a pure WR to me. He ran many routes and didn't have many knocks. Jones was #3 and is still a great player but it seemed he only caught the ball for minimal yardage and had to work for more. At the end of the day, I think all will be elite WR's in the league with Green being the best.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Wow looking back we made the right decision each time:

Long > Dorsey
    Smith > Curry (he is not even with seattle anymore)
    Bradford > Suh (well many will disagree but Suh will keep getting suspended if he plays like he does)

Also when is that last time theres been a WR as consistent as blackmon?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

If we stay with the 3rd pick and Kalil is gone there is another option available depending on who is running this team. If Luck and Kalil go 1-2 there might be a team who wants to trade up for RG3 or some other QB. At which point I'd take that trade and grab those extra picks. Then I'd look at that Stanford tackle (Martin?) and maybe Jeffery or Floyd.

Ultimately it comes down to which you think is more importal: T or WR. With the sorry state of our OL I'd take a great T first.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Has to be Blackmon. I'm always excited and optimistic about the Rams for a new season but I can't get excited about the current WR corps and they'll be destined for medocrity until they get a genuine no. 1 receiver. I don't care if Bradford gets 10 seconds in the pocket, Brandon Gibson still won't be able to get open and gain any YAC.

Look at the best offenses in the NFL - the Packers, Saints, Texans, Patriots, Lions - none of them have elite LTs but have great targets for the QB. The best tackle in the league, Joe Thomas, plays on the worst offense in the NFL (apart from ours). Matt Kalil won't make this offense good but Blackmon can.
    exactly- good offensive lineman are a lot easier to find than and elite skill player.

The main reasonis that speed and quickness are 95%+ genetic. You can do various types of training to enhance your speed, but ultimately you will never dramatically become a 4.3 guy when you're a 4.7 guy.

Stength and stamina on the other hand, while having capped areas as far as how much/long you will be able to lift/sustain, can be improved upon drastically. (IE one can squat 150lbs, and through intensive weight training he could increase to 500lb squat).

It's in these areas that the foundation for a good lineman is built. (as well as other intangibles like good football sense).
    RockinRam likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

Long > Dorsey
    Bradford > Suh (well many will disagree but Suh will keep getting suspended if he plays like he does)

Long > Dorsey

I definately didnt want Smith at the time- I was more Curry/Crabtree/Sanchez (i think thats the draft they were in)

Mumble, Mumble
    Suh IMO is and still should have been the correct pick. Look at it this way-- Suh is the catalyst of the defense. His impact on defense greatly influences the opposing teams gameplans; much the same way a good QB would for the offense.

And this 4 pillars thing has got to go. Football is a violent sport. There's a reason why you do not see many accountants, software engineers, and fashion designers playing the game.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'll take the playmaker......
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I would go with Blackmon for several reasons. First he's a playmaking WR which we are sorely lacking and that with B. Lloyd (we need to re-sign him) on the other side will hopefully give defenses match-up problems that they cannot simply tee-off on Sam, especially if you factor in the emergence of Lance Kendricks. Second, is it wise to spend a top 3 pick for a position (LT) where we have a good talented player already. Saffold is going to rebound next year and by moving Smith inside we can find a RT in later rounds or through FA. The point was earlier that the best teams in the league don't necessarily have elite LT's but they have damn good playmaking receivers.

My final point is what about Trent Richardson? If we trade S-Jax as some suggest, here's our replacement. Plus we get draft picks or players of need.

What say ye?

Go Rams!

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

If the Colts win next week, this debate may not even take place. We could see a Luck vs. Bradford argument waged on the boards for the next four months.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Blackmon is definitely a huge prospect. I think he has great potential.

However...for some reason, there's a little nagging feeling that he's a receiver that could end up being Michael Crabtree-like.

Kalil is great offensive lineman. IMO, he is very low risk, and very high potential. However... I don't think his presence alone will directly make Bradford better.

Left tackle is important, but sometimes people overvalue that position way too much. It is still only one of five spots on the line. You can have a pro-bowl hall of fame LT, but if the rest of your line is taking a $hit during games, the LT won't stand out, and his flawless game won't be of much use because even though his QB is not crushed on the backside, he's crushed on every other side.

For right now, a playmaker is what we need. Bradford is a QB that absolutely needs talent around him to succeed. Right now, his only target is Lloyd, who is getting shut down by double and triple coverages, and nobody else is stepping up.

Kendricks? Pettis? Alexander? Gibson? Spach?

No one is stepping up, and he doesn't trust any of these guys to throw a deep jump ball to them, not even Alexander (consistently).

If the FO believes Blackmon can be the playmaker Bradford needs, then take him.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

Long > Dorsey

Bradford<Suh
    If suh keeps playing the way he's playing he'll be a hall of famer!

It would be criminal if we dont go with a potential playmaker like blackmon. Last year our line was fine as far as the T position and we won 7 games. If we had kalil or a pro bowl LT last year we would still be 7-9. BUT if we had a playmaking wr we woulda been 9-7 and in the playoffs.... Remember all those drops last year?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Since we are obviously going to have a VERY high pick, I am of the opinion that we should consider a serious trade - a #1 pick, a #2 pick, and a proven YOUNG veteran (3 years or so of experience) that is either a WR or corner.

Of course, Blackmon wouldn't upset me either....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12