Thread: Marques Colston

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Marques Colston

The guy has been great and is scheduled to be an unrestricted FA at the end of this season. He is still being paid 7th-round money and has not restructured yet, though the Saints will probably keep him. If we had the chance though, should the Rams pursue him at the right cost? I would.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Marques Colston

It would be nice yes. Holt won't be around too long. Draft a stud and make Colston the back up.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Colston is a more famous version of Drew Bennett. And I have liked Bennett as he's very much like myself, but all of those guys who think Bennett is a waste of money should remember that if they support this move. When he was drafted there was a question on whether he would play WR or TE. That's right, he was projected to play TE for the Saints and wasn't even included in the Madden roster because he was only maybe a WR and they already had three better TE's on the roster and he wasn't expected to make the real team.

Colston is a good possession guy who can also get down field, but he did best when teams were still having to take Joe Horn into account. Last year he did just fine as a true number one receiver, but think of it this way. Torry Holt had more receptions of over 20 yards than Colston did. Torry had a better average yardage than Colston did. Hell, Bruce had a better average yardage than Colston and had only one less reception of over 20 yards(13 vs 14).

Colston's a great late round find, but he's not the elite receiver that some of you might think he is. That said, if for some reason the Saints let him go, and we have the cap room for him, I wouldn't be sad in the least if we went after him.
    Last edited by TekeRam; -03-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Colston is a more famous version of Drew Bennett. And I have liked Bennett as he's very much like myself, but all of those guys who think Bennett is a waste of money should remember that if they support this move. When he was drafted there was a question on whether he would play WR or TE. That's right, he was projected to play TE for the Saints and wasn't even included in the Madden roster because he was a WR and they already had three better TE's on the roster and he wasn't expected to make the real team.

Colston is a good possession guy who can also get down field, but he did best when teams were still having to take Joe Horn into account. Last year he did just fine as a true number one receiver, but think of it this way. Torry Holt had more receptions of over 20 yards than Colston did. Torry had a better average yardage than Colston did. Hell, Bruce had a better average yardage than Colston and had only one less reception of over 20 yards(13 vs 14).

Colston's a great late round find, but he's not the elite receiver that some of you might think he is. That said, if for some reason the Saints let him go, and we have the cap room for him, I wouldn't be sad in the least if we went after him.
    That's true, and I remember (like the madden thing) when playing fantasy football I had the option to use him as either a WR or TE. He also, reminds me alot of Drew Bennet, you pretty much summed my words up there. The thing is he's not a speedy guy, which is what Saunders wants, but I wouldn't mind having this guy around.

EDIT: Yeah, I could start 3 WRs and put him as a TE and get production equal to 4 WRs in yahoo fantasy football in his rookie year . Quite an advantage I must say.
    Last edited by prof22693; -03-23-2008 at 09:03 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by prof22693 View Post
    EDIT: Yeah, I could start 3 WRs and put him as a TE and get production equal to 4 WRs in yahoo fantasy football in his rookie year . Quite an advantage I must say.
    I exploited that too! Won me a championship!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Colston is a more famous version of Drew Bennett. And I have liked Bennett as he's very much like myself, but all of those guys who think Bennett is a waste of money should remember that if they support this move. When he was drafted there was a question on whether he would play WR or TE. That's right, he was projected to play TE for the Saints and wasn't even included in the Madden roster because he was a WR and they already had three better TE's on the roster and he wasn't expected to make the real team.

Excellent post. I agree with this completely. He is certainly not a guy I would want to see with us... if we picked him up I think we be beginning to look like the Jags, with and amazing run game but no real passing threat.