Rambos is offline Registered User

Looking for help at WR

We are down to just three WR on the roster. With our cap situation being what it is, looks like an elite WR is unlike, not out of the question.

How about Jeremy Maclinm this guy has been mentioned as a possible pick up this off season. First he is not a free agent so it would be via trade. Second he is not a true number one but his numbers over four years are better then anyone we have had.

He's only 24 so he is in his prime. He's from Missouri born and raised, went to Missouri, so he has ties.

His number are not great but then again they are not bad either. Jeremy Maclin Stats - Philadelphia Eagles - ESPN

The Eagles have been rumored to be shopping him, not sure what they want for him. He is in his last year and his salary is $2.853 million. If we could do a sign and trade that would keep him for more then one year, would you consider him? Even of they could not get a long term deal we might want to take a shot, if he does not cost to much in trade value.

This would give us another young WR and we still could sign Danny and even draft another WR. I think he has a much higher ceiling then Gibby.

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer writes that the Eagles WR Jeremy Maclin “could be a potential trade chip in off-season.“

McLane adds that DeSean Jackson‘s $47 million contract extension makes it unlikely that any team would be willing to trade for him and the fact Maclin is a similar type of receiver could at least be enough for them to shop him around the league to see what they could get in return.

Maclin has yet to put together the breakout type of season that many believed he was capable of producing. Pro Football Focus actually has him rated as the No. 93 best receiver out of 104 qualifying players this year. The good news is that Maclin is still just 24 years old and will be under contract for a reasonable salary of $2.853 million next season. Philadelphia has done a great job of maximizing the value of their players in trade negotiations, so it seems likely that they would only consider parting ways with Maclin if they were able to secure a reasonable return.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: Looking for help at WR

Id like to get him, he can return kicks too he did in college. He can get open and catch anything and line up anywhere. And he is from Kirkwood (surburb of st. Louis) and if im not mistaking i believe he played in the Ed for a state high school championship game.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Reminds me of Givens. Don't see the need.
    Last edited by DE_Ramfan; -01-14-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The problem is he's going to want an extension, and it's a huge gamble to trade for him and not give him one.

Based on the fact that Demoff isn't a fan of backloading contracts, we'd still be in square one - do the Rams have enough money to resign Amendola AND sign an upper level veteran WR?

Probably not, so it doesn't seem like a very realistic scenario to me. Maybe the Rams could make this trade, sign him to an extension, and then draft Danny's replacement (Austin/Woods).

I do think, if you're a person who feels the Rams' WR acquisition should have some size so he can be a factor in the red zone, then Maclin probably isn't your cup of tea.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Maclin's Ok... Still won't have a #1 WR.... Better chance of him hanging around Philly... I think the Eagles are gonna cut ties with the big mouth DeSean...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

He's decent but not a true #1. He'd be a waste of resources in my opinion. Not to mention, Chris Givens is IDENTICAL to Maclin play-wise. It was even a comparison made pre-draft last year.

THE DREAM TEAM

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Yea no point in putting a maclin on a team full of maclins... (great #3..maybe 2)... we need to go out and pick up a #1 wr. If we go get a WR in FA

shower beers is offline Registered User

Nobody really knows is any one Eagles player is a "trade chip" right now. They don't have a coach! That said, I'd still pass. Nick's right that he'd want an extension. I think we learned our lesson with Lloyd.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We are down to just three WR on the roster. With our cap situation being what it is, looks like an elite WR is unlike, not out of the question.
    I have a problem with how the word ELITE is used here at the clan when it comes to WR. Before we move forward lets try and come to an understanding what exactly is meant by ELITE. The defenition that comes first to my mind is the one of very small group and rare. Here is a definition I looked up Elite 1.privileged minority: a small group of people within a larger group who have more power, social standing, wealth, or talent than the rest of the group

To me there are only a few ELITE WR in the league right now

1. Megatron
    2. AJ Green
    3. J. Jones
    4. A. Johnson although he is very close to the fence right now
    5. B. Marshall
    -------------------------------------------------------

If you start adding others like FItzgeral, Cruz, Jackson, Welker, Wallace, and Jennings then it's no longer an Elite group IMO

I would love for the Rams to pick up Mac as long as it can be worked out under the cap and we do not lose high draft pick. Mac is exactly what Bradford needs. He is very consistent and runs great routes.

Go Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    I have a problem with how the word ELITE is used here at the clan when it comes to WR. Before we move forward lets try and come to an understanding what exactly is meant by ELITE. The defenition that comes first to my mind is the one of very small group and rare. Here is a definition I looked up Elite 1.privileged minority: a small group of people within a larger group who have more power, social standing, wealth, or talent than the rest of the group

To me there are only a few ELITE WR in the league right now

1. Megatron
    2. AJ Green
    3. J. Jones
    4. A. Johnson although he is very close to the fence right now
    5. B. Marshall
    -------------------------------------------------------

If you start adding others like FItzgeral, Cruz, Jackson, Welker, Wallace, and Jennings then it's no longer an Elite group IMO

I would love for the Rams to pick up Mac as long as it can be worked out under the cap and we do not lose high draft pick. Mac is exactly what Bradford needs. He is very consistent and runs great routes.

Go Rams
    I agree with you... I should have said Elite free agents. I did not mean to say they are the best in the NFL, just the best number ones we could add this off season.

I also agree the Mac can be a nice addition, as long as he does not cost too much in a trade (picks). They are kind of in a situation we where in with Salas, it's better to get something rather then nothing.

I would take him even for one year with the hope of signing him long term next year. What choices do we have? Sign Gibby and Danny back and draft a rookie? Sign Danny and draft two rookies WR? Sign Sign Gibby and draft two rookies?

Pettis
    Quick
    Givens
    ?
    ?
    ?

Can someone help me out here and fill in the question marks? Without out signing a WR for 10-11 million.

We paid Steve Smith 1 million and another possible 1.5 Million depending on how many games he played in and he had a one year contract.

We can afford Mac.

We have big holes at WR right now how are we going to improve this group?

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Get Mack and be the 2013 Three Amigos Givens, Danny, and Maclin. Continue to develop Quick and get Pettis in the mix in the red zone. Sounds good to me.

Go Rams