Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By r8rh8rmike
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 2 Post By laram0
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: Looking back was it woth it?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Looking back was it woth it?

The Falcons traded their #27 overall pick along with second-round, fourth-round and a 2012 first-round and fourth-round picks to the Cleveland Browns for the #6 overall pick .

For Julio Jones

Was it worth it? Through 11 games...

Julio Jones ATL WR 34 566 Yards 2 TD

A.J. Green CIN WR 50 832 Yards 7 TD

A.J Green only cost one first round pick.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Looking back was it woth it?

While I believe AJ is the better receiver I think his numbers are bigger in part because the Falcons have a lot more weapons to spread the wealth around.

So for the Falcons I think it was a good call.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Julio Jones actually has 4 td's. 2 vs the colts, and 2 today. Espn's stats didnt add them up for some reason.

He has more yards and td's then any of our receivers, and as Rambunctious pointed out, they have a lot more weapons(White, Gonzolas, Turner, etc.)

This being his first year and not being the primary receiver i think hes done pretty good for the Falcons, and will only improve. Wide receivers normally take at least a year before they become big time contributors.

Hes another weapon for the Falcons and is proving himself to help them out, so yea, i think it is working out for the Falcons.

Green is a beast, he is also who Dalton looks to most of the time cause he knows hes the best option. Dalton doesnt have the same luxeries as Ryan. Green in my eyes is better then Jones, but Jones is still a very good wr and they will each only get better.

I wish we had either of them....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The numbers you have for Jones are through nine games, as he missed three with injury. Also, as others have mentioned, Green went to a team that was looking for him to step into the top WR role whereas Jones was not due to the presence of Roddy White.

In as many starts and two fewer games, Jones as a rookie has already matched and somewhat surpassed what veteran Michael Jenkins did for the Falcons last year as the #2 WR (41 rec, 505 yds, 2 TDs). Could the Falcons have stayed put and gotten the same kind of production this year and upside for the future out of a receiver available with the 27th pick? We'll never know, but my guess would be no.

Opinions will likely vary as to whether the Falcons made a good move by giving up so much for Jones, but he's already made an impact for them on the football field and should continue to get better. Ultimately it probably just depends on how much you value draft picks and how Jones does over the long haul.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

He certainly paid dividends today.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Everyone and their mothers knew that A.J Green was better. And for those of you saying hes doing worse than Green because they spread the ball around more is laughable. That actually makes it easier because people are double teaming Roddy White and have to focus on Michael Turner, and Tony Gonzalez. Julio goes vs #2's, while A.J Green goes vs #1's. Like I said many times before, Green will be just as dominant if not more than Calvin Johnson.
    lostsoul likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

A.J Green has made some unbelievable catches this year, and he and Gresham and Shipley will give Dalton a stable group of young guys to develop with.

I'm jealous of Cinncinnati and how well they surrounded Dalton with talent he can succeed with, unlike our clueless management.

With that being said, Jones and Green are two different players. I like Green more, but Julio fits very well into Atlanta's scheme, and he will explode in the next few years.

richtree is offline Registered User

Phil Taylor , Greg Little, and Owen Marecic -- those were the picks Cleveland ended up making....

Julio Jones is worth it when you team is getting lose to making the next step -- Atlanta still has some issues with Oline and offensive schemes not to mention the defense is still soft

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Phil Taylor , Greg Little, and Owen Marecic -- those were the picks Cleveland ended up making....

Julio Jones is worth it when you team is getting lose to making the next step -- Atlanta still has some issues with Oline and offensive schemes not to mention the defense is still soft
    If it was A.J.Green the Falcons made the trade for, then YES.?
    But as for J. Jones, only time will tell. A lot of potential., but for two first round picks. Id be hoping for a natural like Green.?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How can we determine the value of the trade at this point? Ask in 3 years, and then we can really evaluate it.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Great trade for both teams. The Browns picked up a nice FB, a great DT, and a great DE. Two players on their defensive line that may be pro bowlers. The Falcons need to win, and need to win now. They dont have many holes and #2 WR was huge. The only question I have is are you seriously doubting the trade because AJ Green is better? They didnt even have a chance to get Green so its a moot point.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We should have traded up to get one of these guys. What am I saying???? We'll just bring in Mike Sims (all world) Walker!!!!!!!!

The way our coaching staff wastes draft picks we would have been much better off trading a few of them for a marquee player. Not to mention our FRANCHISE QB could have used the boost in talent.

Signed ****Not Happy****
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Great trade for both teams. The Browns picked up a nice FB, a great DT, and a great DE. Two players on their defensive line that may be pro bowlers. The Falcons need to win, and need to win now. They dont have many holes and #2 WR was huge. The only question I have is are you seriously doubting the trade because AJ Green is better? They didnt even have a chance to get Green so its a moot point.
    No I'm not doubting the trade because of Green. Just looking at the production to this point. One team spent one pick and the other spent a small fortune and you can argue they have it to spend. I think they both will be big time receivers just think Jones cost too much. If you are going to be that aggressive to get a big time receiver I would rather pay for one in FA. I understand the Falcons are close to going to the show, at least they are aggressive.

I was looking at their numbers early thinking if we get Blackmon he will be putting up those types of numbers. Wanted to get a feel for what kind of an impact he will have.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, all the Bengals had to do to get Green was wait until their pick came around and make the selection. Because they were terrible last year and had a high pick.

The Falcons were a 13-3 one-seed playoff team in a completely different situation. If they wanted a top receiver in this class, then they had to move up around 20 spots to secure him.

Consider that if you look at the trade value chart, the package of picks that the Falcons gave up is actually pretty close in number value to the sixth overall pick that the Falcons received.

Gotta go back to this trade as I watch the Falcon losing to NY in the playoff's. The Falcon thought they where one player away from going to the show and gave up a lot to get to the SB. Looks like it will not happen this year. They have 2 points with 9 min left in the 4th 24 to 2....I'm not saying this was a bad move but it will be questioned for sure.
    THOLTFAN81 and lostsoul like this.