Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

#39 Fan Guest

Re: Manningham signs with San Fran - what do we do now?

We can take a look at Steve Smith, Simpson, Nanee, Braylon, etc in FA

Could potentially move back in the first, adding more picks and target Floyd. (I'd personally prefer Claiborne at 6 tho if we stay put)

Could use one of our 2's on K Wright, S Hill, Jeffrey, or the kid from LSU

Maybe Ryan Broyles at the top of the 6th?

Paired up with Salas DX and Danny, I'd be alright with our WR corps as a unit with one FA and one rookie from the above lists

Manningham isn't worth getting upset over, for me

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I'd really take a look at Braylon Edwards, he put off some nice numbers in Schotty's system during their time with the Jets and maybe he can revive his career here.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I just want two guys we can feel semi-confident lining up outside the numbers. Is that to much to ask for?

I just really hope the FO has something up their sleeves for Sam's sanity.

I see Braylon's name getting tossed around alot, I actually wanted us to sign him last year before we signed Mike-Sims Who? But now I am not so sure after that injury and how he fizzled out in SF. Maybe if Schotty vouches for him? I don't know. I would however rather have him over Steve Smith. I think Smith is just a slot guy, and his injuries are oft-putting.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

FWIW, Manningham's contract with San Francisco ended up being $7.375 million over two years.

Mario doesn't get Super money from *****
    BY Ralph Vacchiano
    March 23, 2012 3:57 PM

Mario Manningham had hoped to cash in on his memorable Super Bowl catch and his clutch playoff performances. But it didn't quite work out that way.

The former Giants receiver's deal with the San Francisco ***** turned out to be surprisingly small, especially when you consider that receivers have been by far the biggest winners in this year's free-agent signing period. According to several sources who reviewed NFLPA records, Manningham's two-year contract is worth just $7.375 million -- far less than the $7-8 million per season he was expecting in a long-term deal.

Actually, his deal -- which was officially signed on Thursday -- could be even smaller. It's essentially a one-year deal that will pay him $4.7375 million, and it makes it very easy for the ***** to cut him before 2013. They don't have to, of course, because their committment to him in 2013 wouldn't be very much either, but the opportunity is there if they want to.

Manningham, the sources said, got a $2 million signing bonus and $2.45 million in guaranteed money -- his full $1.2 million in salary in 2012 and $1.2 million of his $3.6 million in salary in 2013. His cap hits are $2.4875 million in 2012 and $4.8875 million in 2013.

OK, so you want to know why the Giants didn't keep him for what seems like not a lot of money and cap space? Keep in mind that he would've been their third receiver behind Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks, and they have a young receiver in Jerrel Jernigan that they like and drafted in the third round last year. If they had the cap room, that wouldn't be back-breaking. But since they've been up against the cap from the start of free agency, it's hard to justify that kind of money to a third receiver.

Also, who knows if Manningham really wanted to come back? Sure he said he did, but all players say that. He knew he was going to be the third receiver here and he was always been slow to pick up Kevin Gilbride's complicated offese (hence his reputation for running bad or imprecise routes). Maybe he just wanted to go someplace else and sees a better chance for bigger numbers with the *****.

If he's right, he could end up negotiating a longer deal before the 2013 season begins. And remember this, too: All free agents now have their eyes set on 2014 when the new TV money kicks in and the cap is expected to go way up. Manningham gets decent money the next two years and will now be a free agent again in 2014 -- and he'll still only be 27 years old.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    FWIW, Manningham's contract with San Francisco ended up being $7.375 million over two years.
    Makes me think he just simply wanted to go there over here. Surely we could have bested that, given our immense need, and his rather fair demands.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The reason why its not a big deal is Manningham is just not a special player.
    And just because you said that, he'll probably go for 250 receiving yards and 3 TDs against us in 2 games next year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    And just because you said that, he'll probably go for 250 receiving yards and 3 TDs against us in 2 games next year.
    Before I agree or disagree, I want to check whether or not Justin King has been re-signed by the Rams. Could be the determining factor.
    THOLTFAN81 and Tampa_Ram like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234