AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Mark Herzlich, and the business of Pro Football

The Rams could use a guy like Mark Herzlich.

Well, maybe.

If Herzlich, who returned this year and played well (though not at his prior level) after missing a year due to cancer, can return to his 2008 form, he would be a first-round value at OLB.

As far as "four pillars" go, he probably has six or seven.

But, at the risk of being cold and business oriented, do you take a chance on him?

I'm no doctor, but I have to believe that two things are true (1) Herzlich has a better than average chance of having to fight cancer again, and (2) if he has a relapse, his football career is probably over.

Still, how can you not be a fan of this guy?

I guess the "buisnessman" in me would say it all comes down to where he might fall in the draft.

Would I invest a first round pick on him? No, I don't think I would.

Second round? Maybe, but probably not.

Third round? Hmmmm.....

Fourth? Hell, yes.

I hope Mark has a long, healthy NFL career and life. He is a true inspiration, and that's not a word I throw out often when referring to athletes.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him wearing the horns.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Re: Mark Herzlich, and the business of Pro Football

It would probably depend on the type of cancer. Lance Armstrong did OK.

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    It would probably depend on the type of cancer. Lance Armstrong did OK.
    It was Ewing's sarcoma, which is a rare bone cancer that tends to impact young men. It has a fairly high survival rate, though I'm not sure what the relapse probabilities are (no, I'm not a doctor, I just looked it up).

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I've heard nothing but good things about Herzlich prior to his bout with cancer, but I've never seen him play.

Reports from this year confirms that though he was a solid player, he wasn't nearly the guy he was in 2008. Which is to be expected. But still.

Will he ever return to the player he once was is a big question here, because your essentially drafting him with thoughts of what he's shown he can be.

4th rounder on the guy? Depends on who else is still there naturally. But I wouldn't feel good at all drafting him before the fifth because of his history. But if there's no steal sitting in the back half of the fourth, then I could be convinced to taking a shot with the guy.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    It was Ewing's sarcoma, which is a rare bone cancer that tends to impact young men. It has a fairly high survival rate, though I'm not sure what the relapse probabilities are (no, I'm not a doctor, I just looked it up).
    There's an interview with him on draft countdown with the following question and response,

Scott Wright: You missed the 2009 season while battling Ewing’s Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. Where are you health-wise right now and what is the long-term prognosis, specifically in terms of how it could affect your NFL career?

Mark Herzlich
    : The cancer is completely gone from my body, after just completing my year and a half check-up the doctors once again confirmed this fact. In my opinion and that of my doctors the cancer will not affect my NFL-Career. There is a 3% recurrence rate, which becomes less and less as time passes from diagnosis.

That's good info. Thanks!