ramhard is offline Registered User

Madison signs with Giants

I know this is blasphemous, but at the price payed to Bruce, I'm wondering if the money might have been better spent somewhere else (ducking for all of the arrows sent my way!). Madison is getting almost exactly half of what Bruce signed for. And before talking about age and over the hill, he is one year younger than Bruce.

Madison Deal:

The deal, which has been in the works for several days, is worth $7.4 million. It includes a signing bonus of $2 million and base salaries of $900,000 (for 2006), $1.2 million (2007), $1.5 million (2008) and $1.8 million (2009). There is also an annual incentive of $250,000 for four or more interceptions.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Madison signs with Giants

I understand what you're saying, but IMO, Bruce is a better receiver than Madison is corner. Two picks in two years isn't going to garner a big contract.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Madison is over-the-hill for a CB at 32, and would not have been a player I would have gone after.

AR why OTH for corner at 32, but not for WR at 33?

AR,

If you say that CB are over the hill at 32, why aren't WR over the hill at 33? I don't think Bruce is OTH, but I also don't think Madison is. Both had subpar years last year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: AR why OTH for corner at 32, but not for WR at 33?

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    AR,

If you say that CB are over the hill at 32, why aren't WR over the hill at 33? I don't think Bruce is OTH, but I also don't think Madison is. Both had subpar years last year.
    IMO, Madison is showing signs of slowing down. Not injured (he's played 31 games in two years), but in production. After averaging 3 or 4 picks per year, he's only had two in the past two. A top cover corner (getting top money) would show much better production than that.

As for the over the hill CB / WR debate, my take is this. A corner gets older much faster than a receiver. Receivers must be quick and fast, but corners have to be quicker and faster. Receivers know what route they are going to run, they only have to act. However, corners have to react to the receivers motion and keep pace with them, ie. they have to play catch-up on every down.

This is why corners who lose a step are not as valuable as receivers who lose a step.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I half agree

HUB,

I agree that corners have to be quicker, I don't agree on faster. Corners have cushions and can cheat on routes. They do have to be quicker, but all out speed is overrated for a CB. DB's can read formation and tendencies and make up for lack of full out speed. Also they are rarely covering the 'fly' type patterns (posts, straight go patterns) alone.

WR's I think suffer more from loss of speed because they can't get separation, and CB will play them tighter due to lack of fear. My hope is that Bruce can make up for this due to route running, but CB's will play him tighter each and every year. Happened to all of the Jerry Rice included. They can get their catches on crossing routes etc. but the outside routes (deep outs, flags, and gos) are not there for them anymore.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A pure speed WR may decline at the same age as a CB, but Bruce's game is not entirely about speed. He is as good as anyone in the league when it comes to running precise routes and finding gaps in the defense.

When a CB loses his speed, he has two choices: (1) try to become a FS or nickel back or (2) retire.