Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Manti Te'o ?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Manti Te'o ?

This guy has certainly has been one of the best defensive players in college football, and act ually is probably the second or third best "Sam" linebacker in the draft if projected there.

His big strength is pass protection and hands, much like Laurinaitis.

He's valued now, before his pro day, as a pick from 20 to 30.

Can't say how Fisher and Snead feel about him, but they like big college guys who are team leaders.

I don't think you can just ignore Te'o, and not at least think about him as a SAM LB, where his lack of huge size and gr eat speed won't be aa hindrance as much.

His off field issue to me isn't an issue, just a footnote on Wikipedia down the road, and the soft media here won't go nuts repeating that story either, like they would in NY.

Just a thought, IF they go WR at 16.

Barry Waller

citr92 is online now Registered User

Re: Manti Te'o ?

i don't judge a player on one game usually

but really....i think he showed his true colors in the title game...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Honestly I would've been more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt had he come out and said, all the hype surrounding the "girlfriend thing, was weighing heavily on me, and as a result, I wasn't as focused as I should've been".

You'd be suprised how far a bit of humility can take you.
    HUbison, Nick and Vinnie25 like this.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

If I felt like we would be playing a lot of "base" defense, I might be more inclined to pick a starting quality 'backer more highly. And yes, with our division we probably have more of a chance to play a base 4-3, given the run heavy Whiners, limited Option attack by the Squawks, and a rookie/bad QB in the desert. However, the new "base" defense is a nickel defense or a strong nickel with 3 safeties in the game, so I'm much more inclined to skip the SAM players in the first round.

Further, I think that it would behoove the Rams anyway, to be looking at the WILL 'backers as Dunbar was better in the run game than he was the pass game last year. If we could find a competant WILL in the 2nd or more preferably the 3rd or 4th, then we could split Nickel snaps between him can Dunbar, while playing Dunbar at the SAM when we have three in the game.

While the signings of Long and Cook give us much more flexibility in the 1st round, to where I actually am getting on board the Keenan Allen train, I still think that we nee to go with a full-time starter in the 1st round rather than a part time player in the case of a SAM (or Austin).
    I believe!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by citr92 View Post
    i don't judge a player on one game usually

but really....i think he showed his true colors in the title game...
    What? I didnt see anything bad in the title game. People said he missed a lot of tackles? But he was just hugging his girlfriend because she was about to die. Sometimes life is more important than football. Sheesh, his sick girlfriends on the field in the middle of the game, was he supposed to not hug her because its a serious game???:confused:
    Nick likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    What? I didnt see anything bad in the title game. People said he missed a lot of tackles? But he was just hugging his girlfriend because she was about to die. Sometimes life is more important than football. Sheesh, his sick girlfriends on the field in the middle of the game, was he supposed to not hug her because its a serious game???:confused:
    If he was hugging his girlfriend then her name is Chance Warmack because Chance was hugging him downfield aaaallll daaaaay loooooong.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

SAM LBers don't need great size or speed?

Learn something new every day.
    HUbison likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

How often did Te'o defend against the read option? It would be interesting to at some point try to garner some players from college systems that had to defend the option a lot. Not saying it's the best strategy, I just like to throw pasta at the wall and see if it sticks.

>>How often did Te'o defend against the read option? >

Well for sure against Navy, and Michigan has a great running QB, but that's probably it for 2012.
    Barry Waller

Teo ran 4.7 today, and pass coverage and ball skills are his biggest plus.
    Barry Waller

<<SAM LBers don't need great size or speed?<<

Duh, of course it is an assett, and if a guy is 6-4 and 255, 4.7 IS great speed
    For a SAFETY 4.4 is good speed.

As I said, a lot of LB drafted high and starred with average speed. Plus Te'o ran 4.7 today.

NO SAFETIES DRAFTED HIGH, round one especially with poor speed, NONE , not ONE, and no one near 6' even at over 4.5
    Barry Waller

<<but really....i think he showed his true colors in the title game...>>

They ran right at Notre Dame, with that huge, pro level line, and that is not Te'os strength.

That's why I see him as possibly a better SAM LB, where he won't have that kind of resposibility inside against power runs.

That whole team had a bad game, seemingly overwjhelmed by the spotlight, against basically a pro caliber team. Gotta throw that game out an dlook at the rest of his resume.
    Barry Waller

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Manti Te'o ?

Jlau's Ohio state buckeyes also got handled by not one, but two SEC teams in consecutive years on college footballs biggest stage. Just saying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Te'o did improve on his forty time today at his pro day, but I put more weight into Combine times where there were standardized conditions for all participants. At the Combine, Te'o ran a 4.82. Taking a page from Barry's book when it comes to looking back at past drafts, I do not believe there has been a linebacker drafted in the first round in the last ten years to play in a 4-3 scheme who has run slower than a 4.76 (Greenway in 2006).

Since a SAM 'backer is going to have some runs going his way and he's going to have to fight through some blocks to make a play on them, I think his performance against Alabama is a concern. But every prospect has a bad game, and I don't think it's fair to disqualify a guy for a bad showing, regardless of how big the spotlight.

Here's something Nick Wagoner brought up on the Rams' official website in a chat today that's been in the back of my mind most of this offseason...

Dunbar is very versatile within the scheme so while he played WLB last year, he could play the strong side if the Rams landed someone they found would be a better fit on the weak side. Basically, the search then allows for the Rams to find the best OLB they can possibly find.
    If the Rams coaching staff agrees that Dunbar offers this kind of versatility, and I agree with Wagoner in thinking he does, then that opens the team up to considering more than just the limited number of players who could profile as a SAM 'backer.

No doubt Dunbar could move to Sam, but the problem is there isn't a large crop of Rd 1 WILL LB either, that can rush the passer and cover.

As far as SAM and speed need, I just got done reading my Lindy's, and almost every guy with spped issues they say "would have to play SAM" , or could still be effective at SAM.

Sam linebackers have to be able to take on blockers and seal holes, and not a ton of coverage responsibilities in most defenses. In many defenses it's a guy they use low priced guys because it isn't really a play making position. The Rams were that way for a long time, still are.

The SAM is the guy, when you have Laurinaitis type MLB, who comes off the field in the nickel, sometimes in short yardage, so you don't need an elite talent that makes big bucks there. You don't see Sam LB 15 yards downfield very often, even 10. or 5. Their area to cover is the smallest of a non-lineman.
    Barry Waller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast