Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rampete is offline Registered User

Manny Lawson at #11 ?

others may've already harped on the potential of lawson on this forum, but it's finally dawned on me that he may be the rookie defensive player that would have the most impact on the rams team, this upcoming season...

if haslett is going to toy with the idea of using a hybrid of a 4-3 and a 4-3, he needs quality backers. i believe lawson has the speed, quickness, agility, size and ,most importantly, the instincts to make an impact as an outside linebacker in the 3-4 and a situational pass rusher in the 4-3...

he reminds of julian peterson of the niners/seahwks in terms of size and versatility...

at 6'6" and 245+ lbs, with 4.41 speed, 39.5 vertical, 6.90 3-cone and 4.18 in the short shuttle he qualifies at the backer position...

the question is, is he worth a #11 spot?

hmm, if you felt he would be another j. peterson, before he got hurt, wouldn't you pick him at #11...?

or at the least, trade down a few spots if possible...and take lawson...
    Last edited by rampete; -04-04-2006 at 05:36 PM.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Re: Manny Lawson at #11 ?

I've heard him compared to Jason Taylor of the Dolphins

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

If we do pick him at #11 I'm definately not going to complain. Others might because he isn't a 4 - 3 Outside Linebacker but I think that like you said Haslett wants to use a 3 - 4 | 4 - 3 defense and I think Lawson would be great for that. Especially for a SLB. He has the size and no doubt the speed and you'd think that him Playing DE for most of his career that he'd be able to get off blocks.

I'd like the pick.
    RamsFan16

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

trade down for him, its possible that id buy into that but at 11th pick??

no way jose!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    He has the size and no doubt the speed and you'd think that him Playing DE for most of his career that he'd be able to get off blocks.
    The problem is, he doesn't. Lawson is criticized for getting engulfed by bigger blockers, and is not great at using his hands to shed them. He gets by guys through his speed, but when he actually gets caught by someone and can't just zip by them, he does not do a good job disengaging.

The problem with drafting Lawson is that we'd really be wasting him unless we switched to a 3-4 defense as our base package. We already have two pass rushing defensive ends in Little and Hargrove. Which one are you going to take off the field in the 4-3 to put Lawson in?

Furthermore, both of them would probably have to stand up as rushing OLBs in the 3-4, because neither are good fits as 3-4 defensive ends. So again, who are you benching to get Lawson some playing time?

I just don't see the fit. We have two 4-3 pass rushing ends. We have two guys who could likely stand up and play OLB in the 3-4. Why draft another one?

Even if Little only has 2-3 good years left in him, will Haslett and his defense still be around in 2-3 years? If he does well, he'll likely be coaching somewhere else, and who knows what the new DC would like to run when he arrives.

Lawson would be a great fit if we were committed to playing the 3-4 as a base primary package, but that's not what we've heard, so I'm just not convinced he's a great fit here. Maybe you take him and make the official switch to the 3-4 next year, I dunno. I would be disappointed with the pick unless we expect to see more 3-4 than the staff is letting on. And even so, it means taking playing time away from either Hargrove or Little, IMO. But maybe the staff has something else in mind.

And even with all this said, that's not even beginning to talk about where his value is, which according to a couple draft sources, is definitely not in the top 12.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew4EverRams
    trade down for him, its possible that id buy into that but at 11th pick??

no way jose!!!
    i'd agree trading down sounds good, but look who's behind us:

#12 cleveland: changing to a 3-4 and in similar need like the rams

#14 philadelphia: may be leaning towards DE and LB

#17 minnesota: desperate for LBs

#18 dallas: looking to complement d. ware on other side of LB crew in their 3-4 scheme...

lawson may not last beyond #15...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

...The problem with drafting Lawson is that we'd really be wasting him unless we switched to a 3-4 defense as our base package. We already have two pass rushing defensive ends in Little and Hargrove. Which one are you going to take off the field in the 4-3 to put Lawson in? ...
    i wouldn't qualify him as a waste...

i believe lawson can play SLB similar to what peterson does...i remember reading that lawson did a nice job of coverage at the senior bowl...

and he can definitely fill the DE rotation on passing downs...

he has the frame to get bigger and heavier in the future, as most players do in this league...

Even if Little only has 2-3 good years left in him, will Haslett and his defense still be around in 2-3 years? If he does well, he'll likely be coaching somewhere else, and who knows what the new DC would like to run when he arrives. ...

...And even with all this said, that's not even beginning to talk about where his value is, which according to a couple draft sources, is definitely not in the top 12.
    i think you overestimate the weight haslett has in the decision making process of the FO...even if haslett leaves in 2 years or less, rick venturi or another in-house staff coach may be hired to replace him employing a similar scheme...

draft sources are invaluable to us, fans, to gauge an appropriate approximation of the values of draftees, but really, we have no real insight into shaw, zyggy and linehan's big board...for all we know vince young may be #2 and tye hill may be #20...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    he has the frame to get bigger and heavier in the future, as most players do in this league...
    Actually, there's quite a bit of concern that Lawson isn't going to put much more weight on as a pro. It's one of the reasons his stock is more toward the later first round right now.

Lawson came in at 6'5" and 241 pounds at the combine. At his Pro Day, he weighed 238 pounds. According to KFFL, Lawson said at the combine that the most he has ever weighed is 247 pounds, and he's not sure how much more weight he can put on before he starts sacrificing speed.

interesting info. nick, but unless human physiology is vastly different for elite athletes i'm under the impression that weight-lifting and increase in bone density and calcification definitely contribute to increase in weight and size in males until the age of 25 + or - 3 years...

i remember reading that lawson was very skinny and looks almost rail thin...

interesting info. nick, but unless human physiology is vastly different for elite athletes i'm under the impression that weight-lifting and increase in bone density and calcification definitely contribute to increase in weight and size in males until the age of 25 + or - 3 years...

i remember reading that lawson was very skinny and looks almost rail thin...
    I'm just reporting what I've heard about Lawson. You can do with that info what you'd like, but the concern is definitely out there.

Rip32 is offline Registered User

I would not like the pick at #11,if we were to trade down that would be another thing

I'm just reporting what I've heard about Lawson. You can do with that info what you'd like, but the concern is definitely out there.
    yeah...but i thought reasoning and discourse was the reason most of us are here...nm...

yeah...but i thought reasoning and discourse was the reason most of us are here...nm...
    Well, you tell me. You made the claim that Lawson could put on weight, and I mentioned that some are actually concerned about whether or not he really could do that. Your response to that was somewhat sardonic.

no offense intended nick...

i re-read my post and yes, it did come off a little bent...my bad...

but what i really meant was it's a silly argument by those pundits who makes such claims...i read that they, "the pundits", said the same about jason taylor (3rd round pick) and he's panned out alright...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast