Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

  1. #16
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,290
    Rep Power
    153

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    What do you want the Rams to do now?
    Never thought I'd be saying this, but kick the tires on Braylon Edwards to see if he's healthy. He's familiar with the offense and, again if healthy, is a starting option here.

    I mean, what else is there in free agency that represents a clear upgrade over what we have? The Rams don't need slot receivers; they need starters, and they were unable for whatever reason to sign any. At this point, I tend to agree with you that this becomes the top draft priority.

    Now what has the potential to really blow our collective minds is if Blackmon falls to the Rams and they pass for another prospect.
    Bar-bq and jmk321 like this.

    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  2. #17
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,944
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    We need to stay patience if you ask me. We have a lot of holes on this team. A number one WR is a need but in free agency maybe not the best place to fill the need. If the Rams FO had the need for a WR as a must have this year we could get Mike Wallace. Yeah it would cost us a first RD pick and cash, but he is proven. We have a chance at Blackom but no guarantee and as Nick said the Rams FO could pass even if Blackmon is there. We have a Ton of high draft picks as we all know, we will get a true number one WR, when is anyone guess.

    I'm good with the FO as long as we keep adding young talent at any position of need.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-18-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    MauiRam likes this.

  3. #18
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,512
    Rep Power
    80

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    I agree 100% with Av on this. Manningham has no track record of being a top guy. Sure, he made one great catch in the super bowl. That doesnt make him remotely close to a #1 receiver.

    Guys, the rams did not fall into this disastrous situation overnight and we are not going to get out of it in one off season and one draft. We have far too many needs to address all of them at one time with quality players. It is critical to the rebuilding process that we dont try and plug holes with guys that are likely to kill our cap, now and down the road.

    Do we need a #1 receiver? Absolutely. Would i love to have blackmon? Absolutely. But none of us should panic about a guy like manningham.


    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  4. #19
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Well said GC.

    We had a ton of holes going into free agency. We have signed three people who will come in and start: a CB, a C and a DT

    So we haven't got a starting WR yet. We are also missing: another starting CB (can't rely on Fletcher), two OLBS, another starting DT, a starting RT (assuming Dahl stays at RG) and a starting LG.

    We could get stuck on getting a WR. But even if we do get Blackmon, and another WR in the draft or free agency, we are still going to have holes on this team.

  5. #20
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Honestly, I think the majority of you are missing the point. We need a #1 AND a #2 WR. We don't have one WR on our roster that I feel confident in lining up anywhere BUT the slot. Manningham could've provided us one outside receiver, and filled one of the two needs we have at WR. Coupled with Blackmon (who we may not even get to fill 1 of the 2 needs we still have) wouldve been awesome.

    OR, Pairing him with a rookie like Hill.

    Big miss on the FO behalf, I don't know how more of you don't see it this way.

  6. #21
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,944
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Honestly, I think the majority of you are missing the point. We need a #1 AND a #2 WR. We don't have one WR on our roster that I feel confident in lining up anywhere BUT the slot. Manningham could've provided us one outside receiver, and filled one of the two needs we have at WR. Coupled with Blackmon (who we may not even get to fill 1 of the 2 needs we still have) wouldve been awesome.

    OR, Pairing him with a rookie like Hill.

    Big miss on the FO behalf, I don't know how more of you don't see it this way.
    Do we not NEED DT, WLB, SLB CB, G, OT, C.. the point is WR is just another hole in a long list of holes. We can't fill every hole in one off-season through FA and the Draft.

    The FO has it's plan and spending 50 mil on a CB was a higher priority then going and over spending on any WR in the FA market in their minds.

    We are rebuilding and the FO just made one of the biggest trades in NFL history, we have the picks and we have the time. The leagues is not ending after this year.

    It's a bit early to get down on the FO IMO.

  7. #22
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Do we not NEED DT, WLB, SLB CB, G, OT, C.. the point is WR is just another hole in a long list of holes. We can't fill every hole in one off-season through FA and the Draft.

    The FO has it's plan and spending 50 mil on a CB was a higher priority then going and over spending on any WR in the FA market in their minds.

    We are rebuilding and the FO just made one of the biggest trades in NFL history, we have the picks and we have the time. The leagues is not ending after this year.

    It's a bit early to get down on the FO IMO.
    I no doubt agree with you, we still have many, many needs. However, only one of those needs currently has a 50 million dollar investment that will continuously get pummeled unless he has legitimate targets to throw to. We could have the greatest O-Line in the NFL, but if we wheel out these group of WRs week in, week out the defenses will continue to stack the box. Because who honestly fears Brandon Gibson is taking them deep?

    I totally see your point and everyone elses, this is not an overnight fix. However my point is this 50 million dollar investment's career is in jeopardy until we surround him with capable talent.

    Side Note - I have loved every signing we have made this off-season and have no doubts on Fisher/Snead. This is just a disappointment on my behalf, but not the end of the world.
    ZiaRam likes this.

