djdeeznutz Guest

Making the case for Eugene Monroe!!

I use to be a Crabtree guy know after hearing all the facts i guess im a Monroe fan (for now).

Let me make my case for Monroe:

You all heard it before "our OL's been hurting so we need an OT", "Pace will retire, Barron is inconsistant" well i am also sick of hearing the same point over and over again so il try to avoid it!

Why pick OL over WR and LB?

There are 2 young MLB in Free Agency. Vilma and crowder and even if we dont get either one of them is Witherspoon bad at MLB? He is playing really well there. People say he wants to move to his natural position WLB. But Curry's natural position is also OLB so if we take are we going to want to move him bak to his "natural position" soon? Also a MLB gets the mic and is the leader on D i do not want a rookie to be a leader.

I fell in love with Crabtree but sadly we broke up (lol). Has anyone even heard reports on his work ethic? Does he love the game of football like Fitz? Fitz was a ball boy for the Vikings before. Has Crabtree proven much? He comes from a passing system and we are a running team. The defenses he played against were not that good either. He could be the best performer in a Mike Martz system but that passed 3 yrs ago. Now itz a Spagnuolo/shumur system.

Why pick Monroe out of the crop of OT's?

The top 4 OT's are Monroe, A. Smith, J. Smith, Oher.

Lets start by eliminating Alex Barron, i mean Micheal Oher. Always get them confused. They both love to hear the whistle before play. They both are very comparable kinda of like twins. (if ya get what i is talkin bout)

Jason Smith is a converted TE. He is very athletic and could become a TE in the redzone in Jumbo sets. But he is not a big freak tackle, lacks techniques, did not play in an NFL type offense in college. Since he didn it will take him time to adjust to the "pro" way of playing OL. So he is also eliminated.

Now Andre Smith. he is overwieght. So i am pretty much scared that he will keep gaining too much wieght and not be able to guard vs. the pass. People already put him down cuz he may not be able to guard speedy rushers. If he loses wieght good for him but bad for the Rams because than he wont be a dominent Run stopper. So he is eliminated.

Now Monroe he is great and can anchor the line. He is great in the pass game too. I also hear he has a 4.0 GPA in college (can somone confirm that for me?). He is 6-6 315 pounds. So he is good size and he could add a little more to be perfect size for an NFL OT. 6-6 320-325 pounds.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Re: Making the case for Eugene Monroe!!

There was an article about Crabtree in ESPN the mag i duont know probably a year and a half or two years ago. He was a 4 star athlete in football and a top 50 in basketball. Bob Knight asked him which one he would choose and obviously he chose football, but to have one of the greastest college basketball coaches on ur doorstep telling to make a choice chances are you take Basketball. It talked about how he was a Qb in high school so it helped him understand more where he should be as a receiver. When he was redshirted he said he worked a lot of time working on finding zones n figuring out coverage. It was very interesting

I like the kid and I think he really loves football. The closer we get to the draft the more I would not mind seeing us grab him(at least the Sea ****s wont have him). But at the time I don't think this is exactly the move we need, but it could work out if we work in free agency a little.I think some tackles will drop and we could grab a big guy in the second round.

bigredman is offline Registered User

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    lol too long or horrible topic?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

You know, I hear that Jason Smith didn't play in a pro style offense. I'm just not altogether clear on how that affects line play. If they played in a shotgun or spread offense, would the line not still have to protect the pocket?

I also wonder whether Andre Smith is overweight or just built in a way that allows him to carry that much bulk healthily. It'll be interesting to see how he performs on agility drills at the combine. If he does well, that could alleviate some concerns.

Anyway, my impression of the top offensive tackles is something like this:

Eugene Monroe - balanced prospect with a good program pedigree but not nasty
    Michael Oher - total package physically, nasty but with questionable intangibles
    Jason Smith - excellent pass protector, questionable power in running game
    Andre Smith - devastating run blocker, questionable agility in pass protection due to weight

djdeeznutz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    You know, I hear that Jason Smith didn't play in a pro style offense. I'm just not altogether clear on how that affects line play. If they played in a shotgun or spread offense, would the line not still have to protect the pocket?
    Wow u really bring up a good point cuz i heard it on ESPN yestarday they were talking bout him with that guy with nice hair. They just said he played a non pro offense so i guess i made a mistake. But i will look into it and search how that effects an OL

I also wonder whether Andre Smith is overweight or just built in a way that allows him to carry that much bulk healthily. It'll be interesting to see how he performs on agility drills at the combine. If he does well, that could alleviate some concerns.
    Yea i guess your right well have to wait till the combine.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by djdeeznutz View Post
    There are 2 young MLB in Free Agency. Vilma and crowder and even if we dont get either one of them is Witherspoon bad at MLB? He is playing really well there. People say he wants to move to his natural position WLB. But Curry's natural position is also OLB so if we take are we going to want to move him bak to his "natural position" soon? Also a MLB gets the mic and is the leader on D i do not want a rookie to be a leader.
    Just to add to that - the Rams don't need a top level athlete at MLB, really. If they can find a big thumper in the middle, a guy that comes out on passing downs but is a load against the run when he's on the field, then that would be nice. The guy has to be able to make an impact, but it's not necessary that he be an every-down freak athlete. As I recall, neither the Giants nor the Eagles really had those kinds of MLBs when Spags was part of those staffs, if that means anything.

He could be the best performer in a Mike Martz system but that passed 3 yrs ago. Now itz a Spagnuolo/shumur system.
    If Shurmur decides to run a West Coast variant here, then Crabtree would probably be a very valuable pick. Generally in the WCO, you want your receivers to have some size and run after the catch ability, because you'll be throwing them some short timing routes and expecting them to turn them into something. Now obviously the Philly style WCO has been able to utilize DeSean Jackson well, so I think Avery will have a nice role here as well. But it'd be great to get a receiver with some toughness who can grab a short range pass and break a tackle to make it a long gain. Crabtree is that kind of player, so I wouldn't discount him on schematic issues.

Lets start by eliminating Alex Barron, i mean Micheal Oher. Always get them confused. They both love to hear the whistle before play. They both are very comparable kinda of like twins. (if ya get what i is talkin bout)
    It's sad, really. Like Rey Maualuga or James Laurinaitis, Oher might be suffering from just having too much tape of him out there. When people have a lot of tape to look at, it's easier to find the faults in your game. And Oher is just too inconsistent on the field. One second he'll look like a guy capable of being taken first overall; he has that kind of ability. But then he turns around and gets schooled on an inside move against competition he should be locking down. I applaud him for going to the Senior Bowl, but what he did in practices kind of confirmed that belief rather than disproving it.

But he is not a big freak tackle, lacks techniques, did not play in an NFL type offense in college.
    I think it has more to do with their stance and how that affects their reaction after the snap. My understanding is that tackles that primarily play in shotgun-spread offenses generally don't line up in a three point stance but are already standing a the line of scrimmage. If they've spent a couple of years working within that system, as Smith seemingly has, moving back to a three point stance and moving off of the line from that position might take some getting used to.

Chase the Eagles Fan is offline Registered User

Anyway, my impression of the top offensive tackles is something like this:

Eugene Monroe - balanced prospect with a good program pedigree but not nasty
    Michael Oher - total package physically, nasty but with questionable intangibles
    Jason Smith - excellent pass protector, questionable power in running game
    Andre Smith - devastating run blocker, questionable agility in pass protection due to weight
    I think what Nick said was right but it also probably protects the quarterback lining up in a shot gun in itself. I got a buddy over at my Eagles site that is a former college offensive lineman...he schools me on those guys all the time..I'll ask him about it.

I agree with the order of the guys you have above too...I think Oher and Smith are interchangeable and if J. Smith is selected before Monroe it would be based solely off of his upside and not what he has done so far compared to other prospects. J. Smith plays nasty and I like that...I like all of them..I think Andre Smith has the kinda upside on the entire offensive line the Eagles covet and he reminds me alot of Shawn Andrews coming out of Arkansas...he would probably need to drop weight but I would be content kicking him inside at guard where I think he could be beyond good and kicking Todd Herremans out to tackle...I don't think he will drop to us at #21, but we have the fire power to move and get him if we want...
    Last edited by Chase the Eagles Fan; -02-07-2009 at 02:21 AM.