Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT vs. MLB

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

LT vs. MLB

There's no doubt that our RAMS need to add a premier LT at some point. The Orlando Pace situation is the key. If the RAMS can get Pace and his agent on the same page as our RAMS this year. (big IF) Then what is the rush for this years draft as far as the LT position is concerned. What do the LT prospects look like for next years draft? I think it's pretty safe to say that we will have a fairly high draft pick next year. It hurts to say that but it's more than likely accurate.

Curry has been described by many of the so-called experts as the safest pick in this years draft. We do need a MLB. Keeping in mind that all draft picks are a gamble. Do we pass on the LT's this year or pick one up in the later rounds and go for the MLB that is very promising? Again this all hinders on the Pace situation. Obviously if Pace is gone then this is all a mute point.

Some will say that using the #2 pick in the draft on a MLB is too high. My rebuttle to that is that we need to start doing things differently. Think outside the box. Whatever our RAMS approach has been the last several years hasn't been working. Our won/loss record is proof of that. It's time to be a leader instead of a follower.

What I'm suggesting is this: (with Pace on board)
    1. Curry
    2. Best available Center

From there on we take the best available player on the board that fits our many needs. (LT/DT/DE/SS/CB/WR/QB) I threw in CB and WR just in case Holt and Bartell are gone. Of course Free Agency could change the list of needs greatly.

Bring it on...blast away.
    Last edited by laram0; -02-24-2009 at 10:33 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: LT vs. MLB

There should be some highly regarded LT prospects next season (Okung, Williams, Black) but you never know how things are going to pan out. You really just can't bank on being able to address a certain position more than a year from now in a draft where everything could change. We have no idea where we'll be picking, and we have no idea what the value of the tackles will be.

Look at how far Michael Oher's stock has changed since before the '08 season. He was the top tackle prospect coming into this season and now may not go in the top ten. Look at the Chiefs last year. Before Jake Long became a contender for the first overall pick, many people thought he was a lock to go to Kansas City. The Chiefs ended up missing out on him. Thankfully they had another pick they could use at the position. We probably won't have that luxury in 2010.

You say that the Rams should use the #2 pick on a linebacker because the previous Rams approach hasn't been working. But it's not just the Rams' approach that's prevented a LB from going high. In the last decade, only one linebacker has been taken in the top ten. That's not just a Rams' approach, that's an NFL approach. Simply put, a franchise MLB is not viewed as having the kind of impact or importance that a franchise LT has. Or, to expand, a franchise QB or franchise DE.

Right or wrong, those positions are valued more and viewed as more important to a team than middle linebacker, and that's one of the reasons you don't see linebackers taken that high. Now, maybe Curry breaks those rules this year and is taken in the top three, maybe he doesn't. But until there's a cap for rookie contracts, linebackers are going to have a large uphill battle when it comes to being taken that high. Teams just don't view them as being as worthy of those resources (high pick & huge contract) as other positions.

That said, I think we all agree that Curry is simply a fantastic prospect, and I'd be very happy if he was drafted by the Rams... so long as we have another plan to adequately address our tackle situation. Because we can't keep saying "maybe next year" to a future left tackle. Most agree that you shouldn't take lesser prospects out of need, but at some point, needs have to be addressed if a team is going to improve. The odds of a tackle taken in the third round or later actually developing into a future starter at the position are not good. Left tackle is arguably the second most important position on your entire football team, and the Rams have a chance to add one of this year's elite tackle prospects, both of whom IMO have shown themselves to be worthy of the pick.

If the Rams are going to take Curry, I think it needs to be contingent on two things: (1) that Curry is graded significantly better than either of the two OTs available, and (2) that the Rams have some other plan to acquire a left tackle of the future. If the grades between Curry and the LTs are close, I think the pick ultimately becomes a tackle. If Curry is simply graded much better than either of the tackles, the Rams may brush off past precedent and take the defensive playmaker.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    The Orlando Pace situation is the key.
    I agree with this 100%. If (a) Pace is released, and (b) a replacement is not obtained in FA (I don't know that there is even anyone available at this point), then I would be very surprised if the Rams don't opt for a LT with their first round pick.

The only other viable option, though a potentially risky one, would be to take Curry at #2 (that is, if the Lions don't take him first), and try to trade up into the 20s of the first round to make a run at a falling prospect (Oher, A.Smith).

On the other hand, if Pace is retained, the Rams could afford to go with Curry in the first round and draft an OT who could be developed behind Pace for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The only other viable option, though a potentially risky one, would be to take Curry at #2 (that is, if the Lions don't take him first), and try to trade up into the 20s of the first round to make a run at a falling prospect (Oher, A.Smith).
    Or a rising one (Beatty).

On the other hand, if Pace is retained, the Rams could afford to go with Curry in the first round and draft an OT who could be developed behind Pace for a year.
    Perhaps, but they still may have to trade back up to get the guy they want, ala the Panthers last year. Though I'd really rather not trade away our 2010 first rounder.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Another consideration would be whether the Rams think that Maualuga or Laurinaitis might potentially fall to pick #35. If there is a chance of that happening, I might prefer to go with Monroe/J.Smith in Round 1 and hope to get one of those guys in Round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Perhaps, but they still may have to trade back up to get the guy they want, ala the Panthers last year. Though I'd really rather not trade away our 2010 first rounder.
    There's no way that I want to see us trade our 1st pick in 2010. Rebuilding, rebuilding, rebuilding.....

