Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

A look at the 2007 NFL Draft

I know its early but what position do you guys want to see us go after? Or what positions do you think we need? And who do you want?

Mine: Top 3 Position Needs

1. WR
    A. Calvin Johnson (I really hope next year that he will fall into our Lap and we snag him up. He is big at 6ft 5in tall and 235lbs. With Torry Holt going to be 31 and Bruce going to be 34 and Curtis going to be 29. We need to start thinking about the Future of the Position.
    Highlight Video Here!

2. QB
    A. Troy Smith ... Depending on how this season goes he could be there when we could pick first round or second round but not after second round. He has a cannon for an arm and also can run very well. We need to be looking at Quarterback because Bulgers health is a Concern with his Shoulder. Fitzpatrick could be a choice but right now he doesn't look like starter material.
    Highlight Video Here!

3. SS
    A. Michael Griffin ...How much longer can Chavous play? Is Jerome Carter the Future at SS? I'd like to say Jerome is because I like the guy I feel if he works on coverage he could be a Good Safety in the league but I'm a homer so I can say that about anyone. But Griffin has good size at 6ft 205lbs and if Jerome don't work out or the coachs don't see it in him he'd be a good choice for it.
    Highlight Video Here!

Your turn.

RamsFan16

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: A look at the 2007 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    With Torry Holt going to be 31 and Bruce going to be 34 and Curtis going to be 29. We need to start thinking about the Future of the Position.
    Already??????????????

Um.. Yea. Its never to early to start.
    RamsFan16

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I know its early but what position do you guys want to see us go after? Or what positions do you think we need? And who do you want?

Mine: Top 3 Position Needs

1. WR
    A. Calvin Johnson (I really hope next year that he will fall into our Lap and we snag him up. He is big at 6ft 5in tall and 235lbs. With Torry Holt going to be 31 and Bruce going to be 34 and Curtis going to be 29. We need to start thinking about the Future of the Position.
    Highlight Video Here!

2. QB
    A. Troy Smith ... Depending on how this season goes he could be there when we could pick first round or second round but not after second round. He has a cannon for an arm and also can run very well. We need to be looking at Quarterback because Bulgers health is a Concern with his Shoulder. Fitzpatrick could be a choice but right now he doesn't look like starter material.
    Highlight Video Here!

3. SS
    A. Michael Griffin ...How much longer can Chavous play? Is Jerome Carter the Future at SS? I'd like to say Jerome is because I like the guy I feel if he works on coverage he could be a Good Safety in the league but I'm a homer so I can say that about anyone. But Griffin has good size at 6ft 205lbs and if Jerome don't work out or the coachs don't see it in him he'd be a good choice for it.
    Highlight Video Here!

Your turn.
    I disagree with everything you are saying. Sorry but like, I really don't think we have to worry about any of those positions. I SORT OF agree with strong safety, but I'm still not worry at all with Chavous. Why are we thinking of the 2007 Draft? We don't know what we need yet, let's wait till the end of the season.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

First of all, stop trying to steal my job.

On a serious note, you can't assume Johnson is going to come out. He's a junior and until he declares, you have to leave him off the available list. That's basically the understood rule of draft scouting and projections. Even if he did come out though, I don't see a significant need at WR. Holt @ 31 is still an elite receiver in this league, Bruce still appears to be a more than servicable starter, Curtis @ 29 is ready to start. With Linehan's desire to make better use of the tight end, we don't need the exceptionally deep receiving corps from the Martz era. Drafting a WR high should only be done if the player is the BPA, because I don't see a positional need there at all.

Furthermore, I still don't agree with you being hopped up on drafting a QB early. The only way that makes sense is if Bulger either gets significantly injured or if he flounders in 2006. Since neither has happened, I don't think you can consider it a need position at this point. Consider that we came into camp this year with TOO MANY quarterbacks - Bulger, Frerotte, Fitz, Smoker, and Ragone. Fitz and Ragone are in a battle for the #3 job, but whoever wins out will likely get canned should the Rams spend a high pick next spring, and frankly I'm not quite ready to give up on Fitz yet as a future project. If Bulger has another injury in 2006 or just doesn't look as good out of Martz's system, then let's pencil QB in somewhere on the list. Now? It just looks silly, IMO.

I'm more than happy with Griffith appearing on the need list, and expressed as much a month ago when you made your early mock draft but included Meriweather instead. This guy has the talent to play either safety position IMO. He started for the Longhorns last year at free safety, but his hard hitting attitude may make him a better fit at SS. I'd recommend keeping an eye on LSU standout LaRon Landry as well, but he was a projected first round safety last year and will only improve his stock in his senior year.

But I believe we have potentially much bigger needs at LB, O-line, and DE than we do at QB or WR.

• OLB: The jury is still out on Brandon Chillar and Pisa Tinoisamoa is in a contract year, so looking for an OLB in this draft would be a smart idea. Obviously, Penn State standout Paul Posluszny has to rank high on that list. He's not only separated himself as an oustanding player, but also is a great character guy with a 3.57 GPA. He's an amazing tackler and a leader on the field, but barring any setbacks from his knee injury last season, will likely be in that AJ Hawk range and out of our reach unless we tank in 2006. I also like Rufus Alexander (Oklahoma) as a potential WLB should Pisa not get resigned.
    • O-line: Specifically I believe we could use help at the guard and center position. Richie Incognito has shown flashes of being the answer at left guard, and Mark Setterstrom has been pushing him for that starting job. But until we see either of them on the field in regular season contests, it's going to be hard to gauge exactly what we have. I'm not entirely convinced this is a very good guard class, but don't rule out college tackle Justin Blalock from Texas as an option on the inside. He's been a starter at RT all of his career but has experimented some at guard and could be an ideal road grading replacemernt for Adam Timmerman, though a good senior campaign will make him a top option in 2007 especially if some teams still see him as a tackle, IMO. At center, two names I have high on my list but not necessarily high in terms of where they will go in the draft are Kyle Young from Fresno State and Dan Mozes from West Virginia. Young is an incredibly intelligent player who has been starting since his freshman year and combines great size with impressive athleticism as well. Mozes, who has experience at both guard and center, is really an impressive player in terms of his intelligence and technique. He's not the most physical guy you're going to find but he makes up for it by playing smart and displaying good mastery of his position, as evident by his being a finalist for the Rimington Trophy (nation's top center) the first year he played the position.
    • DE: Leonard Little and Anthony Hargrove are both in contract years. One can assume the Rams will resign Little to a moderate deal (3-4 years) that will allow him to retire a Ram, but if Hargrove doesn't make strides this season, there's a possibility he could walk. Victor Adeyanju has looked impressive in his first preseason contest, but how he'll do against better talent remains to be seen. Either way, if Hargrove departs and Little only has a few years left in the tank, we'll need another DE to pair with Adeyanju (again, should he work out) for the future on our defensive line. The 2007 class is led by two outstanding prospects in Clemson's Gaines Adams and Georgia's Quentin Moses. Both are tall prospects that display great athleticism and quick burst off the edge. Adams and Moses currently sit at #3 and #4 on Mel Kiper's summer big board.

So there you go. I'm not at all opposed to thinking about the 2007 draft at this point, because as the college football season starts you'll have the best opportunity to see some of this options on the field. That being said, what we consider positions of need is going to vary as the season moves along. Right now, I think the positions I've laid out above are some that have the biggest question marks going into the season, and thus should be the primary focus for the draft. But again, that's as of right now. As the season progresses, we'll see how or if that changes. But right now I just don't see QB or WR as being high on the list of needs for this team. Not at all.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I love reading draft info and analysis', why can't we do this all year round?

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    I love reading draft info and analysis', why can't we do this all year round?
    It's one thing if someone gets injured, and we know we should try to get a free-agent or draft this certain position, but the real season hasn't started yet, we don't know what we should or shouldn't really do JUST yet.

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    It's one thing if someone gets injured, and we know we should try to get a free-agent or draft this certain position, but the real season hasn't started yet, we don't know what we should or shouldn't really do JUST yet.
    Ya but what I meant was i love talking about who we think will be high picks or who bust.

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    Ya but what I meant was i love talking about who we think will be high picks or who bust.
    Ahh, ok. I am fine with that, but like saying who we're going to draft in August 06, for the 07 draft...is just...stupid lol

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Why won't people accept that WR is a concern? It almost seems as if fans are in denial that the GSOT is ending and we have to get fresh new recievers this or maybe the 08 draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    Why won't people accept that WR is a concern? It almost seems as if fans are in denial that the GSOT is ending and we have to get fresh new recievers this or maybe the 08 draft.
    I think WR is a concern, but not a first round or even first day concern at the moment. If Curtis doesn't resign in March, then we can start thinking of using a first day pick on WR. But I'm really not convinced we have to use a first rounder on a WR any time soon, and by bringing up a name like Calvin Johnson, that's exactly what RF16 is suggesting.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Well I'm sorry for Predicting and killing Preseason time
    RamsFan16

Well I'm sorry for Predicting and killing Preseason time
    It's ok sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6
    It's ok sweetheart
    Never again. Don't ever call me sweetheart again.

I've been violated 232 times now.
    RamsFan16

LARAM is offline Registered User

I like Laron Landry too.......This would be a great pick for the defense.....!!!!! I 'm already keeping my fingers crossed on this guy.......By the way, I never got "props" for calling the Claude Wroten pick in the 3rd round of this years draft.... I called this pick about 3 weeks before the draft......I don't think anyone saw that one falling to us, everyone was concerned about his arrest in January.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast