ramhard is offline Registered User

Looking good for getting DL help in draft

It is looking good for the Rams getting DL help in the draft. Several O players moving up (e.g. Staley the OT), and non-front Dseven players such as Nelson and Reavis.

It looks like at least one of Branch/Okoye/Carriker will be available and even potentially J. Anderson the DE. There has been lots of discussion on the possibilities of all of them. However, given the lack of FA prospects at DT, I find it hard that the Rams will pass on DT UNLESS they think there is a 2nd round steal (and then my guess they'll trade up to be sure they can get him). Thus it comes down to this - summarizing all the arguments:

1. Branch - best space eater/run-stopper, risk is in work ethic and intensity, fear of being J. Kennedy II.
    2. Okoye - most potential, best penetrating DT, risk is in whether he is overvalued due to his age - and if he truly a run-topping DT or a duplication of Wroten.
    3. Carriker - most versatile, can play DE on run and DT on passing down; risk is if he's a tweener and mediocre at both (and he's said he'd prefer to be a 3-4 DE - so would he focus on the position).

So despite all the discussion - I think it boils down to the above PLUS this key ingredient - how the Rams view Wroten. If they think is will be starting and potential star caliber in the near future then I think you go Branch. If not then I think you go Okoye & Carriker in that order depending on who is available.

If Anderson is available and they snatch him, the Rams need to have a strong inside plan otherwise the D is a donut - lots of ends - Little, Hall, Anderson & Adeyanju; with no middle. Which makes the smallish LB core even more vulnerable. So unless there is a trade, I think the have to go DT.

Country is offline Registered User

Re: Looking good for getting DL help in draft

I agree with the assesment and love the donught analogy, but the Rams may not go DT in the 1st and hope someone like Wroten steps up and plays well.

The Rams could go S at 13 if Landry or Nelson are there.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If Anderson fell to us and we took a guy like Tank in the second round. He could plug the hole. That being said i would go with a DT Branch or Okoye, which ever the Rams scouts like better. I like the Wroten analogy, Branch - Wroten combo could be the furture.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    I agree with the assesment and love the donught analogy, but the Rams may not go DT in the 1st and hope someone like Wroten steps up and plays well.

The Rams could go S at 13 if Landry or Nelson are there.
    You sure are keen on a safety at the moment, Country

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If Anderson fell to us and we took a guy like Tank in the second round. He could plug the hole. That being said i would go with a DT Branch or Okoye, which ever the Rams scouts like better. I like the Wroten analogy, Branch - Wroten combo could be the furture.
    I'm not sure how i'd feel if we went Tank Tyler. Every player has baggage, but he makes me nervous. Maybe Quinn Pitcock is an option?