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Another consideration would be whether the Rams think that Maualuga or Laurinaitis might potentially fall to pick #35. If there is a chance of that happening, I might prefer to go with Monroe/J.Smith in Round 1 and hope to get one of those guys in Round 2.
    I agree. we have to try and recover from BRDS quickly(BRDS= Battered Ram Draftnik Syndrome) and remember that Spoon was drafted in the 3rd round. Zach Thomas in the 5th, Posluszny in the 2nd,I think.

If Devaney is as good as we hope, he WILL find good players beyond our first two picks.

And that if Spags is as good as we hope , it will be a while before we pick in the top 5 again where premier LTs usually go in any given year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    If the Rams are going to take Curry, I think it needs to be contingent on two things: (1) that Curry is graded significantly better than either of the two OTs available, and (2) that the Rams have some other plan to acquire a left tackle of the future.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Nick on this one. If on a 5-point scale, Curry and the top OT are close to each other, say within 0.5 points, then yea, go OT with that being the more pressing need and the more important position. However, if (as I suspect) the difference between Curry and the top OT is >0.5 points, I'd select Curry.

Just the opinion of one random fan, but I think Curry is that much better of a LB than Smith/Monroe is an OT. Smith and Monroe each have notable gaps in their game. Not significant but notable. Curry has yet to show even a notable gap in his game. Listen to the experts, they seem to be searching trying to find something to knock the guy on.

Ultimately, I love the position we're in because a decision will have to be made between three outstanding prospects (Smith, Monroe, Curry) that will make this franchise better immediately. Of the three, two will be present and of the two I'll be happy either way.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Just the opinion of one random fan, but I think Curry is that much better of a LB than Smith/Monroe is an OT. Smith and Monroe each have notable gaps in their game. Not significant but notable. Curry has yet to show even a notable gap in his game. Listen to the experts, they seem to be searching trying to find something to knock the guy on.
    HUb, what have you heard as far as the gaps that exist in the games of Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe? BTW I agree that I haven't heard a discouragin' word concerning Curry. He sounds like he's the real deal.

WHAT SAY YE?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

If we can restructure Pace it would be great to grab Curry at number 2... but another great thing about keeping Pace is it would allow us to wait on our OT until round 3 and go after Xavier Fulton. I think this guy has more potential than any of the current premium one's like Smith or Monroe... he just needs help and a year to get there. This would also free up our 2nd pick to get a quality center or maybe even SS William Moore or we could even spoil ourselves with a wide receiver like Robiskie or maybe Ron Brace is still available or... well you get the point.

IMHO

I wholeheartedly agree with Nick on this one. If on a 5-point scale, Curry and the top OT are close to each other, say within 0.5 points, then yea, go OT with that being the more pressing need and the more important position. However, if (as I suspect) the difference between Curry and the top OT is >0.5 points, I'd select Curry.
    That's just it, which is the most pressing need LT or MLB?

There's a chance of that happening as well, yes. Though a recent report on SI.com from Tony Pauline claimed that many NFL people at the Combine expressed concern about Maualuga's "well being" and his decision making "in the past few months." Not sure what that's about at all..

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    There's no way that I want to see us trade our 1st pick in 2010. Rebuilding, rebuilding, rebuilding.....
    Agreed completely.

I've read more than one scouting report that suggests his awareness in pass protection as well as his ability to change direction are not great. He does not have many pass rush moves when asked to blitz. There's other stuff that comes up as well depending on the evaluator, and let's also not forget that if we drafted him, we'd likely be asking him to play somewhere he never has before. Take that all for what it's worth, but I doubt pro scouts across the league are really struggling to find any weaknesses in Curry's game. Everyone has weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    but another great thing about keeping Pace is it would allow us to wait on our OT until round 3 and go after Xavier Fulton. I think this guy has more potential than any of the current premium one's like Smith or Monroe... he just needs help and a year to get there.
    Personally I think Fulton would need a lot of help and time to get to where Smith and Monroe are now, let alone where they could be if they continue to improve. I'm not a huge fan, but the fact that Fulton just recently moved to OL does mean he could have some untapped potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    HUb, what have you heard as far as the gaps that exist in the games of Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe? BTW I agree that I haven't heard a discouragin' word concerning Curry. He sounds like he's the real deal.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Nothing troubling for certain. But Smith has played in an offense that keeps him in a two point stance. So from a pro style offense, he is a question mark. Monroe could stand to improve his run blocking and needs to be more of a finisher. Having said that, I would not have a problem with either of them as a Ram.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I've read more than one scouting report that suggests his awareness in pass protection as well as his ability to change direction are not great. He does not have many pass rush moves when asked to blitz. There's other stuff that comes up as well depending on the evaluator, and let's also not forget that if we drafted him, we'd likely be asking him to play somewhere he never has before. Take that all for what it's worth, but I doubt pro scouts across the league are really struggling to find any weaknesses in Curry's game. Everyone has weaknesses.
    Yes, yes, of course, Nick.....everyone has weaknesses. I don't mean to be painting him as Superman or anything (even Superman had Kryptonite). I'm simply saying, in his game, there's nothing immediate to point to that would cause a team to pause. Now, moving to MLB, that is worth pause. But that's the Rams scheme not his game.........but certainly not to be overlooked.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Now, moving to MLB, that is worth pause.
    This seems like a reasonably substantial point to me. In considering Curry, you have to look at the fact that you're essentially drafting an OLB and then maybe looking to have him play a different position, at the next level, that he's never played before. Definitely something to think about when decided what position to use the number two pick on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast