Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LT vs. MLB

schut39 is offline Registered User

Re: LT vs. MLB

This is how I see it happening. In free agency, I think we could get a center like Matt Birk or Saturday from the Colts and also a MLB, such as Channing Crowder or Bart Scott, whichever we have the money for. Then with pick number two we could grab Curry and all of a sudden we have outstanding linebackers! Witherspoon, Crowder/Scott, Curry. That would be amazing. And in the second round I say we could grab a OT, like that guy named Meredith or the best tackle available. That way we would have a leading veteran center and a good tackle. What do you think about this laram0?

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

I believe that almost as significant as the Pace situation in this argument is the crops of MLB available via FA this year. Paying Curry the salary of a #2 pick becomes more questionable when compared to the contracts we would be able to give to proven talents throughout the league.

ramdan is offline Registered User

Why not ...

1.) Curry
    2.) William Beatty OT Connecticut ?

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

To : RAMDAN

I live in CA. I love your Avetar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the ? at hand. I think Defence 1st, but the Left Tackle position is 1 in my book. It is real Hard to find a real good starting left tackle every year, where as it is alot easier to find a good LB. If Pace is traded or cut the Rams will need a starting OT. OT Barron has only 1 year remaining on his contract.
    Let's say the Rams are 6-10 next season Do you think you can find a star L-OT picking around the 10th pick. I don't think so.

ramdan is offline Registered User

A couple of things:

the avetar is not original. I think I stole it off this website probably 4 or 5 years ago.

Who's to say Beatty can't be a starting LT? Maybe even a star. He's been an animal in college though he plays for a small school in a less than stellar conference but by the time the draft rolls around he may not even be available at pick #35.

Although its looking more likely, we may not lose Pace.

eldfan is offline Registered User

My thought we need both as much. If Curry is the best player at #2 pick take him itís not like we donít need him. If one of the OTís is solid but not great why takes an OT # 2 pick and pass on a potential great player. Iím not sure about Jason Smith. I hope the talent evaluators know what they are doing. I just say pick the best player there thatís what we need.
    :ramlogo:

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think you guys have left out a verry viable option at the top of the second in Jamon Meridith. I think he will be the best tackle available in the second round. He is strong and athletic he reminds me of Tony Ugoh.

On the flip side I think a guy like Lauranatis or Mauluga has a better chance of falling than a Beatty or a Britton does.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramdan View Post
    2.) William Beatty OT Connecticut ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramdan View Post
    Who's to say Beatty can't be a starting LT? Maybe even a star. He's been an animal in college though he plays for a small school in a less than stellar conference but by the time the draft rolls around he may not even be available at pick #35.
    I think Beatty has played his way out of the second round this offseason. He's likely a late first round pick, possibly to Detroit @ 20, Philadelphia with one of their two picks, maybe Pittsburgh, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I think you guys have left out a verry viable option at the top of the second in Jamon Meridith. I think he will be the best tackle available in the second round. He is strong and athletic he reminds me of Tony Ugoh.
    Maybe. Meridith had a good combine and probably will be the best of the available second round tackles, but I'm not convinced he's a future LT in this league.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

it is alot easier to find a good LB.
    Then why have we not had a good MLB since 2001?

Hopefully, I've been quite clear on my position for what the Rams need to do.
    Step 1. Stack the board.
    Step 2. Select the top player on said board.

If that player is Curry, take him. If that player is Monroe, take him. If that player is Smith, take him. If that player is Nick, take him.

But don't take a lesser player, just because of a perceived positional need or some pseudo-theory of historical trends.

Would you pass on Ray Lewis to select Orlando Pace? Yea, probably so.
    Would you pass on Lavar Arrington to select Orlando Pace? Heck yea!
    Would you pass on Ray Lewis to select Robert Gallery? Of course not!
    Would you pass on Lavar Arrington to select Robert Gallery? Umm, I don't know.

Point being, I want the "powers that be" make their selection based on the individual they are drafting, not the position they are drafting. Position is simply one factor of many, not the limiting agent.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Actually, this team has more holes than a Krispy Kreme donut shop. They could draft just about any position in round 1 and be ok.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Another consideration would be whether the Rams think that Maualuga or Laurinaitis might potentially fall to pick #35. If there is a chance of that happening, I might prefer to go with Monroe/J.Smith in Round 1 and hope to get one of those guys in Round 2.
    I want Curry but I'd be also thrilled with this option but do you think either of those guys is likely to be there for us in the 2nd round?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12