Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    What do you want the Rams to do now?
    Keep doing what they've been doing. Spend the money on guys who can help the team immensely, guys like Finnegan and Wells ..

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    The market is bone dry as far as talent is concerned. Personally I'm turning my attention to the draft and what it will take to either get Blackmon or to trade back up for Floyd/Hill.
    We will draft some wrs who can help Sam. It will be very interesting to see who Jeff and Les really want. Haven't heard much about Denario Alexander this off-season, can't help but wonder if he has worked hard on strengthening the muscles surrounding his suspect knee. Hopefully he'll be able to contribute more on a regular basis this year.
    Rambos likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If he had gone anywhere else, losing him would not be such a big deal. But losing him to the fortuniners is like a slap in the face from our most hated rival. So on that level I understand THolt's frustration.

On the other hand, I believe we'll either make a play for Wallace or we'll draft 2 WRs in this coming draft to fill obvious needs. At least I hope we do.

But I'm not fully in tune with Jeff Fisher's philosophy as far as the passing game goes, he may think that all we need is one WR. Who knows?

Besides, if SF signs Peyton Manning, we probably should be a little more concerned about stacking our defense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    The reason why its not a big deal is Manningham is just not a special player.
    sonnyjames and Rammed like this.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Manningham was NYs #2 and a starter there (Cruz played the slot and only started when Mario or Nicks was hurt) so I think he would have done ok here. But unless Peyton goes to San Fran, I think this will turn out to be a horrible move for Mario. He'll be going to a conservative team without a QB, and a pretty good set of receivers (Davis, Crabtree, Moss). He won't get anywhere near the stats he would have gotten here, and in turn the next contract he signs will be smaller then if he had played 2 years here instead.

I'm pretty disappointed we didn't get Mario and Jones, but this is a multiyear rebuild project. Hopefully we'll use the money wisely on other positions.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

This is really scraping the barrel, but out of what's left, I'd like to see us take a look at these guys if we can get them for cheap. Jerome Simpson, Jerricho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards. Simpson has size, and showed some flashes last year, but is very inconsistent. Cotchery was a decent #2 a few years ago. Edwards has had a up and down career, but has had his moments.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I know a guy who's looking for a job.

ZiaRam likes this.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

We will rally around a yet to be determined WR and we will play good football....
    Bar-bq likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    We will rally around a yet to be determined WR and we will play good football....
    Quick, everyone head to the closest supermarket and start clocking their employees in the 40.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think the concern some have about the receiver position stems from a love of Manningham specifically, but rather the desire to see the Rams do something to fill a need that's been plaguing this team since Torry Holt was shown the door. The conservative, low risk tactic of stealing the unwanted scraps from the rest of the league has not produced viable starters, and while I agree the Rams shouldn't have overpaid for medicore talent, I don't think the entire free agent receiving group met that description.

The offseason certainly isn't over by any means, but with most of the legitimate free agent starting options off the table, we're now probably looking at addressing this issue mostly through the draft which is generally unpredictable in nature. Hopefully the Rams make it a priority and we come away with some talented prospects, because this team needs not one but two starting receivers at this point.

Now more than ever, I'm hoping (1) the Browns fall in love with Trent Richardson or Ryan Tannehill, and (2) some talented Day Two guys are waiting for the Rams when their selections come up.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I know the TO thing is a joke, but they should pop a scout over to see his IFL (is that the league he's in?) game and see if he can play. If he can play as well as in Buffalo or Cinci he's still capable of 500 more yards a season than anyone else on this team.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Maybe we can get Torry Holt to star in a reality show like Irvin and find us America's Next Top Target.
    Rambos, THOLTFAN81 and jmk321 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Okay...

Since 1982 (figured I'd go back 30 years), who are the top 5 WRs who have played for the Rams?

I'll go with:

1. Isaac Bruce
    2. Torry Holt
    3. Henry Ellard
    4. Willie "Flipper" Anderson
    5. Az Hakim

Now... what do they have in common?

They were all drafted by the Rams.

Just sayin'
    Nick likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I don't.think its that big of a deal.....we will draft at least 2Wrs....plus we have 2firat rounders for next 2years allowing us to trade other (2nd 3rd round picks) for guys on other teams.....

We will get some...it will be ok

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I say we give Pettis, salas and danario a chance to learn and play. We will def still pick up one more receiver but i fell our young core of wide outs can be solid contributors if given the chance.

A veteran Ljke Braylon Edwards would be nice. I also think bringing in a Dallas Clark or Jacob tamme would be be beneficial to the offense.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'm reserving judgment until contract terms are revealed. We're all assuming the price was too high, but that's tough to say without knowing the numbers. Looking at the contracts other receivers got in free agency (Jackson - $11 million/year, Colston - $8 million/year, Lloyd - $4 million/year, Meachem - $6.5 million/year, Wayne - $5.8 million/year, Garcon - $8.5 million/year, Robinson - $6.5 million/year), I'd probably put a 26 year old Manningham somewhere in the market of $5.5 million/year.

If the ***** gave him more than say $12 million for two years, I'd probably say they overpaid. If less, maybe we were being a little too stingy for a team hard-up for help at the position.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast