Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

LT Clady, TE Cook expected to receive franchise tags

Ryan Clady is an unrestricted free agent who isn't going anywhere.

The Broncos' All Pro left tackle will return to protect Peyton Manning's blind side.

"We're going to tag him," said John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations.

Elway added that placing a franchise tag on Clady, a procedure that will happen as soon as Tuesday, does not preclude the team and player from working out a multiyear contract extension.

"We'd like to work something out, like we did last year," Elway said, referring to contract negotiations with Clady that broke off before training camp. "Things have changed a little bit because he's coming off a shoulder surgery. But we like Ryan. We like him a lot as a
    The Broncos drafted Clady in the first round of the draft in 2008. (Denver Post file)
    player and we'd like to get something done."
    Source: Broncos' Ryan Clady to receive franchise tag as John Elway begins busy offseason - The Denver Post

Starting Monday, the Titans will have a two-week window to use a franchise tag on one of their free agents. The team isnít expected to make the move immediately, however.

While the Titans arenít obligated to use the tag, theyíre expected to do so. Tight end Jared Cook is the most likely player to be tagged, since the Titans donít want to lose him, and reaching a long-term deal with him any time soon isnít expected.

The franchise tag for tight ends is expected to be roughly $5.967 million.
    Source: Titans expected to use tag on Jared Cook | Titans Insider

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: LT Clady, TE Cook expected to receive franchise tags

I feel bad for Jared Cook. He probably wants nothing to do with that offense. He has a lot of potential thats just being wasted. As for Clady, I don't think many of us expected him to reach the FA market. 2 good players retained, who next?

THE DREAM TEAM

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: LT Clady, TE Cook expected to receive franchise tags

It kinda shows what power that Peyton has over in Denver, as I would expect that his desire for continuity is the main reason for them looking to tag Clady. While he's certainly worth the tag, being as good as he is, given that he is coming off an injury and into a bit of a flood in OT's, I'm surprised that the Broncos are saying up front that they will use it. In another situation, I would think that they may be more willing to roll the dice and offer him a lower contract.
    I believe!