  8. #23
    DE_Ramfan's Avatar
    DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    907
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    I don't know how you guys reacted but I went out and flipped some cars over and lit them on fire. I also tossed some trash cans through store windows and looted some vintage VCRs while yelling "Maaannniiiiinghaaaaaaaaaaam!!!!" into the sky. Then I went to Taco Bell and ordered 100 tacos and drove off to throw their drive thru lane into disorder.
    Tampa_Ram and #39 Fan like this.

  9. #24
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Some of you guys are acting like we missed out on signing Andre Johnson, rather than a third string WR
    RuffRams likes this.

  10. #25
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,512
    Rep Power
    80

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    What evidence suggests that manningham is a legit #2 receiver in the nfl? He looks like a solid #3 to me, thats about it. I dont see him as better than salas or amendola, different, but certainly not better in my view. Bigger, but better? I just don't see the evidence.

    If people want to be upset at something, maybe we should have been more aggressive with Lloyd. He got 12 million over 3 years. Of course, there is no evidence to suggest he would have taken the same money (or close to it) to play for us. He clearly wanted to go to the patriots. Lloyd was a clear upgrade over anything else we had.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  11. #26
    RuffRams's Avatar
    RuffRams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,179
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Me = Oh Well

    As I pointed out in other threads. I see this guy as a very low #2, maybe a #3. If we were surrounding him with a #1 WR and going after more then this is miss. However, I don't think Manningham deserves a cry that we "missed" out on signing him. There are other receivers in FA that equal or surpass his capabilities in my opinion.

    I actually think its good we missed him. Maybe we were just interested to drive up the price for the Niners. If so, thats even better in my book.

    I know we haven't picked up help for Sam, but don't worry still a lot of offseason left.


  12. #27
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The FO has it's plan and spending 50 mil on a CB was a higher priority then going and over spending on any WR in the FA market in their minds.
    That's because Cortland Finnegan isn't just a starting, # 1 CB. He is a team captain, and a great guy off the field. He will be a great mentor to any young player we have on D, not just in the secondary.

    Vincent Jackson, the only WR who was going to get 50m spent on him this offseason, is not a guy who is going to come in and lead this offense. He has also had off the field troubles in his time in San Diego.
    Rambos likes this.

  13. #28
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

    If people want to be upset at something, maybe we should have been more aggressive with Lloyd. He got 12 million over 3 years. Of course, there is no evidence to suggest he would have taken the same money (or close to it) to play for us. He clearly wanted to go to the patriots. Lloyd was a clear upgrade over anything else we had.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Lloyd's a punk I'm glad we didn't resign him. I regret being happy that we flushed a 5th round pick down the toilet for him. He cared more about reuniting with his butt buddy McDaniels than he cared about even entertaining the idea of remaining a Ram... And how dumb does EA feel? Nominating him for he cover of madden as a Ram , over Mr.Ram Steven Jackson.

  14. #29
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Manningham is not that great. Would I have enjoyed seeing him as a Ram? Yes. But it's not the end of the world.

    Sheesh.

  15. #30
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,944
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

    Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    I no doubt agree with you, we still have many, many needs. However, only one of those needs currently has a 50 million dollar investment that will continuously get pummeled unless he has legitimate targets to throw to. We could have the greatest O-Line in the NFL, but if we wheel out these group of WRs week in, week out the defenses will continue to stack the box. Because who honestly fears Brandon Gibson is taking them deep?

    I totally see your point and everyone elses, this is not an overnight fix. However my point is this 50 million dollar investment's career is in jeopardy until we surround him with capable talent.

    Side Note - I have loved every signing we have made this off-season and have no doubts on Fisher/Snead. This is just a disappointment on my behalf, but not the end of the world.
    However, only one of those needs currently has a 50 million dollar investment that will continuously get pummeled unless he has legitimate targets to throw to.
    The FO is currently working on this.. they just signed a Pro Bowl Center... and he's one of the smartest center in the game from what I have read lately, he should help Bradford like he was helping Rogers. We have all heard Fisher say he is going to protect Bradford, I think that is priority with the FO.

    I would not be shocked if Fisher takes Richardson even if Blackmon is on the board. Blackmon is nit the on WR with upside in the draft. Another way to keep Bradford upright is to comment to running the ball.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. If Price is Right, Rams Will SIgn WR Mario Manningham
    By codeman123 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -03-17-2012, 08:29 PM
  2. Tailgaiting in San Fran 11/16/08
    By joshb19sg in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -11-13-2008, 09:00 PM
  3. Rams pass on Manningham
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -05-12-2008, 04:44 PM
  4. Manningham scores 6 on Wonderlic
    By tomahawk247 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -04-25-2008, 05:24 PM
  5. Game one --- at San Fran
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -08-01-2005, 12:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •