Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Re: Long Story on Matt Jones - Why No Way 3/4

I take it from the lack of response for a discussion on Matt Jones that only a minority on this board feel he is worth a look see. I'd still appreciate some feedback either way.

GSOT is offline Registered User

Matt jones = best athlete by far in the draft and my favorite player.

Thank you GSOT. I think he's worth a look. But, I haven't been able to get much of a discussion going. I feel he could fit in many different positions.
    Last edited by viper; -04-09-2005 at 01:14 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    I take it from the lack of response for a discussion on Matt Jones that only a minority on this board feel he is worth a look see. I'd still appreciate some feedback either way.
    Viper, there's no doubt that Jones is an incredible athlete and down-right freak of nature. But nobody knows what he would do as a FS. The tangibles seem to be there...good size and speed, great vertical, great hands. But I don't think he's had to tackle since high school. That's a big unknown to spend on our 1st round pick, which is what we would have to give because he will be gone before 50. I personally can't see spending our #19 on him on the chance that he may be able to play FS. Unless he puts on 60 pounds and becomes an RT, my vote would be to pass at #19. If something weird happens and he's there at #50, I wouldn't throw pitchforks at Martz for taking him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Good points, HUbison. No way would I give up our # 19 pick for Jones. But, I would consider him in the 2nd round if he's there. If we did pick him and he didn't work out at FS I'm sure we could fit him in somewhere. For example, he apparently was a standout punt returner in high school. I just see lot's of possibilities.

On the other hand, besides getting a top RT, I will be very pleased if we can pick up a known ball hawk at FS.

Thanks for responding, HUbison.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper
    But, I would consider him in the 2nd round if he's there
    If for no other reason, the sheer curiosity of seeing what this guy is actually capable of.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete is offline Registered User

gee...he sure sounds like a potential hall of famer...but, is he coachable?

does he have the memory cells to learn and memorize martz's unconventionally copious and epic game plans, unlike terence wilkins?

can he catch over the middle; has he ever caught a ball over the middle with backers ready to smash him blindsided?

what good is he to martz when the o-line has trouble giving bulger 3.5 seconds to find an open man...?

more gadget and trick plays for martz?

maybe, if the rams were coming off a superbowl victory in 3 or the last 4 seasons, martz may have the luxury and security of picking matt jones with the #19, but i'm not convinced matt jones will, even with all his athletic skills, be a difference maker on the rams team...bulger and the wrs are not the rams weak link...the o-line and te pass blocking is, imo...

but, in case jones is available in the 2nd rd when the rams pick, i'd admit, it would be very interesting to see what the rams FO does...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hey Vip 3: Martz is probably drooling over M. Jones--just think of the possibilities of what a coach could do with such an incredible athlete. As far as his ability to absorb Martz's playbook, it is relatively safe to assume that one who has played the QB position at the collegiate level is more than likely going to be one of the sharper tools in the shed.

However, Hubison makes some very logical points, and as much as I love the guy, we really do need help at right tackle and safety. I just hope the Eagles don't get him at the 31 spot in round #1.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam
    I just hope the Eagles don't get him at the 31 spot in round #1.
    Mel Kiper has the Eagle's taking him at 31. That's a scary thought. I know one thing for sure...I'd rather be playing with him on our team than against him!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The guy is a freak of nature. Just about single handedly beat Texas at Austin two years ago. He would get a half of a step on the corner and would be gone. No one could catch him. At his size, he would be a TE in the NFL. With the rules committee enforcing the 5 yard rule on the defenses, the TE has become a major weapon and the Rams could use one.

At his size, he would be a TE in the NFL
    The only problem being is that, in interviews, he appears about as excited about playing TE as Pisa does playing SS.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know what bison.....two commas on a contract figure quite possibly could change anyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    You know what bison.....two commas on a contract figure quite possibly could change anyone's mind.
    You could dress me in a skirt and call me Sally for two commas on a contract. I'm sure Jones will play TE if asked, just as Pisa would play SS if Martz pushed it. I just don't think he's as excited about that as WR.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    The only problem being is that, in interviews, he appears about as excited about playing TE as Pisa does playing SS.
    HUb,

Great point and points by all! I have seen this guy play twice in person and he is awesome. He is a guy you want on your team.

Though not a No. 19, I hope we draft him cause he could be "USED" in soo many different ways on all three teams. And he had better than "Good" speed considering his size.

I would rather have him as experiment and a third string qb than that POS jaime whimpo. He is a huge slash with more durability and has great experience playing in the SEC.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Brilliant!

Tx, any word/projections on your boy Danny Wimprine?
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast