View Poll Results: Which WR would you most be interested, contract aside.

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vincent Jackson

20 27.78%
  • Sidney Rice

50 69.44%
  • Santonio Holmes

7 9.72%
  • Braylon Edwards

5 6.94%
  • Malcolm Floyd

8 11.11%
  • Steve Breaston

4 5.56%
  • Terrell Owens

5 6.94%
  • Steve Smith NYG

8 11.11%
  • James Jones

4 5.56%
  • I am not interested in any of these WR

1 1.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

A look at 2011 Free Agency: A WR Rich Class

In looking at the upcoming free agent class on footballsfuture, I was extremely pleased with what I saw at WR, and I believe that we need to get one of these guys. Getting one of them would allow us to go a different direction in an extremely deep draft class.

Personal 1:
    Vincent Jackson. He was a target for the Rams supposedly at the trade deadline. I know that their are rumors that he could be franchised by the Chargers, but in all likelyhood he could be headed to UFA with a new CBA. He showed flashes of greatness in the few appearances hes had this season.

Other WR free agents include:
    Sidney Rice, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards (one of those two won't be retained by the Jets in all likelyhood), Malcolm Floyd, Steve Smith (NYG), T.O (shown interest in playing here, James Jones, and Steve Breaston

In looking at this you have to have a positive outlook on the upcoming offseason and hope that Devaney is wise enough to bring anyone of these young (minus TO) studs in here.

Vote multiple, if you cannot decide between one particular WR.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-11-2011 at 03:11 PM.

DA84 is offline Registered User

Re: A look at 2011 Free Agency: A WR Rich Class

Rice offers a plus in age, experience, talent, and potential. And those are just large scale upgrades. He is basically what we all hope DX can become in the future, why not have that now? Lets just hope he doesnt resign with MIN.....if we cant get him, I say draft our number 1.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If healthy Rice & Jackson (the top players on the old Tecmo Bowl, btw..........of course that was Jerry & Bo) make for the best options. But Floyd could be had for a smaller price tag, if they were looking to go cheap.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

richtree is offline Registered User

I think Floyd is the worst option here. Floyd has never lived up to his potential and isn't dynamic enough to work as a #1 out of SD system.

If he leaves it would be for long deal. I rather have Legedu Naanee than Floyd. He provides a true "cheap" alternative with both speed and athletic ability as a WR on a fast track.

Also, TO isn't a bad option if we can't get any of the bigger names because he would sign for 1 year, and could probably teach our WR's a thing or two about getting their bodies into NFL shape.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Only player I like from there is Rice. He too is a bit risky with that hip injury.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I only like Rice becuase he is the only one under 25 not to mention the most talented

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I feel like a kid in the candy store, had to hold myself to three picks.

If you having been keeping up with my posts in the last year(everyone does right?...right guys?), then Vincent Jackson was the obvious choice.

I also went with Sidney Rice, more of a 1a to Jackson.

And don't ask me why but I still have a soft spot for Braylon Edwards.

I didn't vote for TO, because I would rather have someone young to develope with Bradford, but if we whiff on most of those guys, I would be happy to welcome TO to the Rams.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rice and Jackson are the obvious choices. I'd probably take Rice if I had to pick between the two, but wouldn't turn my nose at either. Giants WR Steve Smith is intriguing. Spags likely knows him a bit from their time together in New York, and Smith's December microfracture surgery will likely keep him from getting big money as a free agent. Could be an interesting player to look at, though he doesn't offer the size many fans are looking for.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

One guy not on the list that I would give a look-see is Mike Sims-Walker of Jacksonville. He is young, fast, has great size, and has a nose for the end zone (14 TDs in past two seasons). He's not a "Number 1" at this point, but I think he has some untapped potential.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One guy not on the list that I would give a look-see is Mike Sims-Walker of Jacksonville. He is young, fast, has great size, and has a nose for the end zone (14 TDs in past two seasons). He's not a "Number 1" at this point, but I think he has some untapped potential.
    I was looking at the WR FA list the other day, and his name stood out to me. He would be a very good #2 WR to compliment a stud. He would be solid in the slot too.

But on the list, I'd go with:

1. Rice
    2. Jackson
    3. Floyd
    4. Jones

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If we're not going to commit huge dollars to a FA WR, I'd be most interested in Steve Smith (NYG) and James Jones (GB). Smith is proven as a possession receiver, and Jones looks to be the real deal as well. I'd like us to add a WR like Jones or Blackmon through the draft to be the #1.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Rice had one very good year.... Now he will demand BIG MONEY and some do feel he is proven talent. I feel that if the Rams pursue the young man they need to do so with caution. The WR is coming off a injury and has not been a consistent top WR in the league but will be asking for a pay day that reflects that.

Edwards and Holmes will be Jets so I do not feel any team in the league has a shot at them.

Go Rams..

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post
    Rice had one very good year.... Now he will demand BIG MONEY and some do feel he is proven talent. I feel that if the Rams pursue the young man they need to do so with caution. The WR is coming off a injury and has not been a consistent top WR in the league but will be asking for a pay day that reflects that.
    That right there is the inherent problem with free agency. You almost always wind up paying more than a player is worth, and do it because of one good year instead of a history of consistency and health. In the FA market, showing the ability to temporarily perform at a high level often translates into being paid like you always perform at that level. It's a tough situation for teams, because if the player just had a "contract year" or, as football players are prone to do, have a sudden sharp decrease in performance, the team can be left with a huge contract and no return.

I should also add that in football, by the time a player has reached a place where they have multiple years of consistent play at a high level, they are short on years left due to the nature of football. Getting a young player who has proven themselves is very rare in football in free agency.

I assume Spags and Devaney will examine each potential free agent carefully to try to guard against that happening with anyone, but it can be hard to predict.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Choice 1: Vincent Jackson
    Choice 2: Santonio Holmes
    Choice 3: Steve Smith

I am sure the latter 2 will return to their teams though

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Out of this list, my two top picks are Jackson and Rice, although I do have issues with both. With Jackson, it is his off-the-field problems and overall attitude. What happens if he screws up again and misses half of the season after we sign him? My issues with Rice are injury related. He's young, but already had some bad injuries. However, I know you shouldn't turn down an upgrade at a position solely on fear of injury, and that's why I'd chose Rice out of these two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast