Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By harrydog

Thread: As long as two QBs are selected in top 13, the Rams will be fine.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

As long as two QBs are selected in top 13, the Rams will be fine.

The way I look at the draft at this point, Round 1 comes down to a simple formula:

If two QBs are selected in the first 13 picks, then the Rams will have the opportunity to select a great prospect to fill a need.

The reason is simple. There are 12 players who I would be very happy to obtain with the 14th pick (some would make me happier than others, but that's not the point).

They are, in alphabetical order:

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    Would be great to pair him with James Laurinaitis.
    Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    My top ranked defender in the draft.
    Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
    Would love to see what Spags could do with him.
    Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn
    Could be this year's version of Suh.
    A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
    Would take him in a heartbeat.
    Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    See Comment on Green.
    Cameron Jordan, DE, California
    Was one of the stars of the Senior Bowl.
    Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    Just a great football player.
    Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    Don't worry about his 3-4 profile. He'd be a terror off the edge in any scheme.
    Patrick Peterson, DB, LSU
    Could be as impactful as a Troy Polamalu.
    Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    Imagine him paired with Chris Long.
    Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri
    Off-the-charts pass rush potential.

So, as long as two QBs (Gabbert and Newton most likely) go in the top 13, at least one of these 12 will be there when the Rams pick at Number 14.

I could live with that.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: As long as two QBs are selected in top 13, the Rams will be fine.

I agree fully with this logic, after reading this I actually feel better about our draft spot. I was getting anxious after Julio performed so well at the combine but we do have alot of options.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

What I cant live with is the anxiety of knowing who we will pick at this position or if we will trade down or up!

Still a lot of time and scrutiny before draft day but, right now, I think the key is that (again, as long as 2 QBs are taken before 14) the Rams won't have to make a trade to get a very good prospect.

viper is offline Registered User

Excellent point, Av! We will come out of the first round with a solid prospect that should be able to contribute to our team's continued improvement this year. I too have been somewhat anxious about the upcoming draft. Of course, that happens to me every year.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I totally agree, if Julio is gone, we still have plenty of options to improve our team.

Sure WR is a huge need, but its nice to be in a position where we can let the draft come to us, and draft the best player available.

We don't HAVE to draft a certain player this year, ie an offensive tackle or a QB. And we aren't in a position where you "can't" draft a certain position that high, ie a wide receiver or olb. Heck we could possibly even draft a offensive guard, I wouldn't be opposed to picking up Mike Pouncey at 14 if he plays at a Pro Bowl level like his twin.

Gonna be a fun April!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I hear what you are saying and agree that 2 QBs could easily pop into the top 10. But I also think that based upon their combine performances 2 OTs,Tryon Smith and possibly even Nate Solder could also be in the running for top 10-12 consideration.

There are a number of teams who simply must improve their O- line and historically offensive tackles are a much sought after commodity come draft day.

If this works out like this it could leave the Rams in a position to choose from 3 or even 4 prospects at our 14th pick. This is what I am hoping for.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    I hear what you are saying and agree that 2 QBs could easily pop into the top 10. But I also think that based upon their combine performances 2 OTs,Tryon Smith and possibly even Nate Solder could also be in the running for top 10-12 consideration.

There are a number of teams who simply must improve their O- line and historically offensive tackles are a much sought after commodity come draft day.

If this works out like this it could leave the Rams in a position to choose from 3 or even 4 prospects at our 14th pick. This is what I am hoping for.

WHAT SAY YE?
    I agree. It is entirely possible that more than one of the players on my list could be available, which would be great. But, even if only one were there, the Rams would still have the chance to get a very good player.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very valid and as was stated in another thread the absence of a CBA increases the chances as teams will be unable to fill any QB needs via trade or FA. The only question I have is whether certain DL's are better suited for 3-4 rather than our 4-3 defense. Regardless, I still agree we'll snag a great player.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Good point, Av. If the Rams either aren't in love with Jones or he's off the board, it looks like it could be a great time to grab a bookend DE to pair with Chris Long. But an outside linebacker or defensive tackle would make a lot of sense as well. The Rams are in a pretty good spot in terms of talented prospects, and who knows, if other players end up going in the top 13 as well, maybe the Rams can move back a couple spots and still get a guy they like.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Very valid and as was stated in another thread the absence of a CBA increases the chances as teams will be unable to fill any QB needs via trade or FA. The only question I have is whether certain DL's are better suited for 3-4 rather than our 4-3 defense. Regardless, I still agree we'll snag a great player.

Go Rams!
    I think there are some players that might not fit well in a 4-3, but those are usually players like Adam Carriker, who project as a 3-4 DE.

I think most top 3-4 OLBs, if they have the build to support at least 270 lbs., can be effective as 4-3 DEs, particularly in a system (such as Spags') that likes to move players around situationally.

A good example of a player like this is Leonard Little. Out of college, he was built like a prototype 3-4 OLB. However, he ultimately gained some weight and was able to have a very good career as a 4-3 DE.

Matthias Kiwanuka, developed under Spags, is another example.

Looking at my list, one might question whether Quinn, Kerrigan and even Miller could excel in a 4-3. I believe that all three can be playmakers in any system.

harrydog is offline Registered User

One good thing about having the 14th pick is that we should have far more options than we did last year. There are usually only a few players worthy of the 1st overall pick, or even the second or third. It worked out for us last year because we really needed a QB but if the worthy players are not a need position you end up paying a ton of money for a player when you really should be addressing another need or you reach and over pay to fill a need.
    At 14 there will be some very good players that will fall to us and we are in the position where one of them will almost certainly be a need position.
    C-Mob 71 likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Av, i am really curious as to why you dont have the Prince on your list. We could certainly use a stud db.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Av, i am really curious as to why you dont have the Prince on your list. We could certainly use a stud db.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't look at CB as a top need, as I think Bartell and Fletcher are more than adequate as starters. Peterson makes my list because I think he is a rare player who could probably excel at any of the four DB spots.

tank_dogg06 is offline Registered User

I like the Rams position. Sure they could use a playmaker at WR but it wouldn't hurt to go defense with the 14th pick. Another one of those big boys up front next to Chris Long and they will be approaching fearsome mode again.