Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By punahou
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: LSU, Stanford Pro Day Tidbits

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

LSU, Stanford Pro Day Tidbits

Morris Claiborne improved on his Combine 40 time (4.50), registering a 4.39. However, he also announced that he needs minor wrist surgery to repair a torn ligament that he played part of last season with. I don't think this will impact his draft status much, if at all.

Michael Brockers reportedly looked quicker than he did at the Combine, though reports of his Pro Day 40 time vary from 4.97-5.15.

Reuben Randle continued the trend of WRs improving their 40 times, running a 4.42 (after posting in the mid 4.5s at the Combine).

Coby Fleener wowed the scouts by running the 40 in (depending which clock is considered official) 4.45-4.51. At 6'6, 247, that's impressive, and I'm sure teams looking for the next Gronkowski or Graham took notice.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -03-22-2012 at 05:10 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: LSU, Stanford Pro Day Tidbits

Fleener may have worked himself into the first round with that time... good for us as he may let a WR slip. Assuming that someone signs Wallace away from the Steelers, I wonder if they would cosider taking Fleener as opposed to a replacement WR? They could go 2 TE with him and Miller with Sanders and Brown outside. The Denver Peytons could always take him as well.

We better hope that Claiborne's stock falls with that injury news, he probably won't make it to #6.

I'd be fine taking Randle at #33. He was the top WR prospect coming out of HS in his class, and would have had much more of an impact if he'd been in a more pass friendly offense. He's #3 on my WR list behind Floyd and Blackmon.

If Richardson is the last of the elite 6 left when we pick... what do we do? I'd go DT or Rieff, and does Brockers' potential make him the top DT? Poe?
    I believe!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Fleener to the Broncos sounds like a very good match.

I'm warming to the idea of Randle as well. When you consider LSU's QB situation last year, his numbers are actually very good.

In your hypothetical (absent a great trade option), I'd take Richardson and not look back.
    SWFCRAM likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

I dont mind Floyd, but I think that after pick 6 and our next pick- someone's pulling that trigger.

Im actually sick of seeing TE and CBs for our drafts- thank you Spags. So Kendricks needs grow up and play to his widely touted potential.

Im actually a fan on MSanu. He was able to produce while playing for average Rutgers Teams. He has a great work ethic, is a big receiver, and like eveyone else improved his 40 time down into the 4.4s.
    Last edited by punahou; -03-22-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    RockinRam likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind picking up Fleener in the second round if he's available.

Bradford loves throwing to TE's, and Fleener would be his Jermaine Gresham v2.0

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Amazing how players who run at their pro-days are able to cut significantly off their combine numbers.
    But teams still don't adjust for this phenomenon?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Michael Brockers reportedly looked quicker than he did at the Combine, though reports of his Pro Day 40 time vary from 4.97-5.15.
    Dropping five pounds couldn't have hurt.

Reuben Randle continued the trend of WRs improving their 40 times, running a 4.42 (after posting in the mid 4.5s at the Combine).
    Outstanding time for him. Wouldn't be surprised if he snuck into the first round; there are a couple of WR-needy teams picking in the 20s and 30s.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

In your hypothetical (absent a great trade option), I'd take Richardson and not look back.
    I agree. I'm definitely coming around to some of the late-first/early-second receivers. If Richardson is our guy at six, great. I'm confident that while the player we end up with in the second round isn't going to have Justin Blackmon's luster as a prospect, we could end up with a pro who winds up being just as good.

Rambos is offline Registered User

What a year to have a need at WR, seems like five can go in the first RD. It's deep at WR we should get two easy that can come in and contribute day one.

The closer we get to the draft I'm feeling we can't lose with any of these three guys.

Blackmon
    Richardson
    Claiborne

Yeah Blackmon fills the biggest need it would be great if he is there, but the draft is deep we will get a playmaker or two if he's off the board.

Claiborne with the addition of Cortland Finnegan, adding him would really make our secondary very good over night!

Richardson is a very elite back, having him take reps would only add to SJ life span and would make our running game one of the best in the NFL. we would have another Ram running back that is one of the best... it seems like we always do.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    mde8352gorams and lostsoul like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Morris Claiborne dazzles at pro day with Vikings watching
    PUBLISHED Thursday, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm EDT
    Russ Lande
    Sporting News

LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne made a strong case to move up as high as No. 3 overall in next month's draft with a superb showing at Thursday's pro day.

Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier was among the NFL personnel in attendance at Baton Rouge for LSU players' on-campus workout. The Vikings own the third selection behind the Indianapolis Colts and Washington Redskins. Those teams appear to be settled on quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, respectively.

In addition to Claiborne, the Tigers' pro day featured wide receiver Rueben Randle and defensive tackle Michael Brockers, both likely first-round selections.

According to sources, Claiborne had a more impressive performance Thursday than his Scouting Combine workout last month. He ran in the mid-4.4s on his 40-yard dashes. He also displayed a combination of smooth and fluid movement with explosiveness out of his transition.

Catching the ball like a receiver in the drills, Claiborne also proved he has the soft hands to make interceptions. As a result, the Vikings will strongly consider taking him ahead of offensive tackle Matt Kalil with the third overall pick.

Randle’s excellent performance likely locked up a spot in the draft's top 20 which the first round is called on April 26. According to two NFL people, Rueben timed between 4.33 and 4.37 on both of his 40 times. In addition, he ran exceptional routes.

At 6-3 and 212 pounds, Randle displayed the ability to get in and out of his cuts with quickness. According to a source at the workout, “He did an outstanding job of reaching out and plucking the ball with his hands.”

Meanwhile, Brockers did everything necessary to prove he's an elite two-gap defensive lineman. And although his performance did not raise him to the level of Claiborne or Randle, Brockers looked trim and in great shape for a 6-5, 315-pound lineman.

He displayed good foot agility, excellent balance and good overall body control. On the down side, Brockers ran in the 5.2s and didn't look like a quick-twitch athlete.

Brockers' overall workout confirmed that he can be as effective as a defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme or as a five-technique end in a 3-4.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd love for a draft with Claiborne (Rd 1) and Randle (Rd 2).

THE DREAM TEAM

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd love for a draft with Claiborne (Rd 1) and Randle (Rd 2).
    I would take that one two in a heartbeat.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Just curious but do they measure the time for say... the first 10-15 yards of the 40? Or is there some other short yard speed burst they measure? I'm not up to date on what all these drills are. I'd much rather know how fast Brockers can chase down a QB than how fast he can get deep. If you're relying on your DT to chase down guys 40 yards deep you're doing it wrong.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Just curious but do they measure the time for say... the first 10-15 yards of the 40? Or is there some other short yard speed burst they measure? I'm not up to date on what all these drills are. I'd much rather know how fast Brockers can chase down a QB than how fast he can get deep. If you're relying on your DT to chase down guys 40 yards deep you're doing it wrong.
    Yes they do measure the first 10 yards of the 40 as well. Its called a "10 yard split".

THE DREAM TEAM