Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Manti Te'o Girlfriend Story is Apparently a Hoax: By or On Te'o is the Question

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Manti Te'o Girlfriend Story is Apparently a Hoax: By or On Te'o is the Question

It continues to unravel:

Yup, it’s always the media’s fault. Always.

In what she’s trumpeting as an exclusive, sportswriter Jackie Pepper writes about an interview she had with an unnamed Notre Dame player who admits teammates had strong suspicions about the validity of Manti Te’o’s fictional girlfriend.

The Notre Dame football player, who asked for anonymity, told Pepper On Sports, “No we all knew he had only seen her once. But when the media was saying how he went through both deaths we knew,” said the source.

Early in my conversation with the source, the Notre Dame player said, “He lied, but the media blew it up.” In response to my follow-up question asking if the source thought that Te’o kept the story going because of the media attention, the player replied, “Yeah. Right after the Michigan [State] game. He should have never brought her in the media. His grandma passing was enough.”

The player said the issue was never brought up to Te’o directly, but that teammates harbored doubts when the Heisman Trophy candidate would get emotional to the media about his girl.

On the bright side, the player said he thought Te’o was a skilled actor.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Manti Te'o Girlfriend Story is Apparently a Hoax: By or On Te'o is the Question

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Who told him ”she” died?
    I could be mistaken, but I believe the story is "her" brother called and told him, whoever that is.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I believe the story is "her" brother called and told him, whoever that is.
    Nope, you're correct. Her "brother" called Manti "crying" and told him that she had "passed".

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is online now Registered User

Manti Te'o and his agent Harvey have a drink and discuss their next move.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo Reportedly Admitted to Running Manti Te'o Girlfriend Hoax

By Matt Fitzgerald
    (Featured Columnist) on January 18, 2013

The mastermind of the girlfriend hoax involving star Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o has reportedly come clean.

In early December, Ronaiah Tuiasosopo admitted to a woman from his church that he was squarely involved in orchestrating the false reality that enveloped Te'o for three years, according to a report by ESPN's Shelley Smith on Friday:
    He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. ... The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie...He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like "I know, I know what I have to do."
    It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to.
    That assertion Smith's report was confirmed on SportsCenter later on, as reported by ESPN's Joe Schad:
    Joe Schad

@schadjoe
    Live on @SportsCenter woman tells ESPNs Shelley Smith that man confessed to orchestrating Te'o hoax and that Te'o didn't know

18 Jan 13

Stewart Mandel of Sports Illustrated provided further details on the latest development in the saga:
    Stewart Mandel

@slmandel
    Another woman, who wouldn't go on camera, tells Shelly that Tuiasosopo confessed to her about Manti. "My cousins and I have been behind it."

18 Jan 13

This certainly changes the storyline surrounding Te'o, who has been suspected of being in on the hoax all along and playing the role of victim in order to increase his publicity. An anonymous teammate relayed that information to ESPN's Bob Holtzman.
    In a bizarre series of twists and turns, Te'o now appears to be the true victim here.

That said, questions surrounding the relationship are still unanswered. The fact that Te'o never met his alleged girlfriend Lennay Kekua, didn't support her in person during her alleged treatments for leukemia and didn't attend her funeral certainly leave plenty of holes in the story.
    Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick supported Te'o 100 percent in a press conference on Wednesday night, stating that the All-American learned that he had been duped on Dec. 26.
    Less than two weeks later, the Fighting Irish lost the BCS National Championship to the Alabama Crimson Tide 42-14. The stout defense that characterized their previously undefeated season crumbled, with Te'o at the heart of its struggles.
    Te'o may to be off the hook for the moment in terms of being viewed as a co-conspirator, but with all of the conflicting reports circulating, there is still plenty of uncertainty surrounding this unprecedented controversy.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

In a bizarre series of twists and turns, Te'o now appears to be the true victim here.
    Some people better hope this isn't true. Because if it is, then all those who were tripping over themselves to crucify this kid are going to look like absolute douchebags.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

It seems that the most logical conclusion is as follows:

1. It started as a hoax on Manti Te'o.
    2. At some point this Fall, Te'o learned that it was a hoax.
    3. Because he was embarrassed, Te'o didn't "come clean" right away and, instead, continued to make public references to his "girlfriend."

That makes Te'o naive, foolish, gullible, and less than perfectly honest.

In other words... a kid.
    Rambos likes this.

Still dont believe a damn second of it. If Ronaiah and Manti truly are friends (which I believe they are) then of COURSE Ronaiah is going to take the blame. Whats going to happen to him? Couple people on twitter make a joke here and there and its over. If Manti was in on it WW3 would break-out.

An easy cop-out in my mind.
    RockinRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Just when you think the story can't get any more bizarre:

Reagan Mauia says Lennay Kekua is real

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2013, 10:53 PM EST

Just when it seems like the Manti Te’o story can get no stranger, it does.

On Wednesday night, Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia said that the fake dead girlfriend of Te’o is real. Specifically, Mauia says he met Kekua in 2011.

“This was before her and Manti,” Mauia said Wednesday evening, via ESPN.com. “I don’t think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was — I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa.”

Mauia said he was introduced to Kekua by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man whom the original report regarding the hoax suggests had a role in the creation of the phony persona. Mauia believes Kekua’s mother operates her Twitter account, and Mauia disagreed with the suggestion that Kekua doesn’t exist.

“No, she is real,” Mauia said.

And now we’ll wait for the story to find a way to get even weirder.

Cue Twilight Zone theme.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Just when you think the story can't get any more bizarre:

Cue Twilight Zone theme.
    LOL Crappy player begging for some publicity perhaps?

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    LOL Crappy player begging for some publicity perhaps?
    Sosa how old are you if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be to young to be this cynical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Sosa how old are you if you don't mind me asking? You seem to be to young to be this cynical.
    Haha I was kidding about the new "curve" to the story, its just all hard to take in. Perhaps she was a real person and Ronaiah + Manti used her identity? It just all seems disconnected, weird, out of order, and doesn't make much sense to be honest. And a little off-topic, but I'm a year away from the milestone of 20!

THE DREAM TEAM

RockinRam is offline Registered User

THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Regardless the depth of his involvement........if he apologies to Oprah, all should be forgiven.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Seen this the other day! I guess it may just be worth getting sacked 50 times a year.
    RockinRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast