throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Marcus Lattimore a Wise Gamble for St. Louis Rams in 2013 NFL Draft

Jeff Blake-USA TODAY Sports

As cloudy as the current running back situation with the St. Louis Rams is, there is one potential ray of sunlight peaking through that could make a serious impact in 2013. Many are curious how a franchise that had one workhorse in Steven Jackson carrying the load for the past decade will move on now that he is with the Atlanta Falcons. It’s highly possible that the team will rely solely on youth at the position and one of those youngsters could potentially arrive via the NFL Draft.

Marcus Lattimore was easily considered the top running back in all of college football heading into the 2012 season. His unique blend of speed and power was ideal as a pro style ball carrier which set him apart from any other players at the position. Even though his only full year in college was during the 2010 season when he was a freshman, he showed just what he was capable of that season rushing for 1,197 yards with 17 touchdowns on 249 carries.

Injuries have created a detour for the young back in his career as major surgeries turned his sophomore and junior seasons into shortened stints with just 306 carries for 1,480 yards and 21 scores in the two years combined. A gruesome knee injury this past fall led the back to declare for the draft despite not having his full potential on display. Now in the pre-draft phase of his preparation, at least a few teams are taking notice.

As you may have guessed, the Rams are one of two teams (along with the New England Patriots) to have scheduled a visit with the supremely talented ball carrier. Some have questioned whether or not he will even be drafted at all after back-to-back ACL tears in different knees. Clearly there is interest from a Rams team that would like to add a player with loads of potential for a discount price.

Dr. James Andrews has become synonymous with knee injuries and reconstructive surgeries around the NFL. He has tossed around the word “superhuman” like it is going out of style, but he also used that term to describe Lattimore and his ability to recover. Adrian Peterson earned that term and so has Robert Griffin III, but if Lattimore is anywhere near the caliber of those two gentlemen, he could be in elite company sooner rather than later.

The Rams may not have a clear answer at running back currently, but the draft could bring a possible remedy to their uncertainty. If the team likes what they see from Lattimore in their scheduled visit, who knows where he could be selected in the draft. One thing is for sure; after Jake Long’s marathon physical a few weeks ago, the Rams’ team doctors sure are earning their keep this time of year.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Marcus Lattimore a Wise Gamble for St. Louis Rams in 2013 NFL Draft

He's saying that he wants to come back in 2013, so I certainly expect that he'll be drafted. I'd be happy to spend a 4th, but I'm worried we'd need to grab him in the 3rd and I'm not sure I want to invest that high of a pick in this deep of a draft. I wouldn't complain if Fisher and Snead did though.
    I believe!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    He's saying that he wants to come back in 2013, so I certainly expect that he'll be drafted. I'd be happy to spend a 4th, but I'm worried we'd need to grab him in the 3rd and I'm not sure I want to invest that high of a pick in this deep of a draft. I wouldn't complain if Fisher and Snead did though.
    I agree, I'd be hesitant to spend a 3rd on him but if he comes back at 100% than he'd definitely be worth it. If he comes back and plays for us next year that would be great, but if he's less than 100% I'd rather stash him for the year and have him come in and dominate in 2014.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It appears the Rams are doing their due diligence with Marcus. I am not concerned which round we take him in were we to draft him. Snead and Fish will no doubt determine his risk/reward factor after consulting with team doctors/trainers, and proceed accordingly. After he is checked out by the Rams he might not even be on their board come late April.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

With 2 first rounders we can take a chance in round 3. This kid is the real deal,..

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    I don't get how anyone would consider Lattimore on Day 2. His production wasn't all that great before his injury. There are much better options.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't get how anyone would consider Lattimore on Day 2. His production wasn't all that great before his injury. There are much better options.
    Stats don't mean everything, he was considered a first rounder before he got injured... I do agree with you though, I doubt he'll get drafted before the 4th round