Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Mardy Gilyard Reportedly Requests Trade From St. Louis*Rams

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Mardy Gilyard Reportedly Requests Trade From St. Louis*Rams

By Dan Moore - Managing Editor

Mardy Gilyard, the St. Louis Rams' fourth-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, has reportedly requested a trade after finding himself out of the Rams' plans in 2011.

Follow @sbnstlouis on Twitter, and Like SB Nation St. Louis on Facebook.

May 28, 2011 - Mardy Gilyard, the St. Louis Rams' fourth-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, found himself on the sidelines for much of his rookie year, even as the Rams' wide receiver corps collapsed around him; he was reportedly unable to learn the playbook, and after a few attempts to get him into game-action early he'd vanished by the time the Rams made their ill-fated run for the NFC West title. With Josh McDaniels around there's a new playbook to learn, and reports are coming in that Gilyard*won't be there to learn it—ESPN Radio reports he's asked the Rams for a trade.

The Rams drafted two more wide receivers in the 2011 NFL Draft, and with Donnie Avery due back and a Mark Clayton deal in the offing it's become increasingly clear that they aren't holding their breath about Gilyard's future with the club. It's a rough turn of events for a career that began with so much promise, for a receiver drafted the same year as the club's franchise quarterback.*

READ MORE: Mardy Gilyard (WR - STL), St. Louis Rams

DA84 is offline Registered User

Re: Mardy Gilyard Reportedly Requests Trade From St. Louis*Rams

If this is true, and it very well may be, then good riddance. You have to believe that what the FO saw in Gilyard is what we all saw of him coming out of Cincy, but what they got out of him and what we saw of him was, at best, 5 meaningless receptions and 1 impressive 3rd down 21 yard catch to move the chains. That is it.

Was the potential there for him to come in and make a difference? Obviously! However, just as obvious is the fact that he didn't put in the time or effort it takes to do that. DX and Curry both made far more progress than Mardy, and neither of them were expected to make the team. Thus, good riddance.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

What, did he expect a promotion for doing absolutely nothing last year?

Boy doesn't wanna work, then get rid of 'em.

Geez what a waste of a pick, if this report is true.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Whether is true or not, get something for him. He will not make this roster. He really isn't worth anything at this point. Though I'd love a 5th, 6th, or even 7th for him. He knows hes done, we know hes done. He was horrific last year even though people try to stand up for him. He had 1 memorable catch that converted a 3rd and 15 against the Chargers and thats it. Not even on ST did he do good. Amendola shredded him on kick returns. He couldn't even learn the playbook, which is embarrising enough. There is no space for him on this roster. How could he possibly not learn the playbook? HOW? How can DX, Clayton, Curry, and McRae all come in and learn the playbook? Clayton learned it like nothing, and the other 3 as rookies should. Only Mardy couldn't.

Sorry bud, you're time is up. Lets go get a 6th round pick while we can.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Too bad, this kid had loads of talent and potential. His failings came down to work effort and drive, two things he never really displayed. His road to an NFL career just got much more difficult if this report is accurate.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Mardy requests a trade? To whom? Seems like he's a bit mistaken about his market value. I doubt there are many teams that would give even a 7th for him. At best we could swap a 7th for a 6th or something like that. If we do that then great, that much less dead weight come training camp.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

Sort of inappropriate, but this is what Mardy said on his VERIFIED twitter account :

"Jus read this bs on this fake a** Mardy Gilyard page it's not me sayn nutn I'm happy n da lu"

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Wow..I'm almost at a loss of words. This guy has a real inflated sense of worth. Who would want a receiver can't learn an NFL playbook, and isn't willing to put in the work it takes to compete? Sure sounds like he's just throwing in the towel. He knows can't beat out a couple of rookies (one was drafted in the 4th, just like him) so he's asked out. I lost any respect I had for him. I hope they just release him and cut their losses.

EDIT: Just read the post above mine. I guess I should reserve harsh judgment until it's confirmed by someone.
    Last edited by AtlantaRamFan; -05-28-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Mardy requests a trade? To whom? Seems like he's a bit mistaken about his market value.
    My thoughts exactly. He has been in the league all of one season, and that one season can't have done anything good for his market value. Besides, if he can't earn playing time on a team desperate for quality at his position, where else is he going to get it?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Oh, by the way...

During the lockout, there is no communication between players and teams, so Mardy could not have requested a trade.
    FestusRam likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Oh, by the way...

During the lockout, there is no communication between players and teams, so Mardy could not have requested a trade.
    It's been reported that he could have made the request during the brief period the lockout was lifted, although his agent had denied the rumor. Regardless, his future with the Rams does not look likely.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Gilyard requesting a trade? Why? The playbook is to hard to learn?!!!!

He had his opportunity last season with all the injuries to our receiving corp to get on the field..."ALOT"!

It's his own fault if he feels left out.......

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

This, courtesy of Rotoworld...

The agent for Rams WR Mardy Gilyard emphatically denied on Saturday that his client has requested a trade.

"I can tell you for a fact, Mardy Gilyard never requested a trade," were the words of agent Andy Simms on Twitter. After speaking with both team and league sources, ESPN St. Louis' Tony Softli also concluded that the rumor his colleague Rick Venturi passed along on Friday was untrue. Trade request or not, however, Gilyard's chances of being back with the Rams in 2011 are slim.