throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mack Anything But a 'Bad Fit For Gregg Williams Defense

demiurge is offline Registered User

Re: Mack Anything But a 'Bad Fit For Gregg Williams Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    You don't have to accept anything, you can live in denial for as long as you desire.
    You are truly a legend in your own mind.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fortuniner
    I'm going to leave you with this last question, and then I'm done with this debate.

Can you name the one player in this draft, that if he were eligible, could've been the first pick in each of the last 2 drafts?

I rest my case.
    And the answer is............none.

The Chiefs would not have passed on Fisher for Clowney in 2013.
    The Colts would not have passed on Luck for Clowney in 2012.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

demiurge is offline Registered User

Anyone have any numbers on how often the other teams in the division are in 3 or 4 wide receiver sets?

Because I think both SF and Seattle run their base offense more than the majority of other teams in the league. They are both run first power offenses for the last few years.

Of course, I haven't seen the stats so I could be mistaken - but that is my impression.

If so, wouldn't an elite OLB be a good fit for the primary goal of any team - win their own division?

Again, I'd MUCH prefer us upgrade our Oline and S positions first. But if the Rams evaluate either Barr or Mack as a truly elite OLB, I could certainly see reasons to draft them. Especially if we trade down and miss on Matthews or Robinson.

So I'd say the likelihood that scenario plays out is small, but possible. If that was the case and our scouts saw either of these guys as big time players, I for one wouldn't be disappointed. Great coaches find ways to use their talent. Average coaches say 'no, they have to fit the system.'

I mean, honestly, would it truly be a bad thing to get the next potential Von Miller or Lance Briggs? Heck, Willis was the 11th pick.

Try this out - Rams trade out of #2 with say Atlanta for #6, and 2nd rounders this year and next. Considering how deep this draft is supposed to be, I think value in the 2nd round will be high.

However, teams shy away from the top QBs, and Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, and Matthews are all off the board when we pick at 6.

We take OLB Mack at 6.
    S Dix at 13.
    OG Yankey or OT Cyrus Kouandijo (whichever is available) with Atlanta's pick at 37.
    OG Gabe Jackson or OT Morgan Moses at our 2nd round pick at 45.
    The best available CB in round 3, maybe Stanley Jean Baptiste or Keith Mcgill.

That seems to me the basis of a pretty solid draft that upgrade our talent and makes us a tougher team able to butt noses directly with the playoff teams in our division. Of course, it will depend on the grades that our scouts give the players - might be remarkably different from that even in my hypothetical, but that type of draft would be a good one for the Rams I think.

Anyway, fun to speculate. Guess we'll see.
    Randart likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And the answer is............none.

The Chiefs would not have passed on Fisher for Clowney in 2013.
    The Colts would not have passed on Luck for Clowney in 2012.
    I'm pretty sure we all know I was talking about this year's and last year's draft. But for those anxious to disagree with me, I'll write it this way.

Can you name the one player in this draft, that if he were eligible, could've (meaning would've been in the mix, much like he is in the mix this year) been the first pick in the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

Once again, point being, Khalil Mack was no where to be found last year.

kman is offline Registered User

he would play ogletrees position which is not gonna happen..our lb's are set...lauranitis, dunbar, ogletree..we have more pressing needs

I'm pretty sure we all know I was talking about this year's and last year's draft.
    So it's no longer the "last 2 drafts", but is now this year and last year. Very well.
    But for those anxious to disagree with me
    Not so much disagreeing with you, as I could care less who is having the opinion, but rather what the opinion is. For example, here you're saying that because Mack was an unknown commodity (to the fans at least) last year, that somehow negates the possibility that he could be the top defensive prospect in this class (as some analysts have stated). Just not sure that's a logical conclusion. Nobody knew who Blake Bortles was last year, but he certainly is in the discussion for the #1 pick as well. And, Jake Matthews, had he elected the draft last year, would have been in the discussion for the #1 pick along with Fisher and Joeckel.

So, I don't see how the question proves anything as Clowney is not the only prospect who would have been in the discussion for both drafts nor does another prospect's exclusion from that short list negate that prospect from possibly being a better prospect than Clowney.

I will say this though......this almost religious, zealot following of fans that Clowney has gathered is truly interesting. Can't say I've seen that in too many prospects.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So it's no longer the "last 2 drafts", but is now this year and last year. Very well. Not so much disagreeing with you, as I could care less who is having the opinion, but rather what the opinion is. For example, here you're saying that because Mack was an unknown commodity (to the fans at least) last year, that somehow negates the possibility that he could be the top defensive prospect in this class (as some analysts have stated). Just not sure that's a logical conclusion. Nobody knew who Blake Bortles was last year, but he certainly is in the discussion for the #1 pick as well. And, Jake Matthews, had he elected the draft last year, would have been in the discussion for the #1 pick along with Fisher and Joeckel.

So, I don't see how the question proves anything as Clowney is not the only prospect who would have been in the discussion for both drafts nor does another prospect's exclusion from that short list negate that prospect from possibly being a better prospect than Clowney.

I will say this though......this almost religious, zealot following of fans that Clowney has gathered is truly interesting. Can't say I've seen that in too many prospects.
    First of all I think you meant "couldn't care less".

Secondly, the fact that we hadn't heard of him, is probably the best evidence that he has not been the prospect that Clowney has been for the past 3 years. Doesn't take a knowledgeable fan to come to that conclusion.

You can try to be as technical about that as you wish, but it certainly doesn't change anything as far as most of the knowledgeable football world is concerned.

First of all I think you meant "couldn't care less".
    No, I actually could care less. Just not much less.
    Secondly, the fact that we hadn't heard of him, is probably the best evidence that he has not been the prospect that Clowney has been for the past 3 years. Doesn't take a knowledgeable fan to come to that conclusion.
    Indeed, it doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12